Single shamed at Space 220

I don't understand this complaint. You got the food and the table you wanted in a restaurant that is going to be 100% full all of the time. Someone is going to be at that table, which you think is "shaming" you?

I think it was nice to give you the option of the bar. You declined, what's the problem?
No, the restaurant was not “full”. The problem is that, as has been mentioned before, you are eating at the restaurant for the experience, not just the food.

The main problem as I had said before, is that the manager was quite dismissive of my concerns and that he made me feel ashamed for raising my concerns.

I have worked in customer service for a long time and if I had treated a customer like the hostess or the night manager, I would have been fired immediately.

The restaurant and the lounge are two separate reservations in MDE, like different restaurants. Do you know which one you reserved? Did it require you two book a table for 2 people to reserve in restaurant? Maybe they thought you booked it by accident and wanted to steer you to a single seat. Anyway, getting a bad table is always a bummer, but someone does end up sitting there. If that was all that was available, the choice is to ask if you can wait (which can be a long time for another table to clear, or go somewhere else to eat and explain the table is not up to your expectations, I can't imagine they would charge your for not showing if you're unhappy with the setting before even ordering). My own personal experience is I don't think feedback or escalating after the fact really ever gets the desired result because you're already disappointed and that can't or restaurant, and I said restaurant 100% be undone, and getting a discount won't change the experience or memory. Hope it works out next time!
I absolutely reserved the restaurant. i remember that when I called, they asked lounge or restaurant and I said restaurant 100%. It was not the only table available as it was NOT at full capacity

They do charge you for not showing up. I don't know if they would have refunded me if I would've left due to what happened but unfortunately, there were other issues that occurred during trip and guest services was more of an "send an email and then we'll address it"

I have received a preliminary response from guest services and unfortunately, they have decided that the blame goes to the hostess and not the night manager. I have reached out to hopefully address this by focusing on the night manager but unfortunately they focus on responding by email only

I ate there as a single and specifically wanted lounge seating (didn't even know it was possible to book restaurant as a single as I assumed they wouldn't allow it for seating purposes). If that booking was allowed and that's what you indeed booked and you say the restaurant was not at capacity then sure you should've been sat there. HOWEVER, the lounge area was so much better in my opinion for seeing all the windows at the same time. Could you not have at least turned your chair? They're all regular tables with movable chairs. And you say you mentioned again when they brought you up there? Because I've been to many restaurants and had numerous hostesses bring me to a table I hated and I'm just like...nope...I want to sit there. And they've almost always obliged. Also the restaurant is SUPER overrated and if I had a negative experience then it would make my decision to not go back very easy. I honestly had a great time by myself and I still have no desire to go back!

I ate there as a single and specifically wanted lounge seating (didn't even know it was possible to book restaurant as a single as I assumed they wouldn't allow it for seating purposes). If that booking was allowed and that's what you indeed booked and you say the restaurant was not at capacity then sure you should've been sat there. HOWEVER, the lounge area was so much better in my opinion for seeing all the windows at the same time. Could you not have at least turned your chair? They're all regular tables with movable chairs. And you say you mentioned again when they brought you up there? Because I've been to many restaurants and had numerous hostesses bring me to a table I hated and I'm just like...nope...I want to sit there. And they've almost always obliged. Also the restaurant is SUPER overrated and if I had a negative experience then it would make my decision to not go back very easy. I honestly had a great time by myself and I still have no desire to go back!
It was my first time back at Disney in 16 years and my first experience at that restaurant. Yes, I agree it is not all that but a) my experience makes it memorable for all the wrong reasons and b) if i wasn't treated like garbage primarily by the night manger, it may have been pleasant and I might go there again. I didn't know that until after my experience. I have seen reviews on here and elsewhere but until you go for yourself you don't know. After being humiliated, I left there as soon as I could and didn't bother giving the hostess a piece of my mind (it wouldn't have mattered as she didn't care one way or another)

Last edited:
My pet peeve with dining reservations is how they usually show much more availability for parties larger than 1. If you have a table available for 2 or even 3-4 people, you can seat me there as a party of 1 as well. I have made reservations for 4 people when dining solo before when there was nothing available for smaller parties. Sorry, not sorry.

My pet peeve with dining reservations is how they usually show much more availability for parties larger than 1. If you have a table available for 2 or even 3-4 people, you can seat me there as a party of 1 as well. I have made reservations for 4 people when dining solo before when there was nothing available for smaller parties. Sorry, not sorry.
Do they charge you for the 3 no shows?

I still don't understand how you were "treated like garbage" or "humiliated" or "shamed." That's a lot of emotional reaction to getting the restaurant you wanted and the food you wanted at the time you wanted. You don't get to pick your table in any restaurant, especially not one always at 100% capacity. This sounds completely unreasonable.

I honestly don't understand what the problem even was here. It sounds like they offered you a seat at the bar you didn't want, and didn't take, which you found offensive? I don't understand what reaction you are expecting from Disney or from us?

Last edited:
I still don't understand how you were "treated like garbage" or "humiliated" or "shamed." That's a lot of emotional reaction to getting the restaurant you wanted and the food you wanted at the time you wanted. You don't get to pick your table in any restaurant, especially not one always at 100% capacity. This sounds completely unreasonable.

I honestly don't understand what the problem even was here. It sounds like they offered you a seat at the bar you didn't want, and didn't take, which you found offensive? I don't understand what reaction you are expecting from Disney or from us?
OK, once again, it was NOT at 100% capacity. What the "treated like garbage, shamed and humiliated" was the fact that I was lied to by the hostess, and then when I raised the situation to the night manager, I was made to feel like garbage by the night manager for raising the complaint and being told that my feelings and opinion didn't matter. As I said before, I have worked in retail and customer service for a LONG time. If I had treated a customer like this, you can guarantee, I would be let go.

OK, once again, it was NOT at 100% capacity. What the "treated like garbage, shamed and humiliated" was the fact that I was lied to by the hostess, and then when I raised the situation to the night manager, I was made to feel like garbage by the night manager for raising the complaint and being told that my feelings and opinion didn't matter.
Space 200 is always completely booked, and there is a line of people out the door for the bar seats, which am I sure you saw as you came in.

It would probably more helpful to everyone if you could explain what you think "the situation" is. To me, it sounds like you wanted to pick your table, which is not a reasonable expectation at any sit-down WDW restaurant. Obviously, you have a lot of "feelings and opinions" about this table, so maybe you should stay places you can pick your table?

Hi all. Let me start off with saying I am not against eating at a lounge/bar. My last night at Disney I had a reservation at space 220. Due to the theming of the restaurant I wanted to sit in in the restaurant. When I arrived, the hostess asked if I would be ok sitting at the bar. I politely declined and asked to sit in the restaurant. 20 minutes later she motioned for me to come. I asked her if my table was in the restaurant, and not in the lounge, to which she said yes. When I was shown my table it was as close to the bar as you could get. I tried to temper my mood. My server was good and so was the food. However, it gnawed at me and I asked to speak to the night manager who was more offended at me for daring to speak out. He was incredulous and tried telling me that his friends ate at the lounge a couple days ago at the bar with no complaints and that I shouldn’t complain. I’m sorry, but if I made a reservation at a particular restaurant and wanted an experience, I shouldn’t be guilt tripped to being shunned. I did get a discount but it was begrudgingly. I almost walked out but then I’d lose my deposit for the reservation.
No atmosphere? Just what you’d expect at a place like that 😬😂

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, unfortunately it happens, even at the happiest place on earth. However, I'm a little confused as to how the hostess lied to you. She asked if you wanted to sit at the bar, which they often do at all WDW restaurants that have a bar if a table for your size party is not ready right away. You politely told her no and were seated later. You asked if it was in the restaurant and she said yes. You said it was close to the bar but the fact is, that restaurant has tables for the restaurant that are close to the bar. I'm not seeing how she lied to you and how this ruined your night so much you needed to speak to the manager. You said you had good service and the food was good. Now, the manager, he certainly should not have said what he did. I'm not sure how that leads to being shunned. I've eaten solo at a number of restaurants on property and am often asked if I'd like to sit at the bar. I always say no because I just don't like sitting at the bar. I have been sat near the bar if there is a bar, but two top tables aren't really all that plentiful. I've not always been sat at the best table in the restaurant but that also happens when I'm with my son or with my son and DIL, not everyone can get the best or even a good table.

I have received a preliminary response from guest services and unfortunately, they have decided that the blame goes to the hostess and not the night manager. I have reached out to hopefully address this by focusing on the night manager but unfortunately they focus on responding by email only
The reason you talked to the night manager is because how you felt you were treated by the hostess, so their initial read of the problem is to treat it at the source. In any case they’ll probably talk to the manager as well.

I looked at some pictures, and the lounge appears to be in a seperate area, with one window, overlooking the main restaurant with the big space windows. That would indeed be pretty disappointing, especially when you requested specifically to not be there.
There is no window overlooking the restaurant. It is completely open space where you have a view of all the same windows as the space designated as the restaurant. There are literally tables next to each other where one is considered the restaurant and the other the lounge.

Space 200 is always completely booked, and there is a line of people out the door for the bar seats, which am I sure you saw as you came in.

It would probably more helpful to everyone if you could explain what you think "the situation" is. To me, it sounds like you wanted to pick your table, which is not a reasonable expectation at any sit-down WDW restaurant. Obviously, you have a lot of "feelings and opinions" about this table, so maybe you should stay places you can pick your table?
I will finish my take with this:

It may be always completely booked when you went but it was not for when I went. It was around 440 pm. It was 85 % capacity. There was NOT a line out the door for bar seats

I did not want to “pick my table” but when you make a reservation, which I did, you make it clear to the reservation agent ( I did NOT book the reservation online or on my phone. I dealt with a human being. I did not do a walk up which would have been a different story. I made it perfectly clear that I wanted to sit in the restaurant, not the lounge when I made the reservation.

My trip was a special occasion. So, ya, I am going to be upset when things don't go great. I know there are complications but the manger made me embarrassed for raising the complaint. If you go on a dinner with your partner and order a glass of wine, do you not say something when they bring you a beer instead. Like I said, for the night manager and his attitude and his making me feel like i was in the wrong saying, well, they are both alcohol. but you wanted something else or would you just say nothing and drink that instead. Like I said, I am sure most people would point that out

I don't understand this complaint. You got the food and the table you wanted in a restaurant that is going to be 100% full all of the time. Someone is going to be at that table, which you think is "shaming" you?

I think it was nice to give you the option of the bar. You declined, what's the problem?
If I wanted the restaurant I would have booked an ADR for that, if I wanted the lounge I would booked that. I think the OP is reacting because they were sat in the lounge but wanted the restaurant which they booked for. They do act like two different experiences contained within the same space. The seating is also different (especially the booths).

In terms of shaming part I think it was more that they were given an open table in the lounge while preserving space in the restaurant area even though they booked the restaurant reservation. I think this could have happened to even a party of 2 because of how the tables are set up in the lounge area. It does sound like from the OP's description they were sat at the lounge. You would have expected a hostess to know when a guest asks if they were being sat in the restaurant what they would mean since Disney specifically uses Lounge to designate the seating area the OP was actually sat in so assuming the hostess does know this difference they were just placating the guest by not seating them in the bar area liked they asked but not being honest about the location.

Regardless of all of that why would any staff member think it's appropriate to tell a guest that their friends dined there last night and didn't complain? As if that's even pertinent to the guest or changes anything. For that alone I get where the OP is coming from. I guess anyone can disagree with the terminology the OP used but I'm not sure anyone could defend an employee (especially a manager) for responding to a guest like that.

There is no window overlooking the restaurant. It is completely open space where you have a view of all the same windows as the space designated as the restaurant. There are literally tables next to each other where one is considered the restaurant and the other the lounge.

This is the picture I was looking at, but upon closer examination, that may be a mirror?

space-220-42-800x533.jpg

This is the picture I was looking at, but upon closer examination, that may be a mirror?

space-220-42-800x533.jpg
It's a mirror, not too too bad of one but yeah just reflects the windows opposite of it. You have to physically turn yourself from the actual bar seating to see the whole restaurant otherwise your back is to it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter