Should we do the shuttle launch?

tink fan

Mouseketeer
I was lucky enough to get causeway tickets for the shuttle launch that was originally scheduled for March 18, during the kid's spring break. We were going to drive down (1000 miles away), visit WDW for a few days, see the launch.

Last week the launch date was changed to 6:30 Monday morning, April 5. My kids are off school Friday and Monday for Easter so we actually could go, but it is a lot more inconvenient. We need to be at the KSC by 11 p.m. the night before the launch, so we will most likely get no sleep that night. If we drove, I don't know if I could drive home that day. Airlines tickets are pricey, but not outrageous, but I would hate to invest that money and have the launch change. And rental car prices are absolutely outrageous. It's such a shorter timeframe as well.

So I'm trying to figure out if it is really worth seeing. I know it is one of the last shuttle launches. Is a rocket launch still pretty impressive?

My kids would really like to see it, but logistically it would be tough. Also, I would be there by myself with a 12 year old, 10 year old and 8 year old. The overnight stay at the space center is concerning me. Has anyone been to a night/morning launch and stayed at the KSC overnight? What do we do there from 11 p.m.-6:30 a.m?

I was lucky enough to get causeway tickets for the shuttle launch that was originally scheduled for March 18, during the kid's spring break. We were going to drive down (1000 miles away), visit WDW for a few days, see the launch.

Last week the launch date was changed to 6:30 Monday morning, April 5. My kids are off school Friday and Monday for Easter so we actually could go, but it is a lot more inconvenient. We need to be at the KSC by 11 p.m. the night before the launch, so we will most likely get no sleep that night. If we drove, I don't know if I could drive home that day. Airlines tickets are pricey, but not outrageous, but I would hate to invest that money and have the launch change. And rental car prices are absolutely outrageous. It's such a shorter timeframe as well.

So I'm trying to figure out if it is really worth seeing. I know it is one of the last shuttle launches. Is a rocket launch still pretty impressive?

My kids would really like to see it, but logistically it would be tough. Also, I would be there by myself with a 12 year old, 10 year old and 8 year old. The overnight stay at the space center is concerning me. Has anyone been to a night/morning launch and stayed at the KSC overnight? What do we do there from 11 p.m.-6:30 a.m?

As a person who loves launches, I would say if you have tickets, "Come on down" Having to be at the KSC at 11PM you would have lots of time to sleep(in the car once parked) until launch time. It is a safe place so nothing to worry about for you and the kids. We did it for many launches when we worked in tech industry and got free passes. As for driving home the next day----extend the weekend by a day. No teacher will tell you that this is not a HISTORY lesson for the kids.

I saw a shuttle launch last April and it was really cool. I will not have another chance to see one so I am glad that I got the opportunity.
I would do it if I were you.

(What's the saying...something about not regretting things that you did or something like that??)

YES!!!!

I am telling you that it will be an experience you will NEVER forget. I know it's going to be a huge pain and involve much sacrifice...but the payoff will be SO worth it.

I've only seen one launch close up, but I can remember every detail, including the way the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

Your kids will be telling their grandchildren about it.

I would be all over it!!!!!

I was lucky enough to see one at night from Titusville 20+ years ago while on Spring Break with another family. Incredible, your kids will remember it forever! Brighter than the sun and so powerful.

We watched one in the evening from Epcot in November 2009 and this past August I drug Dh and Dd out to the ASMu pool at 2am to watch a night time one. We had talked about driving down to titusville but there was delays and yada, yada. So after waking up 3 times to see a scrub message it was fun to see it go up. Dh was impressed how much you could see it from Disney.

I am glad that being from Michigan our family was able to see it.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement.

I didn't even realize that we could just stay in our car and nap. That would help alot.

If there are any other suggestions of what we should expect or how to prepare for it, I'd love to hear them!

thats a no brainer... as amazing as disneyworld is. watching the space shuttle take off will amaze you even more. it is a jaw dropping experience!!!!!!!

Growing up in Fl, I saw gobs of rocket and shuttle launches over my lifetime.

However, DH and DD11 had never been fortunate enought to be in FL for a launch.

I bought launch tickets for them as a surprise last year, and they both LOVED it!!

With the program ending soon, take the opportunity to see it while you can.

It is an awesome sight!! Be sure to take video/camera equipment to capture the moment for all time.

Actually, its pretty cool even from the Disney area.

As I'm sure you're aware, launches are often scrubbed, sometimes at the last minute. We were down when a launch was scheduled last year and it was delayed 3 times, once at the very last minute (they didn't get weather clearance). But, we did get to see the launch the last night we were there.

If you really want to see it, I'd schedule your trip so that the scheduled launch date is at the very beginning of your trip; that way, you might be able to absorb a couple scrubs.

If you have the chance, I'd say go for it! You will absolutely not regret it. I've only seen one launch, but it was among the most incredible things I've ever seen.

If you've never done it, DO IT. There are only 4 shuttle launches left. I was in Florida this past July and I am still kicking myself that I didn't go to the launch that happened then

DH and I are both science teachers and I would say GO!

With the program ending soon, take the chance while you can. We are talking about heading down this summer just for this opportunity.

Shoot, I had not heard of the date change. We were hoping to view the launch from Titusville. We'll be long gone by April 5, though. Rats.

I say go for it but please keep in mind that you could go there and they could change the date again due to weather.

DS and I saw a night launch in '99 from the causeway with a NASA family that took us along - Spectacular!
However, you might want to do a little further research - this site http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html states that in 2002 they stopped letting you take your cars and park while you wait for the launch and that now a busing service is only permitted to bus ticket holders out to the causeway. It took 3 tries for our launch to go - scrubbed twice at the last minute - and we rebooked our air and hotel each time to go again. Each night we spent at least 4 - 6 hours out on the causeway waiting for the launch (interesting because you can hear all of the communications over the loud speakers). The family who took us in had a van and we all packed chairs, food, bug spray(!), games for the kids, etc. It was an experience DS and I will never forget - he was a space camp kid for many years and was fascinated with the program. But I would check out the particulars in effect now before I would get bussed out at 11 PM with 3 kids on my own for a 6 AM launch (if that is what they are doing now). At least you will know what you need to be comfortable spending the night. Hope it works out great for you!

A launch at that time of day gives a unique visual perspective that makes the whole experience even more surreal than normal.

You'll feel like you're living in a science fiction film...

Yeah, it's worth it.

DH and I watched Endeavor take off from the causeway on Feb. 8, 2010 at 4:14 AM. We spent some time waiting in the Kennedy Space Center, saw the IMax movie before heading out on a bus to the causeway at about 1:00 AM. The launch was originally scheduled for 4:30 AM on Feb. 7 and was scrubbed with only 9 minutes until launch, so we spent 2 nights in a row from about 1:00AM until about 4:30. It was FREEZING when we were there otherwise the air of excitement on the causeway would have been a lot of fun. (And we are NOT all-nighters any more, not even on NYE!) Perhaps it was because we saw the last true night launch but the wait to get through security was a couple of hours on the first night (a Saturday night), almost no wait on the second night (a Sunday night). We tried many times to see a launch when we were visiting Disney but our timing was never right. I can't tell you how thrilled we are that we finally succeeded. I made a DVD movie and photo slideshow and a photo book. We will cherish this memory forever. Good luck in trying to make this happen for your family.

Advice: "Bite the bullet" and go.

The KSC Visitors Complex will be open starting at 9 pm and until after the shuttle launch.

If you bought the NASA Causeway tickets from the KSC Visitors Complex, you will be bused out to the Causeway about 2 hours prior to the scheduled launch time where you'll get off the bus and play the "waiting game" until lift-off. FYI - I'd plan on being at the KSC Visitors Complex way before 11pm allowing for traffic.

More then likely, your concerns now about the logistics will disappear after you experience the shuttle launch and you'll say it was so well worth all the so-called "trouble" you had to go through. Sorry, rocket launches are no where near as impressive as shuttle launches.

I've seen 40 shuttle launches from the NASA Causeway at all times of the day and night and have never thought it was not worth what I had to go though to be there and see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter