Smartphone Gimbal on a ride

Santtu1982

Earning My Ears
Hey!

I have an Osmo mobile 2 which I’m planning on taking with us for our next trip. It seems like taking one in to the parks should be ok, but can I use it to shoot video while on the rides as well? I’m thinking that a nice stabilized video from the roller coaster rides for example would look pretty amazing :)

Does it attach to your wrist or is it held like a selfie stick? Selfie sticks are not allowed into the parks, so anything similar probably will not be allowed through bag check. The Go Pros that attach to your wrist (bracelet) or to your hat (helmet) are allowed because they are considered "clothing," not selfie sticks. Also, please don't film inside any dark rides -- that can be very distracting to your fellow guests either inside your boat or in the vehicles around yours.
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...eras-allowed-rides-restrictions-rides-385310/

Last edited:
What Rabbit says. Although the primary purpose of an Osmo is not to extend the camera per se, but by its nature it does.

If they do permit it in, as to whether or not they'd let you use it on a ride, I think that would be up to the loading CMs. PP or IASW, sure. But on a fast moving or bumpy ride? I'd hate to get hit by that thing if it got loose!! Maybe if you can rig up some type of 'leash' that will tether it to your wrist?

The main thing to remember is that if you are told at bag check that it's not allowed, you'll be turned back to put it in your car or hotel room. If you get it through security, but are stopped at the main gate or even later in the park, the same thing applies. It's up to you if you want to take the chance on wasting valuable park time.

Thank you both!

I was mainly planning on shooting video while roaming around the parks and maybe something on a fast moving roller coaster or something. The dark rides (like the name implies) are so dimly lit that the footage from a mobile phone wouldn’t look good anyways. There is a wrist strap available so that wouldn’t be a problem.

I might have to reconsider this and decide wether I’m willing to take the risk of not being allowed in with it or not.

Are there people with experiences on trying to get a smartphone gimbal in the parks?

Last edited:

Thank you both!

I was mainly planning on shooting video while roaming around the parks and maybe something on a fast moving roller coaster or something. The dark rides (like the name implies) are so dimly lit that the footage from a mobile phone wouldn’t look good anyways. There is a wrist strap available so that wouldn’t be a problem.

I might have to reconsider this and decide wether I’m willing to take the risk of not being allowed in with it or not.

Are there people with experiences on trying to get a smartphone gimbal in the parks?
I looked up a photo. I would absolutely leave this item at home. “hand-held extension poles for cameras & mobile devices” are on the prohibited items list https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/

I took my Osmo for my iPhone with me last year and had no problems with security. The 2 times I took it to the parks the security guys seemed to know what it was for. As far as the rides, I only used it on the train with no problems and I have seen vloggers use them in the parks as well.

My understanding as far as what's permitted in the park is that the main factor is whether it extends. If the camera/phone attaches to it and that's it, it should be allowed in. But if it is collapsed down and can be further extended, it might be considered a selfie stick and not allowed. I was questioned at bag check about a tabletop tripod once and when I said the words "it doesn't extend" the security guy let it through.

As for using it on rides, I'm pretty sure they don't want anything loose that you might drop on fast rides like Incredicoaster. Whether or not they actually make you put it away probably depends on the CM, but if I were you I wouldn't have it out unless it firmly attaches to you. I've heard of people being injured by simple baseball hats on coasters, so a hard piece of plastic could definitely do some damage if you drop it and it hits the person behind you. The slower coasters like Big Thunder and Matterhorn would probably be fine - I've definitely seen people filming with their phones on those rides.

My understanding as far as what's permitted in the park is that the main factor is whether it extends. If the camera/phone attaches to it and that's it, it should be allowed in. But if it is collapsed down and can be further extended, it might be considered a selfie stick and not allowed. I was questioned at bag check about a tabletop tripod once and when I said the words "it doesn't extend" the security guy let it through.

As for using it on rides, I'm pretty sure they don't want anything loose that you might drop on fast rides like Incredicoaster. Whether or not they actually make you put it away probably depends on the CM, but if I were you I wouldn't have it out unless it firmly attaches to you. I've heard of people being injured by simple baseball hats on coasters, so a hard piece of plastic could definitely do some damage if you drop it and it hits the person behind you. The slower coasters like Big Thunder and Matterhorn would probably be fine - I've definitely seen people filming with their phones on those rides.

Good to know!

Big thunder mountain, Matterhorn and Radiator Springs Racers are what I mostly had in mind. I agree that the Incredicoaster would be a risky place to take the the device and I have no desire to put any innocent co-riders at risk of getting injured by a flying gimbal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter