So Mater is the star of Cars2?

MikeandReneePlus5

DIS Veteran
I don't think I can stomach that much Mater.

I also hear the plot is fairly imcomprehensible for kids.

Anyone see it yet?

I have.

Mater isn't so much the "star" as he has a significant subplot. The story is still about a world-wide grande prix type race that Lightning McQueen is trying to win for the gang back home, but there's a whole "spy vs. spy" subplot that's really pretty entertaining.

The kids I was with (ages 5 and 9) had no trouble figuring out what was going on. As is normal for Pixar films, there were jokes that went over their heads and were aimed more at older kids or adults, but for the most part, it was totally kid-friendly. And the film really uses the 3-D technology to its advantage. There are some very striking race scenes, and some of the "scenery" is spectacular.

:earsboy:

It doesn't bother me, but you might want to put a spolier warning in the title so if someone doesn't want to know what it is about they won't open the thread.

Scary? My 3 year old was nearly needed a trauma counselor after seeing some of the end sequnce of TS3. And Big Baby .. wow. It was like a horror movie for him.
And that was a rental in the safety of our home. He is a Cars FREAK, but I see explosions in teh ads. Any death or big time scary things going on? To gauge we can't do Bruce in Nemo, we can't do TS3 once Lotso gets mean in Sunnyside, we can't do Incredibles when it gets action-packed, we can't do stampede in Lion King or when scar gets nasty, we can't do Beauty and Beast... you get the idea. Diz films are mostly pretty violent when you think of it. Cars is one of the few with a very safe story line for easily spooked young kids....

Lots of gun shots, very action packed, the bad guys want to kill lightning McQueen, kind of like an animated James bond movie. If these were humans the movie would probably have a pg13 rating.

What about Doc Hudson? I've heard to be prepared to explain what happend to Doc, and that there is some type of tribute to him/Paul Newman. I don't know how prepared I need to be to answer questions or if it's something that might go over the heads of the younger ones. Thanks!

Just got back from seeing Cars 2 while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Got to say, my 4 year old loved it. The Deadliest Catch fan in me was pretty surprise to see the Northwestern & Sig Hansen's voice in one of the opening scenes.

Scary? My 3 year old was nearly needed a trauma counselor after seeing some of the end sequnce of TS3. And Big Baby .. wow. It was like a horror movie for him.
And that was a rental in the safety of our home. He is a Cars FREAK, but I see explosions in teh ads. Any death or big time scary things going on? To gauge we can't do Bruce in Nemo, we can't do TS3 once Lotso gets mean in Sunnyside, we can't do Incredibles when it gets action-packed, we can't do stampede in Lion King or when scar gets nasty, we can't do Beauty and Beast... you get the idea. Diz films are mostly pretty violent when you think of it. Cars is one of the few with a very safe story line for easily spooked young kids....

Wow, so sorry to hear this. I must consider our family lucky, as our 3 year old doesn't seem to be affected by any of these sequences.

Lots of gun shots, very action packed, the bad guys want to kill lightning McQueen, kind of like an animated James bond movie. If these were humans the movie would probably have a pg13 rating.

Just as I feared. Thanks. Was hoping for another solid movie good for all ages like Cars 1, but I know they want to appeal to the bigger audience including teens and adults not just 2-3 year olds. Oh well.

My DS6 turns TS3 off before it gets to the end everytime. Last time we went to Disney we had plans to watch a movie on the beach at the BC and my son said ok but if it is TS3 we are leaving before its over.

We enjoyed the movie, though it leaned more toward action/adventure than an emotional mood when compared to other recent Pixar films such as Up and TS3. I can see the appeal this movie would have for kids who love action scenes. The story line was easy to follow (pretty much it's good guys vs. bad guys), and without giving away the plot I'll say that Mator does have a lot of screen time.

A nice tribute was paid to Doc Hudson at the beginning of the movie.

We looks for the Pizza Planet truck, but didn't see it. I'm sure it must have been shown sometime in the movie.

THis one sounds right up my ds3's alley. He loves lightning but the first movie was way to slow for him in certain parts.

Saw it and really enjoyed it. I took 3 boys, ages 10, 10 and 7. The 7 yo didn't get some parts but understood enough to be entertained. The 10 yo's loved it and laughed throughout. There was a lot of humor young kids wouldn't get. I noticed a lot of the toddlers in the audience wandering around and making noise during the film so I assumed they were bored.

BTW, there's a Pixar "short" before the movie that was almost worth the price of movie admission alone.

I also want to add, I didn't like Cars. I thought it was cute but mostly dragged. Cars 2 was MUCH MUCH MUCH better, IMO. It was almost as thrilling as a James Bond movie, esp in the beginning.

The overall movie critic reviews of Cars 2 are, well, terrible.

Sad to say that this looks to be Pixar's first washout with the critics.

i'm sure i will enjoy it when i see it. however, after watching a show about it recently, i was dissapointed that it was more of a james bondish type plot.

i think a better story line that would fit well would have been a remake of "it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world"...a great UNITED ARTISTS classic taht the Cars characters would have been perfect for.

another live action movie adaptation that would work well is the old Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter