Should I tell DH I booked a surprise trip?

anabelle

Did I say that out loud?
Well my DH is graduating from grad school in few weeks. He also is in jeopardy of loosing his job in the new few weeks. So needless to say he is stressed. So I booked a trip in October via DVC points and FF miles. We have some left over tickets so we will only have to worry about food.

Well, I had to tell him to leave a week of vacation open for the trip (if he still is working) . He was not too happy. I think I managed to make him more upset then he was before. He was looking foward to having a few days off in August. So I think I need to tell him to calm him down. What do you all think? :confused3

anabelle said:
What do you all think? :confused3

I think he has more important things on his mind than a trip. When my DH has been stressed about work or whatever, Disney was the last thing he wanted to think about.

If he loses his job (hopefully he won't), then finds another, what will happen with the trip? He may not have vacation time then.

I think with his job situation, I'd think about cancelling. JMHO (Sometimes surprises can backfire.)

Hope things work out OK for him.

anabelle said:
What do you all think? :confused3
I think that your concept is a very nice one, and thoughtful. But it might not be the right time.

Surprises are nice, but with the situation you describe, I'd tell him what you have booked and then decide together if you want to still go in October. It sounds like your surprise might be adding to your DH's stress...which is the last thing either of you would want.

:grouphug:

How sad that a graduation comes with job stress. Best wishes. If he wants an August get-away, I'd go with that idea and see how it goes. That's still time to cancel your October surprise. I wouldn't keep it a suprise after August, decide together.

Bobbi :flower:

We're just different than guys, I think.... He may not take the surprise as well with what he's going through. It really depends on the guy, and whether he would be starting a new job or not. DH will NEVER take time off anytime we transfer anywhere for quite a while (and it's still the same job - just different duty stations....). You know you're DH better than anyone here - I'm sure you'll make the right choice for both of you.

Just a fun suggestion: if you decide to tell hime, why not make it a graduation surprise. Our Disney Store had mini-Mickey plushes dressed in cap and gown and holding a diploma on clearance yesterday for $2! You could wrap one up and give it to him for graduation along with the details of the trip. Gives him some thing nice to look forward to. :earsgirl:

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about not having time off in a new job. I guess if it is meant to be, then we will be able to go. I will have to think of something else if he can't get time off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter