*So* Sick on Mission Space!

Yikes!!! :rolleyes: This is exactly what I was afraid of..I have been having nightmares about riding MS.See, I always seem to close my eyes by instinct when I'm on a ride.It started the first time I rode Space Mountain when I was 5 (long story).:( . I think I'll enjoy the preshow, skip the ride and go to the exit to people watch while everyone else rides it.Maybe, after looking at everyone's faces when they exit ,I will not regret not going on. ;)

I ,for one, appreciate your sincere and honest description of your "wonderful" experience ;)

WE should post a poll and see what percentage of Disers got sick.

Great idea!! How about another poll to see where were the people who got sick seating at (pilot,co-pilot,etc.):confused:

:crazy: LOL :crazy:

SAD to say...I'm laughing so hard at your experience...I'm crying!

Looks like IF...I have time to ride MS...I'll RUN over to Test Track instead!

I was not worried about the spinning or G's, but I have a problem with tight, enclosed spaces and chickened out last minute last week. Two of my kids (DD 13 and DD 11) went on and told me they thought that I made the right choice. They have been with me when I needed to bail on other enclosed simulators (Wash DC Air/Space @ Smithsonian "Let me out!") and they said I wouldn't have liked this either.

They both liked the ride, not sure that they liked it enough to want to go on again though. Neither were sick, just not sure they liked the feeling they were left with.

It kills me that I probably will never go on this ride as I have been looking forward to it since it was announced a couple of years ago.

Mind over matter....

-Jim

Oh heck....I think I'm getting sick just reading this thread :rolleyes:

I'm curious Pooh Gets Married......did you eat shortly before you went on or did you have an empty stomach?

I get very motion sickness very badly, but believe it or not, I race sailboats. I find that if I take Bonine and eat a bunch of bread products just before I sail, I'm OK (bread soaks up the acids that are released due to motion sickness). If I sail on an empty stomach, I get sick as a dog.

Originally posted by Pooh Gets Married
[Ball I could think was "How can I make it without throwing up on these people in the pod with me." Actually, I guess in a centrifuge I'd just throw up on myself, not that that's an appealing option either.[/B]
LOL!!!!
Your little write-up was hilarious. I realize it had a greater purpose than to amuse me, but I really thought it was very funny.

As you can see by my tag, I still plan on tackling the beast. But I'm also one of those people who do not get motion sickness. *knock on wood*

Our experience from riding the ride and I read somewhere else that someone else experienced the same thing, is that different seats in the ride get a different pull. It makes engineering sense if you think about it. When you get in the ride, the person on the far right is going to be on the outside of the centrifuge once it gets into position. That is the Engineer position, that seat will experience the greatest pull. The seats then going to the left will experience decreasing effects towards the inside of the centrifuge. Make sense? So the Navigator seat will be the mildest ride. If you're concerned, but want to try it anyway, make sure you're in the Navigator seat, the far left seat in the capsule. I am an eye closer in virtual reality rides, let me warn you, DO NOT close your eyes in this ride, it will make it worse. The video sequence is not what is bothering your equilibrium so it will not help you to close your eyes. Actually focusing on the video to give your equilibrium something to concentrate on will actually help you. Keep your head back and don't look at the other screens, focus on yours. Enjoy!

Does anyone know for a fact that the ride vehicles actually rotate so that you're facing "forward" (in the direction that the ride is spinning) as opposed to facing towards the axis (like the "round up" carnival rides alluded to). I got the impression from the pre-show that you remain facing the axis. Why would they start the ride with the vehicles facing the axis and then rotate them 90 degrees? I don't think it would make loading/unloading any easier.

I really am sad to say I know that I won't try MS. I've read all the reviews and know my poor equilibrium well enough to know I couldn't do it.
So sad about that because I'd love to know what G forces feel like.
Bobbi:(

For what it's worth . . .

I rode MS this past Saturday. DH (who has recently gotten very queasy on teacups and now opts out of anything that spins) sat out, so I went in solo on the (hooray, fast!) singles line.

Before entering, I asked a cast member if lots of people really do get sick. His answer, “People get sick on very ride.” Wasn’t very reassuring!

About me: I'm a major chicken on most roller coasters, though admittedly it's not about feeling physically sick - it's fear. It’s being dropped that I HATE (did ToT once, never again), though I enjoy spinning, turns, and almost all motion simulators. I never get car sick, can read in moving vehicles (though reading on a treadmill makes me very dizzy), and while I don’t think of myself as having a cast iron stomach – I’m usually not particularly reactive. I do usually feel a bit disoriented and rubber-legged after exiting RnR. Rode in the morning (ride had been shut down for a while) and I didn’t have a ton of food in my stomach, but had eaten breakfast about 1.5 hours before.

After reading stories here (and hearing--a bit of folklore perhaps--while at WDW that on a test run for cast members nearly everyone got sick), I’ll admit that I was a bit nervous. Two women in front of me on the singles line, however, had just come off and were going again and assured me that they felt totally fine. . . and that the worst part was the warnings. They weren’t kidding! I’ve never seen so many explicit announcements about backing out. Gary offered people the chance to bail out many times over.

I believe I was the engineer (far left in my module). Kept eyes open and straight ahead the whole time. It was a lot of fun, and I definitely felt the force pulling me back. But it really wasn’t bad at all. It’s a very smooth simulator and—if I’m really being honest—almost wished for more speed and more motion. Couldn’t tell I was spinning at all.

When I exited I felt no ill effects whatsoever, but it was clear that others weren’t moving toward the exit at the same clip that I was. One woman was crying hysterically. I didn’t personally witness anyone getting sick.

SO – as someone who is pretty chicken about rides but who doesn’t get motion sick – I was 100% totally fine (only one ride . . . time/other commitments prevented a return visit). But I imagine if you know you’re prone to sickness your body might know it was moving in circles, even if you couldn’t “see” it.

Happy to answer any questions.

Was at WDW last week and I found M/S an exhilarating experience, one I had to try again. And I did of course.

I had never ridden Tower of Terror before – it was being built on our last visit years ago – and had a harder time dealing with the drops. As for M/S, after the liftoff, which was unbelievable, the ride is pretty standard stuff, albeit done spectacularly. And my wife and I needed at least 5 minutes to regain our earthbound senses in both our legs and brains.

Try it, you’ll like it….;-)

I rode MS twice last week. I usually don't get sick at all but I felt very uneasy after the first ride. I was so worried about my kids that I kept looking over at them to see how thay were doing. DO NOT DO THIS.
The second time, I put my head back and stared at my screen as instructed and I absolutely loved the ride. I was the Engineer both times so I was on the outside seat. If you ride listen to the warnings - do not close your eyes and do not look to the side.

The ride is really cool. But I did start to feel queasy. I know looked over at my DD. I too was really glad, we landed on Mars and did not return to Earth. I was in the Navigator seat.

But once I got off the ride, I felt better in a couple minutes. Not like Body Wars. I rode that years ago and I felt bad for a long time.

I will try it again next trip and keep my eyes on the screen.:D

Beacuse of all of the warnings, I didn't get on MS the first day with DS and DH. I can ride Star Tours & RNR but not the tea cups.
DS & DH said the ride was awesome and that I should go on it the next day. I was really uncertain and took 2 (not 1) motion sickness pills beforehand. I was immediately ill. I don't know how people can say they don't know that they are spinnnig. Believe me, I knew it. I just kept saying, oh my god, oh my god! It was the longest 4 minutes of my life. I was sick the rest of the evening. As much as I enjoy thrill rides, I will never get on this ride again.

Because of all of the warnings, I didn't get on MS the first day with DS and DH. I can ride Star Tours & RNR but not the tea cups.
DS & DH said the ride was awesome and that I should go on it the next day. I was really uncertain and took 2 (not 1) motion sickness pills beforehand. I was immediately ill. I don't know how people can say they don't know that they are spinnnig. Believe me, I knew it. I just kept saying, oh my god, oh my god! It was the longest 4 minutes of my life. I was sick the rest of the evening. As much as I enjoy thrill rides, I will never get on this ride again.

First and foremost... Congrats to Pooh Gets Married on her marriage and welcome to the Dis...

I read what you had to say here and the other responses as well.. I am going to WDW in late November and I am a ride wimp... I do not do any thrill rides, I can do Splash Mountain but that is it, but have never had a problem with spinning or simulated rides...However, I am fearing this one as I have read you are seated in close quarters and I tend to be claustrophobic.. I am sure I will ride and if I do, I will post my opinion as well..

I wonder if Disney took in consideration how many people in the world are claustrophobic and get serious motion sickness from this kind of motion... I do not get it because if they did, wouldn't they have modified it in some manner to make it a more comfortable ride other than advising people as they are waiting in line...

scakul--Glad to hear from someone else who knew you were spinning! Motion sickness is a weird thing and if you don't have it in a severe fashion, you sometimes don't understand exactly how bad it can be. I'm even guilty of this! I have such bad motion sickness, but once in a while I'll think "It's all in my head; I can read a magazine on the train ride home." Boy am I sorry! I can't even read a book on an airplane--now THAT is pitiful!

jsgabel--Indeed, Gary offered me so many chances to bail!!! I now see that I should've, but I thought I was up to the task!

zyezye--You can feel the G's on Rock'n"Roller Coaster, perhaps--that didn't make me sick. Granted it's not the same sensation, but thrilling nonetheless.

MackeyMouse--Thanks for the nice welcome! I imagine that Disney knew this was rough going for lots of guests, hence the numerous warnings. However, the presense of such posted warnings on other rides made me less likely to believe them. Then, again, you don't have a movie star come on screen at Thunder Mountain and tell you you might get sick, so I guess I should've paid more attention! I am not a big thrill-ride goer myself, but I managed Tower of Terror and Rock n'Roller Coaster (first time upside-down!) within three hours one morning and loved 'em. As for Mission Space, I suppose if there were a way Disney could've tamed the ride and kept the same effects, they would have. I suspect that's the only way to truly simulate blast-off and weightlessness, especially if you want to take it a few levels beyond Star Tours and Body Wars.

And for those who asked, my stomach was fairly empty when I rode MS. I'd had grits about 3 hours earlier. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter