Skipper Canteen ADR Watch

So I guess I gotta ask. has anyone walked up with a BIG group? We'll be 14 people that day. I can only imagine a cast member stifling laughing at me when I WALK UP and ask for a table for 14....

Recent reports have stated that Skipper's Canteen is now accepting TiW.

SO they accepted it for awhile (I used it), then they stopped taking it, and now they are taking it again ...... guess they need us :rolleyes: or it's just a discount of the day situation.

Didn't they stop taking the DDP as well?

I thought on the website a while back it's said DDP not accepted, now says DDP accepted..

Keeping fingers crossed it's not a fluke
I know the reason they stopped taken it was because TIW program hadn't appoved it..
Maybe they approved it for 2016.

Looks to me like they're currently only accepting reservations in January. Later dates show nothing available (at least all the random dates I checked), though that will probably change.
t

Wait! What! When did that happen!!??!!??
I can't pull anything up to make a ADR on the website..

Last edited:
Oops, never mind, I can't either. Not sure if I misinterpreted this earlier, or if the ability appeared only for a brief period of time but is now gone. Right now I see a widget that shows restaurant times in January (but not later), but no way to add an ADR. Sorry for any false alarms!

it's even showing on the app has a ADR resturants.
Won't let me make a ADR yet..Hope this means we will have news soon

Oops, never mind, I can't either. Not sure if I misinterpreted this earlier, or if the ability appeared only for a brief period of time but is now gone. Right now I see a widget that shows restaurant times in January (but not later), but no way to add an ADR. Sorry for any false alarms!

Still, this means that they're putting it into the ADR system, so there is hope!

Recent reports have stated that Skipper's Canteen is now accepting TiW.

We were just there this past Tuesday night and they did NOT take the TIW. They WERE taking the Dining Plan tho.

I kept our Plaza res for Sunday night and canceled an O'hana res to try this place out (rescheduled O'hana for our June trip when we are staying at the Poly DVC so it will be more convenient). ANYWAY, we first went by around 5:15 to scope it out - there was NO wait at that time. We are not early eaters and didn't want to eat that early but we DID want to eat in the 6:30-7:00ish range due to FP's. They suggested we come back in an hour and said it would likely be about a 30 min. wait. So we went over to the JC which was about a 50-60 min. wait then returned. When we came back they told us 30 minutes but it was really only about 20 minutes until we were seated.

FWIW I was a little disappointed. It was GOOD but not GREAT. And I don't think our "skipper" has ever even ridden the Jungle Cruise 'cuz she wouldn't have known a campy joke if it bit her on her hand. My DH had the Heads On Shrimp and my DS and I both had the Mac & Cheese and we shared the dumplings as an appetizer. I actually thought the dumplings were probably the best thing we had. They were quite tasty. The Mac & Cheese wasn't nearly as spicy as I had expected. It was flavorful but just not as "exotic" as I was hoping for. It was kinda like a cheesy goulash. We had dinner the following evening at the Turf Club at SSR and it was 100% better (we all had the shrimp pasta dish there). So while we liked it, it was only just OK for us and we would go back but ONLY IF they added it to the TIW card. I think it was our most expensive meal all week (even tho there was no alcohol - but because there was no discount). The value at full price just wasn't there for us. But I really wanted to give it a try. Your dining experience will vary greatly with your "skipper" just like it does on the JC ride.

Funny. I have Plaza reservations too, and have been waiting to see if I should jettison them for Skipper Canteen. I agree with everyone who is unhappy about the no ADRs and have come to the same conclusion about keeping my ADR. I have never eaten at the plaza though. It's good?

We almost always eat at least once per trip at the Plaza. It is reasonably priced (especially with the TIW card) and a step above CS. Prices range mostly in the mid-teens. Compared to some of the CS places it's a real deal. I think the most expensive thing is the meatloaf dinner which is like $18 or $19. We always enjoy our meals there.

We were just there this past Tuesday night and they did NOT take the TIW. They WERE taking the Dining Plan tho.

I kept our Plaza res for Sunday night and canceled an O'hana res to try this place out (rescheduled O'hana for our June trip when we are staying at the Poly DVC so it will be more convenient). ANYWAY, we first went by around 5:15 to scope it out - there was NO wait at that time. We are not early eaters and didn't want to eat that early but we DID want to eat in the 6:30-7:00ish range due to FP's. They suggested we come back in an hour and said it would likely be about a 30 min. wait. So we went over to the JC which was about a 50-60 min. wait then returned. When we came back they told us 30 minutes but it was really only about 20 minutes until we were seated.

FWIW I was a little disappointed. It was GOOD but not GREAT. And I don't think our "skipper" has ever even ridden the Jungle Cruise 'cuz she wouldn't have known a campy joke if it bit her on her hand. My DH had the Heads On Shrimp and my DS and I both had the Mac & Cheese and we shared the dumplings as an appetizer. I actually thought the dumplings were probably the best thing we had. They were quite tasty. The Mac & Cheese wasn't nearly as spicy as I had expected. It was flavorful but just not as "exotic" as I was hoping for. It was kinda like a cheesy goulash. We had dinner the following evening at the Turf Club at SSR and it was 100% better (we all had the shrimp pasta dish there). So while we liked it, it was only just OK for us and we would go back but ONLY IF they added it to the TIW card. I think it was our most expensive meal all week (even tho there was no alcohol - but because there was no discount). The value at full price just wasn't there for us. But I really wanted to give it a try. Your dining experience will vary greatly with your "skipper" just like it does on the JC ride.
We want twice over the holidays. Our first visit was wonderful because we had a great skipper. Our second visit was pretty boring because our skipper just wasn't into his role. I do like the menu though...that's just personal preference, I guess.
This place is very much like 50's Prime Time or Whispering Canyon, your server will determine the level of enjoyment of the meal. These themed joke/pun restaurants really need to focus on hiring staff that want to interact with the guests. It makes or breaks the whole experience.

We want twice over the holidays. Our first visit was wonderful because we had a great skipper. Our second visit was pretty boring because our skipper just wasn't into his role. I do like the menu though...that's just personal preference, I guess.
This place is very much like 50's Prime Time or Whispering Canyon, your server will determine the level of enjoyment of the meal. These themed joke/pun restaurants really need to focus on hiring staff that want to interact with the guests. It makes or breaks the whole experience.

Yes, the idea is to capture that same interaction between the server and the guests. We have only gone to Whispering Canyon once and 50's probably 3 times. Two of the 3 times at 50's we had great servers who played their roles to the max.

We liked the menu at Skippers just fine - but I was expecting MORE flavor somehow... I didn't think the entrees were overly spicy or heavily seasoned at all. Guess that is done on purpose for all the folks out there who are afraid of trying something different. I like tasty and different. It was GOOD but it wasn't GREAT. My feelings on the experience was that it is overpriced for what we got and we probably won't go back unless they add it to the TIW card. When we can get out of the Turf Club or Ragland Road or Mama Melrose for less money (and have drinks) that means it's a little pricey.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter