Soarin' Around the World

I'm not one of those people who always hates CGI. So many treat it like a dirty work. Most of the time I can't even tell the difference. I've never understood why it bothers some people so much. I liked the old film and the new one. I thought it was a very well done and respectful update.

The CGI doesn't bother me too much though it seems more obvious than the original. However, the distortion is awful. The further to the side you get the more distorted things are. Anything tall gets extremely distorted. Can't understand how this film was released with that problem.

A few touches of CGI is fine to add something special but this new film is mostly CGI and it just looks very fake. First time I saw it my complaint was the distortion so the assumption was they used the wrong cameras ....... it shouldn't happen, didn't on last film. But then brought my techie kid and he pointed out lots of things to me and he said it's mostly CGI, and now all the weird stuff makes sense. It does bother me because on Soarin' my hope would be to enjoy a legit film of flying around the world not a sophisticated animation. Bad enough the animals and add ons all looks so fake but now I see the transitions and distortions. Honestly don't care if I ever ride again.

Last edited:
I've never been on Soarin' because I have a tendency to get motion sick, so I'm a little scared of it. DH wants to try it this trip. What's the verdict from people who have done it? For reference, I get pretty nauseated on Star Tours (it passes after about an hour and some food) but I'm perfectly fine on Tower of Terror/Rock N Roller Coaster type rides.

I have issues with Star Tours as well, but Soarin does not bother me at all. We rode it 4 times last week with no issues.

If someone didn't say so, I never would have known the hang-glider and golf cart were added in post.
You assumed Michael Eisner hit a golf ball with a perfectly aligned and upright Mickey head logo, directly into the lens of a helicopter-borne super-camera?

That guy's GOOD!

I've never been on Soarin' because I have a tendency to get motion sick, so I'm a little scared of it. DH wants to try it this trip. What's the verdict from people who have done it? For reference, I get pretty nauseated on Star Tours (it passes after about an hour and some food) but I'm perfectly fine on Tower of Terror/Rock N Roller Coaster type rides.

I close my eyes a 'lot' on Star Tours - really get disoriented, but not on the new Soarin'. Got slightly dizzy on one portion of old Soarin' (where you were over the end of the ship deck when the helicopter took off and turned).

mixed bag of reviews with the new Soarin.
I am in the camp that I don't enjoy it as much as the original. All animals are CGI and the entire Taj Mahal scene.
To me the original just felt more real, I guess, because it was

Even though they did a fine of job of arranging the original theme to go with India, China, and other more ethnic musical tones, I really miss the original soundtrack. I mean, I don't super miss it, because I can listen to it anytime I want online (or in my head -- I can run through the entire song!). But I miss some of the nice musical transitions in the old one that were replaced with what sounds like a zither (pling pling pling!!)

I'm prone to motions sickness (Star Tours ruined me for the day the one time I rode it), and I've never had issues with either version of Soarin'.

Star tours makes me me lose my lunch every time.

Soaring doesn't. I think it does help if you ask for a middle seat. The distortion on the new one messed with me a little. As long as you don't notice the "edges" you're fine. But I'm ok in any seat.

And I am super sensitive to the video aspect of rides. If you go to Paris, I don't recommend Ratatouille. I thought it would be fun like soaring but it is not.

Star tours makes me me lose my lunch every time.

And I am super sensitive to the video aspect of rides. If you go to Paris, I don't recommend Ratatouille. I thought it would be fun like soaring but it is not.

Thanks! :offtopic: DH and I went to Disneyland Paris in 2012 and missed practically everything. It's a little inside joke between us when someone mentions an attraction there, because all we remember was old school Pirates and the Light Motor Action show. Good tip in case we go back (and actually research beforehand)!

Thanks! :offtopic: DH and I went to Disneyland Paris in 2012 and missed practically everything. It's a little inside joke between us when someone mentions an attraction there, because all we remember was old school Pirates and the Light Motor Action show. Good tip in case we go back (and actually research beforehand)!

You may have not missed all that much lol. Paris is TINY. I did both parks in less than a day and I couldn't even do that in CA back when DCA sucked.

Ratatouille is in the other park, I think.

I'm not one of those people who always hates CGI. So many treat it like a dirty work. Most of the time I can't even tell the difference. I've never understood why it bothers some people so much. I liked the old film and the new one. I thought it was a very well done and respectful update.

I agree. I haven't seen the new one in person, but I've seen in on youtube, and I never would've guessed it was mostly CGI. In fact, threads like this make me feel kind of stupid for not being able to tell.

I think they really messed up on the part of the video where the elephant throws the dirt into the air and it transitions into China. That was the perfect spot to have it transition into Egypt.

We saw it four times last year, and I loved it every time. I didn't notice any distortion and the CGI didn't bother me.

My wish though is that they could still run the California version in one of the theaters so you'd have a choice between soaring over CA or the world.

Plus, 2 % of the time you'll get this one
waynes-delaware-hiwere-in-delaware.jpg
Being from Rhode Island, ours would be "hey it's Rhode Island....welcome to Massachusetts"

The distortion is more noticeable because of the landmarks. You are going to see a curve of the Eiffel tower because of the curved screen. A mountain in California, your mind doesn't say "Hey! That Mountain (river, tree) doesn't look straight!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter