Sore losers

SLDL

DIS Veteran
We are leaving in 3 weeks for DW. :banana: Let me just say that I am really happy for all those that have won something - that's great for you!! The stay in the castle, unbelievable, those folks looked like they were really so excited. The little girl that won the shopping trip & shared w/ her sister, I couldn't be more happy for her - that is so wonderful!! And so on and so on.
But as for me, I can say that if I didn't win anything, I would be a sore loser. I am going to try to forget that anyone is giving anything away but I know I will still be upset if at the end of the day, I have received nothing. My DS 4 has already asked me if I thought we could sleep in the castle b/c of that commercial they show repeatedly on tv. I told him that it was a contest & not get his hopes up for it.

So how does everyone handle rejection when they don't win a thing? Yes, a trip to DW is unforgetable, but darn it, I want something free too! :goodvibes

Just remember - when you look at the number of people visiting the 4 parks every day, a very small percentage will win anything at all. It's like playing the lottery. Everyone hopes to win but hardly anyone does. If you spend all your time worrying about whether you'll win or not, you'll ruin your trip! There are enough cool things to do at WDW. Think of how many people will never even get the opportunity to take a trip there in their lifetimes. Who needs little prizes? You get to go to WDW!!!! Isn't that enough? (There - did I talk you out of your sore loser funk?) ;)

Oh my goodness. I can't believe this post. how could you be a sore loser! I am hoping your kidding. If not I have to agree with Luv Bunnies and say "You're in Walt Disney World" isn't that enough. I hear from many people all the time that they can't even go to Disney World. Your going and so is your little one...enjoy being there. Forget about the little prizes. Your getting a much bigger payoff by just being there.

I hear from many people all the time that they can't even go to Disney World.

Exactly. I've never been, but I love reading about everyone's adventures, including YOMD winners. :confused3 There are people who go there every day and don't even KNOW about YOMD..I guess they're the lucky ones who can just enjoy it as intended and not be sour if they don't get any extras.

SLDL, I know what you are saying. I'm happy for the people who get something, but I'm not above saying that I want something too and will be disappointed (again) if no pixie dust gets sprinkled my way.

Let's not start with the, "just be happy you can go," stuff. It negates and minimizes someone's real feelings and isn't fair. Should people who get Dreams give them back because they aren't necessary? After all, those people should just be happy to be there too and getting something for free when other people can't afford to go is just plain wrong.

Better to be a sore loser...than a loser's sore?
(I'm sure there's a little grandma from a third world country that came up with those words of wisdom.)

Anyway, it's okay to be disappointed. I'm mean come on, doesn't it happen in our lives everyday in one way or another (got on the scales and gained weight, had to take the last parking spot in the row, haircut did not look like the picture, etc.).

All you can do is go and have a good time and keep telling yourself (and your little boy) that you might be fortunate to get a surprise during your visit, bit if that doesn't happen the world won't end. Also, think of how many people have seen those commercials and will never even get the opportunity to set foot inside WDW.

Let's not start with the, "just be happy you can go," stuff. It negates and minimizes someone's real feelings and isn't fair.

I see it as more of trying to put it in perspective for the OP not trying to negate SLDL's feelings. SLDL asked how everyone else handled the "rejection" of not winning and most people are responding that they handle it by not having enormous expectations.

Going to WDW is plenty for me--and we're not only going because we might win something--we'd be going this year anyway. This is a huge contest--I'm going in March and I don't expect to win anything. Would I love to? Sure, but I'm not going to be upset at the end of the day if I don't win anything.

I play the lottery from time to time and I don't expect to win that any time soon either. But, it's fun to have a chance--same with YOAMD. Any other year we went, we wouldn't even have the CHANCE to win anything.

You can believe this or not but I really, really was not disappointed that I didn't "Win" anything. I really, really just feel fortunate that I am able to go and am happy just being there. In fact.... my DH and I went in Jan and had discussed that if we happened to win a night in the Castle (which I didn't expect to) that I would rather give it to someone else with little girls. I forgot for the majority of time that I was there that dreams were being given away. The only time I thought about it was if I saw a fastpass or ears.

BTW... I don't get upset if I don't get towel animals either. I love getting them but I don't let it ruin my trip.

So.. I quess to answer your question (and I'm not trying to disregard your feelings, just telling you about mine) I don't sweat over the little stuff. I just enjoy my time there and enjoy watching others having fun.

I know there are quite few dollar type stores that have Disney items. Socks, candy, pens, etc. Why don't you pick up a few and every night leave one under your son's pillow. Kinda like the tooth fairy only this is Disney Tink Pixie Dust Magic. Can you just see your son's delighted face every morning when he finds his dream under the pillow? There, that is what the magic about. Find your own. Don't wait for someone else.

PS-it is totally okay to be sad about not winning. I won't tell you how much I spent in postcards so far. So I'm really PAYING for my dreams.

After reading about all the excitement when YOMD started, I was surprised by how few dreams we saw being granted when we visited WDW in January. I saw only a handful of fastpasses, one or two dream ears and no dream lanyards. I also had the mistaken impression that the rides and restaurants were granting small wishes all the time - and I only saw something special happen on one ride and never saw anything at a restaurant.

I will admit that I was a little dissapointed with the overall lack of dream-granting we saw. We dealt with the disappointment by becoming dream granters ourselves - we offered to take pictures for people, gave children pins off our lanyards, and shared fastpasses. DS even gave another family one of the painbrushes he found at Tom Sawyer's Island. It made us feel like a part of the magic.

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

After reading about all the excitement when YOMD started, I was surprised by how few dreams we saw being granted when we visited WDW in January. I saw only a handful of fastpasses, one or two dream ears and no dream lanyards. I also had the mistaken impression that the rides and restaurants were granting small wishes all the time - and I only saw something special happen on one ride and never saw anything at a restaurant.

I will admit that I was a little dissapointed with the overall lack of dream-granting we saw. We dealt with the disappointment by becoming dream granters ourselves - we offered to take pictures for people, gave children pins off our lanyards, and shared fastpasses. DS even gave another family one of the painbrushes he found at Tom Sawyer's Island. It made us feel like a part of the magic.

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

We noticed the same thing when we went Jan 27-Feb 3. However I did see on the roller coaster in Toon Town that they got to ride twice and got a business card I guess about the magical thing.

Also we saw at a CS is MK that a family got a special private table with the food bought to the table for them.

I had a great time either way! Congrats to those that do win:)

I suppose the likelihood of winning a "BIG" dream is so slim, that to allow yourself to be disappointed just seems like you are borrowing trouble...y'know?

Today's society makes me sad...so much gimme gimme gimme. Not enough joy in what we have each day. Putting presents underneath a child's pillow who is AT disneyworld...I just don't get it. We are teaching our children that they never have ENOUGH...if someone is getting something they don't have, then oh my lord the world will end. When I was young, just getting to GO camping with my family was the prize...to have expected extra gifts on top of what was already a gift...never would have occurred to me.

We choose our joy each day. If having the money and the opportunity to go to Disneyworld is not enough blessing for you or for your son, then you are giving your power away to others...waiting for someone to what? Hand you a pair of ears or a fastpass? Choose your joy. Feel joy for others, find joy in the fact that you are with your child, that he is (I hope) healthy and able to walk around and enjoy Disneyworld.

I'm not trying to disrespect the OP or minimize her feelings...I was just shocked at the post is all and felt compelled to respond.

I hope you both have a wonderful trip.

I think it is sad that Disney starts a great promotion like this, and now people are complaining because they don't get something.:confused3

I know that when I am at Disney, I am just excited to be there. I don't begrudge anyone else their prizes. I don't run around complaing becuase I didn't win something. I don't go up to the guest relations window and crab that I was not a winner. I know the Op has not done any of these things, but it just seems so silly to me. What is this world coming to when we cannot even have contests any more without someone getting hurt feelings?

OP- The simple answer is don't go to Disney and expect to win a dream. If you do, then great! Yell, jump up and down, celebrate! :yay: Isn't there much more joy in winning something unexpectedly than in expecting to get something and being upset if you don't?

Thanks for these responses. I was really half-joking but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't be ecstatic to receive any extras. I would be the fool jumping up and down hollering about winning the special ears, or anything, just b/c I won something. No, I'm not going to go back to my room and weep if I don't get anything, so don't think that. And I certainly didn't plan a trip just for the chance of winning something. My Disney dream will be having my parents, husband & children all at DW, happy & healthy...something I really thought could never happen. My dream is seeing the photo I will take of my dad holding my little girl in front of the castle or seeing this grown 60 year old man riding Dumbo or Buzz Lightyear for the 6th time b/c his grandson wants to.
And I do like the idea of creating dreams for others...I would really love to be the CMs who get to award this stuff, wouldn't that be wonderful!!?? And if I saw anyone be awarded anything, I'd probably jump up & down for them too! But I'd still love to stay in the castle :goodvibes and I don't think its a crime to feel that way. ;)

I have already gone a total of about 15 days since this promo started & never once been disappointed of not being a winner. Disappointed that I had to leave, yes.... winner no... Do not get me wrong, I would love to win the night in the castle, but would not be disappointed if I didn't. I am happy just arriving there safe and sound. I am happy that I am healthy enough to go there.. life is too short to dwel on something like that...and sometimes so is my trip. Thinking like that can spoil the entire trip.

Thanks for these responses. I was really half-joking but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't be ecstatic to receive any extras. I would be the fool jumping up and down hollering about winning the special ears, or anything, just b/c I won something. No, I'm not going to go back to my room and weep if I don't get anything, so don't think that. And I certainly didn't plan a trip just for the chance of winning something. My Disney dream will be having my parents, husband & children all at DW, happy & healthy...something I really thought could never happen. My dream is seeing the photo I will take of my dad holding my little girl in front of the castle or seeing this grown 60 year old man riding Dumbo or Buzz Lightyear for the 6th time b/c his grandson wants to.
And I do like the idea of creating dreams for others...I would really love to be the CMs who get to award this stuff, wouldn't that be wonderful!!?? And if I saw anyone be awarded anything, I'd probably jump up & down for them too! But I'd still love to stay in the castle :goodvibes and I don't think its a crime to feel that way. ;)

You aren't a sore looser!!! Trust me, I think all of us (at least us here) would look the same if we won the castle :lmao: After them scrapping me off the concrete from dropping in shock.. I would be jumping with joy :rotfl:

There are 1,025,060 Official Year of a Million Dreams prizes.

Award locations are Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, DisneyLand, California Adventure, and postcard drawings.

Year of a Million Dreams runs from October 1, 2006 to December 31, 2007.

That's 457 days, or an average (because the postcard drawings don't occur every day) of 2,243 prizes awarded per day. Divide that by the nine 'locations' and you have an average of just under 250 prizes awarded per day per location.

Figure each park has 25,000 visitors per day, and any Guest's chance of winning is one in a hundred - and remember, 25,000 is a LOW number for some parks.

We just came back from our January trip and we didn't win anything. I still thought it was exciting seeing the people with the dream fastpasses and dream ears. Sure I wish we could win but that's just part of the excitement. I do play "tinkerbelle" to my kids each night so they always have something to look forward to.

We'll be back in July. We would love to be the family that stays in the castle. Hey we'd even like to be a family that wins a free Mickey bar but it definitely won't determine how good of a time we have or what memories we make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter