Son-in-Law Winged, DD moving to Abilene

hercamore

<font color=blue>beagle boy mom<br><font color=tea
Hi,

I posted this on the Community Boards a couple todays ago, but no responses.

DD and her DH will be moving from Pensacola to this summer with a stopover of 4 months or so at Randolph AFB in San An. for SIL to finish survivor training.

What can anyone tell me about Abilene? Or Randolph? DD's spent all her life in MN with exception of two years in Pensacola.

Thanks,

herc.

Oops,

I meant to say they're moving to Abillene later this year with a stopover of 4 months in San Antonio. Their belongings will have to go in storage till they get settled in Abilene..

Texas is great. It will take the first year though to get accustomed to the weather. Summer is very hot. When I used to live in Wisconsin and visit in the summer, walking outside would take my breath away it was so hot. But she will get used to it.

I don't know much about Abilene but San Antonio is a beautiful area.

DD has spent two summers iin Florida now. I think she's getting used to the heat somewhat.

I am looking forward to visiting her in San Antonio and seeing all the historical sites.

herc.

Former Pensacola girl here who was stationed in Texas........It is so much hotter in Texas! :) But we loved every minute of it. It has been one of our favorite duty stations.

We never made it to Abilene, but as others have said, San Antonio is wonderful with lots of things to see and do. It would be a perfect place to visit.

Congrats on your Son In law's winging! As an aviator's wife, I know that is no easy feat and something to take great pride in!

Thanks, 3disney gals!

Yes, SIL is SO relieved that part of the training is over.

Seriously, i't is hotter in Texas than Pensacola? . DD keeps saying it's gotta be less humid in Texas.

herc.

I've spent the last 4 months at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo. Tell them to get ready for the West Texas winds
storm.gif

Yes, SIL is Air Force.

By SERE, you mean survival training? If so, yes, he's doing survival training, where exaclty I don't know in SA.

Ok, Texas is windy, hot, and humid. Oh boy. Hope the AC works well where they stay, LOL.

herc..

SERE is survival - there's two parts, land and water. Water is done at Pensacola or Fairchild, and land is done at Fairchild. Usually. It's not long, I think three weeks. If he's going there soon, he's hitting the best time of year in Washington.

Thanks, 3disney gals!

Yes, SIL is SO relieved that part of the training is over.

Seriously, i't is hotter in Texas than Pensacola? . DD keeps saying it's gotta be less humid in Texas.

herc.

Yes, I hate to tell you this but it really was. We were stationed in Puerto Rico right before Texas and it is even hotter than Puerto Rico. I guess those ocean breezes make a big difference.

You just learn to plan a lot of indoor/air conditioned activities Jun-Sept. :)

SIL has done some water surival training in Pensacola. I have pictures of him jumping from helicopter in the gulf.

How many AFB in Texas anyway?

Let's see, I guess I'll have to plan on visiting DD in the fall or winter, LOL. Where I live, in SE MN, average summer temp is 80.

herc.

I've spent the last 4 months at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo. Tell them to get ready for the West Texas winds
storm.gif

Saw your post, we are on our way out of Goodfellow in July. Just had to say Hi! Are you at the fire school?

You were right about the winds. I grew up here, was out of state with DH for 8 years, moved back here for the last 5. I don't remember the winds being like they are now. They just never seem to stop.

OP, as for the heat, you will hear a lot of "It's a dry heat!". We lucked out last Summer and it wasn't as hot until August. I think DH brought it back with him from Iraq. We are already in the 80's and 90's. So this year looks like a hot one. The funny thing is, come Fall and Spring. One day it will be 80 and next it could be snowing.

Abilene is a good size town. You are right on I-20, so only a couple of hours from Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Congrats on the Winging!

Thanks.

Son in law sitll waiting to hear when he'll be transferred...I look forward to visting San Antonio and Abilene whenever they move.

herc.

We have been stationed at Randolph AFB for 5 years now and I will be happy to share any information with you. We live 3 miles from the main gate in Universal City. Randolph is actually located in Universal City but within 5 minutes you are in the San Antonio city limits. The commute downtown to the Riverwalk, Alamo, and other tourist attractions is about 20 minutes from the base. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer them the best that I can. They will absolutely love San Antonio!!!

Hi,
we're about 20 min. away from Abilene and loving it here! The people are super nice everywhere, lots of things to do (fishing, hiking, parks, historical sites), and the weather is pretty ok too. We had our reservations before coming here (got used to living in Europe for so long), but Kansas really surprised us in a great way, so much that when my husband retires in 8 years (army) we will most likely come back here.

Yes, Texas gets hotter than Florida sometimes. The winters are mild and the summers are HOT.

San Antonio is further south and humid.

Abilene is futher west and north. It is dry and windy.

BTW, welcome to Texas. We have a saying around here..."If you don't like the weather, stick around - it will change"

I'm just back from visiting Dd and SIL in Pensacola. Very nice winging ceremony at the PNAS. Perfect weather.

SIl still doesn't know when he will be transferred. It seems like military life is "hurry up and wait".

Thanks for all the friendly info.

herc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter