Sneakers?

LeeAnn

DIS Veteran
Not sure where to post this. It's not actually Disney related but who else know about walking and walking all day.

My elderly is looking to go to Europe. She has longed to to go. However, is concerned of all the walking. As am I. Especially cobble stone roads of Europe. Up and down hills.

This is why I am posting...
What type of sneakers will be good for an elderly women who has corns? Need extra wide.
Also, going in August. Can't be heavy or hot of a sneakers.
Want to find 2 pairs and start breaking them in.

It would be hard to order to try. We would probably go thru many. What stores can I take her to try on good sneakers?
Which types of sneakers?
Brands?

Any other suggestions about traveling to Europe in August?

Thank you. I would really like for her dream to come true. Hoping it's not too late. Any input greatly appreciated.

I had a foot crush injury in December and my friends/colleagues with foot and ankle injuries recommended Hokas. I have wide feet plus swelling from the injury and these shoes have been amazing! I didn't feel any discomfort when I transitioned to these shoes out of my boot and I am usually standing/walking most of the day at work. They come in wide sizes. I got the Clifton 8 style, but they have many styles to help support different needs. I ordered mine online and they are available to try on at Dick's Sporting Goods.

My kids had used theses for Track and Cross Country. They do like them.

They are very colorful. I don't know if my mom would get bright colors. Is it good for walking all day?
I'm not a runner or walker. I thought each required a different shoe

My kids had used theses for Track and Cross Country. They do like them.

They are very colorful. I don't know if my mom would get bright colors. Is it good for walking all day?
I'm not a runner or walker. I thought each required a different shoe
If you look on the website, they've got a variety of styles - some specifically for walking, some orthopedic, some best for comfort. Mine are just plain black and white, so they do have options for neutrals.

Any other sneakers?

I know the value of Hoka but I don't think my mom would get sneakers with that price, even if I pay for it.
Won't be able to hide the price. We would need to go to the store to try on the various styles. She will see the price and not try it on. Looking to for less expensive pair of sneakers. Even that would need convincing but I need to get her a good pair sneakers (or two) for her trip.

I like Asics and New Balance, both have a variety of styles at multiple price points. New Balance offers some very lightweight yet comfortable options. While they are not sneakers I love Hey Dudes! I just returned from a trip to FL and on day 1 did a lot of walking in the heat without socks on and my feet were very angry with me for doing so, I picked up a pair of Hey Dudes that are super cute and walked all over in them without issue. (I covered roughly 6 miles a day on foot) They were fabulous in the airport - easy off and on, and since they are so lightweight would not take up much space at all in your luggage if you were to bring them as backup shoes.

I understand the price point issue. A lot of my family members love On’s but I just can’t bring myself to pay that much. ASICS are great! That is what I wear in the parks. Also I think new balance are a wider shoe in general. I think adidas are a sleeper hit for comfortable shoes if you look at their higher end running shoes. We have an adidas outlet near us and regularly get $100-$130 shoes for $50 and they are very comfortable.

As far as places to go… DSW will carry quite a few different types. Also you can go to a store that caters to runners. They will measure and help her find the right type of shoe. We have done this before and just ordered what we liked in store online depending on the pricing.

I understand the price point issue. A lot of my family members love On’s but I just can’t bring myself to pay that much. ASICS are great! That is what I wear in the parks. Also I think new balance are a wider shoe in general. I think adidas are a sleeper hit for comfortable shoes if you look at their higher end running shoes. We have an adidas outlet near us and regularly get $100-$130 shoes for $50 and they are very comfortable.

As far as places to go… DSW will carry quite a few different types. Also you can go to a store that caters to runners. They will measure and help her find the right type of shoe. We have done this before and just ordered what we liked in store online depending on the pricing.
In October 2015 I went on a trip to Europe. I was 69 at the time. We walked a lot. We took metro's in places like Paris and Rome and the rest of the time was foot power. Even getting to the Metro was a pretty good distance sometimes. Anyway, I just wore my regular New Balance "sneakers". The same one's I used at home. They were comfortable and I never paid more than $70.00 for a pair of NB's. I actually still have that pair and use them when I play golf. My feet never really were a problem the entire trip. The rest of my body acted like I had been on a death march, but my feet were fine.

Disclaimer: I do not work for New Balance and I do not know anyone that does. They are not paying me to say this (although) if I found a six digit check in the mail, I wouldn't complain. :) As a side note, every pediatrist I have ever seen always were happy to see that I was wearing NB's. Please though, from legit shoe stores, stay clear of Amazon. Rumor is that they seem to have a problem with copycat shoes.

Thank you. Helpful. My mom will turn 80 on the trip so I have concerns. Want to prepare her. Good sneakers. From your experience, what can I do to prepare my mom? What does she need?

Thank you so much for the info.

Not sure where to post this. It's not actually Disney related but who else know about walking and walking all day.

My elderly is looking to go to Europe. She has longed to to go. However, is concerned of all the walking. As am I. Especially cobble stone roads of Europe. Up and down hills.

What type of sneakers will be good for an elderly women who has corns? Need extra wide.

It would be hard to order to try. We would probably go thru many. What stores can I take her to try on good sneakers?
Which types of sneakers?
Brands?

Thank you. I would really like for her dream to come true. Hoping it's not too late. Any input greatly appreciated.
It doesn't have to be sneakers. I wouldn't be caught dead in Crocs, but I know people who absolutely swear by them, so more power to 'em. But, if she decides to go the sneakers route, I recommend getting cross trainers so they are built for walking, climbing, stairs, etc. Break them in and see her podiatrist about how to protect those corns.

I would advise that wearing sneakers in Europe screams "American!" so she should be careful to choose a style that doesn't look typically American. As sad as this is, it will protect her in a number of ways to not scream it out.

In October 2015 I went on a trip to Europe. I was 69 at the time. We walked a lot. We took metro's in places like Paris and Rome and the rest of the time was foot power. Even getting to the Metro was a pretty good distance sometimes. Anyway, I just wore my regular New Balance "sneakers". The same one's I used at home. They were comfortable and I never paid more than $70.00 for a pair of NB's. I actually still have that pair and use them when I play golf. My feet never really were a problem the entire trip. The rest of my body acted like I had been on a death march, but my feet were fine.

Disclaimer: I do not work for New Balance and I do not know anyone that does. They are not paying me to say this (although) if I found a six digit check in the mail, I wouldn't complain. :) As a side note, every pediatrist I have ever seen always were happy to see that I was wearing NB's. Please though, from legit shoe stores, stay clear of Amazon. Rumor is that they seem to have a problem with copycat shoes.
I feel the same way. Because the company irritates me, I have tried other brands for the past several years w/o too much luck. (3 pairs of Skechers have been a special disaster.) I have either gone the super-cheapo off-brand route with success or NB. I go to the factory outlets -- got 2 pairs this past weekend for $40 each after taxes, so that was acceptable to my budget. still looking for that check, though! ;-)

Try a variety of shoes. I know many people like Hokas, but I hated them. They were so cushiony, that my knees hurt. I didn't even bring my sneakers and I practically live in my Asics here. They do come in wide widths. Visited London last May. I went with a pair of Eccos and my daughter wore her Sketchers.

As far as trying on a bunch of sneakers, try your local, reputable running store. Your mom may balk at the price, but she will be thankful when she is trying to navigate the cobblestones. Let them know your budget so they can make recommendations. If it is her dream trip (like it was mine), she won't want to be hampered by foot pain. Good luck!

I feel the same way. Because the company irritates me, I have tried other brands for the past several years w/o too much luck. (3 pairs of Skechers have been a special disaster.) I have either gone the super-cheapo off-brand route with success or NB. I go to the factory outlets -- got 2 pairs this past weekend for $40 each after taxes, so that was acceptable to my budget. still looking for that check, though! ;-)
In 2016 I fell while walking 4 times. All four times I was wearing Skechers. They were designed to be slip resistant and by god they were. The problem with that is that as we age we tend to not lift our feet as high as we did when young. The result of that, with the slip resistance, is that if your foot slides close to the surface and hits it your foot will just stop moving forward throwing off your balance and doing a face plant in places that should never have been a problem.

Don't get me wrong, they are great for wet surfaces but on dry land, not so much. When I fell the first two times I was walking in the mall, the next time was in the queue at Soarin' in Disney World and a couple days later in Universal just walking on dry pavement. I finally put it all together and stopped wearing them and have not fallen or even come close since then.

Not to change the subject, but I too have face planted with my sketchers (73 years of age) but they are the softest shoes I have found. Dog gone toes catch if I'm in a rush, and done I will go.

Have you considered AllBirds? I bought some for my Aug 2019 trip to Orlando, as I wanted shoes that would not be too warm in the hot weather, but would also dry quickly after a quick rain storm. I have the Tree Runners model. They are ridiculously comfortable, without looking too much like running shoes. Downside is that you would not be able to try them on in a store, as they have very few physical stores. But they offer free returns, so ordering several to try on shouldn't be an issue. Their website does list where they have stores and you might be able to find one in your area. allbirds dot com

Not to change the subject, but I too have face planted with my sketchers (73 years of age) but they are the softest shoes I have found. Dog gone toes catch if I'm in a rush, and done I will go.
So glad to have my theory confirmed or at least experienced by someone else. I don't want to bad mouth Sketchers because I know they are a good shoe and I don't want to imply that they aren't, but the no slip soles have a flaw if you are not walking on slipper surfaces. I was lucky and didn't get hurt with anyone except the last one at universal and that was a skinned palm of my hand. The only thing that was a problem was that at my age if I see a doctor the first question they ask is "have you fallen recently"? I don't lie well so I just say yes with a caveat. I tell them that I know why that happened but since my name isn't proceeded by DR. they get all up in a panic and the next thing you know I am spending way to much of my time conversing with neurological people..

I have been wearing New Balance shoes since 2009, they are the best. Tried on Sketchers as they have vegan shoes, but they are not sturdy enough for me ( I have to wear insoles).

Which types of sneakers?
Brands?

HOKA is amazing

Adding my two cents to the discussion, make sure you bring two good pair of walking shoes/sneakers, it saved me a couple of weeks back at WDW.

I wore the same Hokas this trip that I wore last December and that gave me no issues. Within 2 days I developed blisters, and switched over to a pair of Nikes that I also have and that were also well broken in, and the blisters stopped forming.

Not sure why they were fine last trip, but not this one, pretty much everything else was the same, same type of socks, same temps, and same amount of walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter