so did disney shoot itself in the foot?

Whether they'll still have their reputation is another matter ... That's something that takes years to build and moments to demolish
And the nostalgia crowd is GenX and older who grew up with Mickey, and our kids. But even my kids -except for my oldest who did 2 x DCP -just don't have the nostalgia pull. We are the ones now pulling back, not going as often or at all. Highly doubt my kids will take their kids as often as we took them. Disney is currently still cashing on their nostalgia reputation - but eventually it will run out with the way the blatant $ grab is going as the new generations won't want to spend their discretionary $$ on something like Disney.

And the nostalgia crowd is GenX and older who grew up with Mickey, and our kids. But even my kids -except for my oldest who did 2 x DCP -just don't have the nostalgia pull. We are the ones now pulling back, not going as often or at all. Highly doubt my kids will take their kids as often as we took them. Disney is currently still cashing on their nostalgia reputation - but eventually it will run out with the way the blatant $ grab is going as the new generations won't want to spend their discretionary $$ on something like Disney.
I agree with what you are saying. We grew up with disney, and my kids grew up with disney and with star wars! We took the kids to disney up til age 11, then they wanted only Universal. Now that they have kids, the nostalgia is definitely Not there. They don't have a pull to go back and therefore, their kids don't either. They really want to go back to Universal though.
So you are right. The nostalgia factor is getting less and less, and things will change with the newer generations, IMO.

as i've posted many times this year, we were hoping for a 21 day ticket, the ticket we'd bought for several years prior to the pandemic.

But this year, disney didn't sell them so we had to settle for the 14 day ticket.

But we still were going to Orlando for 27 days (followed by a 4 day Disney Wish cruise).

So if we were there for 27 days, but only had a 14 day ticket, what did we do?

we did various things, including a 2 night 4 day visit to universal.

And what happened? We loved it so much, we're planning on spending an entire week at universal on our next visit to orlando.

Yes, even my universal hating daughter, who had for years refused to go back and try it again fell in love with it and is the biggest campaigner for the minimum one full week visit to universal next time.

Had disney let us have the 21 day ticket, we would never have tried universal.

perhaps disney made a bit of a booboo? And probably not just with us.
They'd rather have 2 families staying 2 weeks each than 1 family staying 4 weeks. Even better would be 4 families staying 1 week each.

They'd rather have 2 families staying 2 weeks each than 1 family staying 4 weeks. Even better would be 4 families staying 1 week each.

yes, but the question is will they have those 2 families or 4 families as their brand starts to take a hit.
when we were on the Disney Wish, i chatted with several people who were first timers to disney, both on the cruise and at the visit to WDW which had preceded the cruise.
They'd all had terrible experiences at WDW.
They had gone with high expectations, since they'd heard so many great things about WDW, from friends, ads, bloggers etc
So they were shocked at what they found.
The crowds, lines, extremely high food prices, high cost and questionable value of genie+, etc etc.
They all said they wouldn't go back to WDW again as it wasn't enjoyable for them at all.
Of course, that's not a scientific sample, just people i chatted with on the cruise.
but these people's bad experiences will eventually get back to the other potential first timers who might have second thoughts about visiting.

yes, but the question is will they have those 2 families or 4 families as their brand starts to take a hit.
when we were on the Disney Wish, i chatted with several people who were first timers to disney, both on the cruise and at the visit to WDW which had preceded the cruise.
They'd all had terrible experiences at WDW.
They had gone with high expectations, since they'd heard so many great things about WDW, from friends, ads, bloggers etc
So they were shocked at what they found.
The crowds, lines, extremely high food prices, high cost and questionable value of genie+, etc etc.
They all said they wouldn't go back to WDW again as it wasn't enjoyable for them at all.
Of course, that's not a scientific sample, just people i chatted with on the cruise.
but these people's bad experiences will eventually get back to the other potential first timers who might have second thoughts about visiting.
Welcome to pandemic fallout and historically high inflation. It's pretty ****e, innit?

Everything sucks right now. Nothing about WDW is uniquely sucky IMO. You'll spend as much on a week vacation at the Jersey Shore as you will a week at Port Orleans Riverside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter