• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Snow Queen

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
Animated Movies has just announced that Glen Keane, the legendary Disney animator known for his work on Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Tarzan, and Aladdin-to name a few, signed to join the CG team of Disney's new project The Snow Queen. Though Glen is best known for his traditionally animated work, he has been working on a half CG, half 2D character since April 1999: villain cyborg Long John Silver from Treasure Planet. He admitted in the summer of 2000 that this last movie presented an exciting challenge for him as an animator -which might explain his new 3D deal with Disney.

In Snow Queen, based on a version of Hans Christian Anderson's classic tale, Disney returns to their successful fairy tale roots, a formula which had served them well in the past. Many fans and critics alike feel that straying from this familiar format is what signaled the downturn of feature animation beginning with Pocahontas. Needless to say Disney has high hopes for this film. Below is a brief description of the film by Animated Movies:

"A sorcerer casts an evil spell onto a huge mirror. Then one day, some of the magician's useless trolls fool around with the mirror and end up breaking it into thousands of pieces. The pieces of the broken mirror end up being as small as snow crystals and blend in with the snow on the ground.

Nearby, two children (named Kay and Gerda ) who are friends, are playing in the snow. Whilst they play, Kay gets one of the mirror splints in his eye and his heart turns cold as a result(sounds like B&B doesn't it?). The snow Queen arrives in her sleigh and picks him up and takes him to her far away castle.

Gerda decides to find the Snow Queen's Castle to rescue him. A long and difficult journey beings, in which she stops many times along the way and at times even forgets her mission. But every time she forgets or almost gives up she sees a rose and it's thorns, which reminds her of a song she and Kay used to sing, which help her get back on her journey.

Along the way she meets an old gardener, a young prince and his princess sister, a couple of crows, a group of gypsies, an old clairvoyant lady, and a friendly reindeer who helps her to the castle.

As Gerda reaches the castle, we see that the journey has taken so long that Gerda has become a young woman. Finally, Gerda finds Kay and doesn't recognize him since it has been so long, The Snow Queen, who has turned Kay into a servant for her, doesn't want to give him up. Eventually, as Gerda sings their song about the rose, Kay starts to cry and cries out the mirror splint. The romance starts to bloom..."

Adding further proof of the developement of this film, voice actor Corey Burton (Hook in Return to NeverLand) announced in February 2002 that he had "begun working on 'scratch' tracks for Disney's Snow Queen (set for completion in about 4 to 5 years).

I always knew that lurking around this room while the rest of you weren't looking my way, would eventually pay off!

The Snow Queen??!!!! How totally cool!! My absolute favorite fairy tale. You just totally brightened up my day and restored my faith in Disney movie choices!

Disney did shut down its CGI area (The Secret Lab). Then ‘Shrek’ and ‘Johnny Neutron’ made a ton of money and Eisner was asked all those questions about the faltering deal with Pixar.

According to rumors, most of ‘Snow Queen’ is somewhat of a snow job to get Pixar to re-up with The Mouse. It’s also an answer the company can give to Wall Street about the future of its animation division, a place where Disney’s top animators can find work, and a way to be seen as a “player” in CG genre.

Whether Eisner will approve the $100+ million for the movie is unknown right now. A movie like this can linger for years in development hell.

Another point to consider is that this story line is almost exactly Anderson's, and Disney is incapable of putting out a movie that they haven't changed the story line on....

Sarangle

I don't think incapable is the right word...

Let's call it a creative choice that has frequently served them well.

AV- I knew it wouldn't take you long to rain on the Snow Queen parade;)

It seems pretty clear that Disney knows it cannot just give up on CGI. Geez, one bomb and they quit? (Though I think Dinosaur did pretty well overseas.)

If Pixar did take their business elsewhere, Disney would be forced to get back into CGI, so maybe Snow Queen is a contingency plan? (Maybe its a legitimate film in the pipeline, but that's no fun to discuss!)

Y'all just had to rain on my parade, didn't you? Going back to the naive optimists pixie dust board , where I belong.;)

How "closed" really is the Secret Lab? I noticed in the end credits to "Return to Neverland" that the Secret Lab was mentioned. Did it close after work on "RTN" or is a very threadbare staff still working there doing small jobs for various Disney projects?

Jim Hill has a feature story about Snow Queen over at DCA Central. Here's the link:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter