• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s THURSDAY 12/7 poll - Weather Station (for the home)

Weather Station (at home) - Do you have one & are you interested in weather?

• I love knowing about the current weather

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I like knowing about the current weather

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • I’m somewhat interested about the current weather

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • It doesn’t matter to me about the current weather - it is what it is

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I have a weather station

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I do not have a weather station

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • I want a weather station

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I do not want a weather station

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • I never knew you could buy a weather station for the home

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
So my DH is fascinated by the weather. HE has the weather station at the house. I only use it to see how damn cold our bedroom is when I go up there in the winter (no heat -- we use woodburning stove and/or portable heater. In Chicagoland).

Frankly, I don't care -- it really is what it is.

My dad has dual degrees in engineering and meteorology at the BS and MS levels. He dabbled in being a meteorologist and picked up some weatherman gigs early on before finding better work in engineering. He has a weather station...as well as a nice collection of weather gadgets. The prettiest are the Galileo thermometers, but the barometer collection was always "fun" when a storm was approaching. While we all follow Mike's Weather Page/Spaghetti Models, my dad also has some of his own subscriptions to his favorite weather sources so we can get regular updates on the GFS vs. European models. The Weather Channel is ALWAYS on in their home. He was very excited to learn that our streaming service picked it up so he can watch at our house. Just like he was all excited when some TWC people moved over to a Miami station for weather. Growing up, before cable, I remember he had a Radio Shack weather cube that was constantly on. Did anyone else have one? (Pic Below)

When it comes to weather apps, my dad clued me in to Weather Underground. They use the National Weather Service data as well as over two hundred thousand personal weather stations for their data. So, if I want weather down the block, I can see my neighbor's station data. So, I don't have a weather station, but I can rely on others!

Speaking of current weather, people will often ask me "what does dad think?" when we've got a major weather system approaching our area. I follow along, but they want his opinion...not mine! 🤣 My dad also likes "experiencing" the weather, but not quite at the storm chaser level. We all knew to try and SAFELY grab some hail samples if severe weather was going over our home. My mom still has a dented up pot from the massive hail that fell around our home in the 1974 Super Outbreak of tornadoes (lived in OH at the time). Before he sold his boat, I used to get a pretty steady diet of waterspout pics from what they spotted off the FL coast while heading in to avoid storms.

OK...probably more weather background than you needed!

View attachment 816109

Wow, a BS and MS in both engineering and meteorology! That's impressive. I have a BS in meteorology, and that was enough for me, lol!

I really like the Galileo thermometers. They are really pretty! And pretty accurate from what I can see.

Wow, a BS and MS in both engineering and meteorology! That's impressive. I have a BS in meteorology, and that was enough for me, lol!

I really like the Galileo thermometers. They are really pretty! And pretty accurate from what I can see.

Thanks! While he genuinely loves meteorology, I suspect it blended well with his engineering focus. Before retiring, his area was environmental engineering and air waste management. I can only assume that some of the meteorological knowledge factored into his expertise with air waste evaluations. concerns and solutions.

They were pretty pricey when he got his first one, but they're so pretty that they have found decorative spots in the main living areas of their home. I would also agree with their accuracy.

I enjoy following the weather, but now mainly do so online. Currently the only equipment I employ is a rain gauge. I need to know for garden watering purposes. I find the online amounts are not accurate. Amounts can vary greatly if recorded at sites just a few miles apart. The online reading uses a location around 8 miles away.

I've never even heard of a weather station, but it looks cool. I just watch the local news for the weather report.

I don't have a weather station. I do have an outdoor and an indoor thermometer.
Throughout my 42 year career there were times I had to write the weather segment for the anchors to read when the weather person was off. We used to get NOAA data via teletype. Now we just go to the NOAA website from home. All the official reporting weather stations are there.

I love knowing about the weather. And do have a weather station on the back stairs. I check my phone, connected to the station, several times a day. And will miss Skilling when he retires next year.

Not trying to be a wise guy but doesn't a open window do the trick?

I only look things up if I am planning a drive to pick the day and even then they can't seem to get it right so it is only the slightest bit valuable. They actually got my entire trip to wdw wrong, it rained the entire time, I packed ponchos because of experience not warnings. Can't see paying for a thing that is mostly wrong.

Maybe if I lived near tornados, but then again I'd probably be more inclined pay for a super loud siren that picked up on warnings before I'd trust myself to read a contraption like in the movie Twister.

I check if we have a flight or if I need to know to take a coat. But pretty much I can tell when I open the door.

Don’t think I need a personal weather station since there is an app on my phone.

I love knowing what the weather is, but don't have a weather station. I just use the Amazon Echo screen and phone to keep up.
You know I never even thought of using that for weather! We use it for all of the lights, fans etc, as a timer, an alarm clock and hubby is always finding some weird new “skill” it has. Like Open a Box of Cats. Why though? It’s cats meowing. 🤷🏻‍♀️🐈🐈‍⬛

I'm definitely into weather—always curious about what's happening outside. We've had a weather station at home for years. It's become a bit of a ritual to check it first thing in the morning, especially in the winter here in northern Indiana.

I use Fox 35 Orlando's weather app. It's easy to use and usually spot on (well as spot on as weather can be).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter