Sorry kids! We're going to the DARK SIDE!

So, I think I mentioned before about a school that Hubs wants to go to that is in Orlando. It is 16 months long. We found out that tuition and stuff would be covered under his GI Bill. After being down here for a week and checking out the area, and talking with our family who lives down here, we are considering moving here next year. It would be short term, but how awesome would it be to be in Florida for longer then a week! Of course, we wouldn't be on vacation that whole time (I wish!) but still... To be able to take that trip to the beach on a weekend or to splurge and visit the parks without also having to splurge on hotel expenses also..

A lot would have to fall into place in the next year, but if The Lord opens the door you better believe we will take a flying leap through it! :). However, if that doesn't work, we do plan on coming back this way next spring break! Hubs has fallen in love with Universal also!

:cheer2: Woot! My DH has no student loans because of the GI Bill.
Glad to hear your vacation is going so well. I hope you have a great day at Legoland. The only one I've been to has been the one in California. My kids were alot younger, and we all enjoyed the park. Now, neither kid would be interested.

Have a nice week-end.

Oh, and Bessie has a friend. My car is 7 years old and needed some repairs. Lets just say it's a very expensive start to April. Ugh. But, what had to be done had to be done. It was a very brutal winter on the car.

At least if you move to Florida, the winter's shouldn't be as cold.

I'm so happy for you that you are having such a good time that you would consider relocating for school. Sounds like a great opportunity, and then think of the Florida resident rates you could take advantage of! ;)

Oh no, Lynne! Car repairs are the worst! They really hit us hard this year. I will be driving Bessie forever just to justify the amount of work we put in her.. But I'm quite attached to her so that's okay. She did great on the trip. Not a spot of trouble out of her! I bought her a little gift at Downtown Disney... A Mike Wazowski thing that goes on the antenna! :) I couldn't resist!

Legoland was enjoyable yesterday, but it was hot and we were all pretty worn out. We didn't stay the whole day, but came back to the resort and had a pizza/movie night.

We check out today. I am so sad to leave, although I am missing my cats and dog.

We look forward to vacation for so long, then it's over in a blink of an eye...I'm at 22 days out...almost over.

We check out today. I am so sad to leave, although I am missing my cats and dog.

Safe travels home :goodvibes .

I miss my cat when we are away, too....and she is super annoyed when we walk through the door. She always gives us a good tongue-lashing as she laps up some loving :goodvibes .

Looking forward to seeing some of your favourite vacation photos once you get settled back in!

We made it to our hotel in Atlanta. I must say, I think Georgia has the worst traffic! I-75 was backed up and there were signs posted that the right lane was closed three miles ahead. Several signs. It was so backed up and we'd already been stuck in traffic for so long, we detoured around a bit. When we got back on 75 a few miles down the road, we noticed it was the LEFT lane that was closed. Gee.. I wonder if that was the problem? We thought we were past it, but then there was bad traffic for another 70 miles!! At one point, we decided to get off 75 and go the back roads. I highly suggest it! Georgia is actually quite pretty! I think we may opt to stay off the interstate from now on! I'm tired.. We are going to try to get an early start in the morning. Back to the real world (and waking up at 4:30a for work) on Monday.

So sad it's over! Hope you have a nun eventful rest of the way home, then cheer yourself up by telling us all about it!

So sad it's over! Hope you have a nun eventful rest of the way home, then cheer yourself up by telling us all about it!

Not sure how to edit my post, but that should say uneventful. Though nun eventful sounds more interesting!

Yep, it was "nun eventful" the rest of the way home! LOL! I will upload my pics after work tomorrow and get started on my trip report ASAP! :)

I tried my hardest to get off work early on the Thursday that we left so that I would have at least a little time to get last minute stuff done. However, it didn't happen. I just knew that I was forgetting SOMETHING, but we managed to squeeze all our stuff into Bessie (I honestly think that our Suburban trunk isn't nearly as big as it seems to be) and get on the road ON TIME!

Now, by on time, I mean by 3:30pm.. but to Hubs, that is considered LATE. "Early is on time, on time is LATE!" he is always saying to me.. and this is why he is always setting our clocks 15 minutes fast. Because I'm always LATE.. But you try getting yourself and 4 heathen children ready and somewhere on time! I'm telling you, it is impossible. So, the fact that we were in the car and on the road at exactly 3:30pm was a minor miracle.

We stopped at a random Cracker Barrel for dinner. What we thought would be an hour stop turned into a 2 hour one simply because it took them an hour just to bring our food. It wasn't even all that busy. I don't know what the deal was with that. But we got our tummies full and Boo Bear nearly beat me at a game of checkers and we were on our way once again without buying anything from the gift shop area.. another minor miracle.

Now, I've driven through North Carolina before back when Hubs was in AIT at Ft. Jackson, SC.. but I've never stopped. It is a pretty drive, but it was pitch dark by the time we arrived and Hubs didn't get to see any of the prettiness. He drove most of the way and did comment on how hilly and curvy the roads were. He apparently thought that they'd just blast straight through the mountains instead of going among them.. :drive: We arrived at the Country Inn & Suites (hotwire deal online) at about 1am or so.. I honestly don't remember other then it was really late and we were pooped!

Unfortunately, there was some sort of mix up and, despite the fact that it clearly stated 2 adults and 3 children (the max allowed on hotwire) we were given a single, King room. Yep.. just one bed. No pull out couch, nothing. Just one bed. There wasn't another free room in the place, so the girls camped on the floor and we got a porta-crib for Buds. We were too tired to care. At least the room was spacious.

The next morning we got up and ate a really good breakfast (seriously, their continental breakfast is pretty awesome!) and headed towards Penske Racing Headquarters. Hubs was in 7th heaven!

1013818_10203902876556064_8046594421633973891_n.jpg

1959213_10203902866875822_5589535362725876125_n.jpg

He was so impressed with how clean their shop was!

10153654_10203902871035926_8509007704555594936_n.jpg

The kids thought that getting close to the race cars were cool!

1509933_10203902862035701_3263243787601566503_n.jpg

Hubs got to talking to the receptionist there and she encouraged him to turn in an application.. He says he didn't care what he did, he just wants to work for Penske! LOL! He said if he just spent all day emptying trash cans he'd be happy! :rolleyes:

We then went to the Nascar Hall of Fame. It was about lunch time so we ate at Buffalo Wild Wings, which was connected to the museum. I got a black bean burger which was good except the server got my order wrong and then took forever to bring back the missing toppings. I don't remember what Hubs ordered. The kids got a bunch of appetizers and shared them. I gotta say, the fries were delicious but it could have just been that I haven't eaten fries in a long, long time.

Now, I wasn't looking forward to the Nascar Hall of Fame. I thought it would be boring and I would be spending my time trying to keep the kids from wreaking havoc upon the place. But I have to say, it was pretty cool! There were TONS of hands on activities for kids (of all ages, including adult sized children like Hubs!) to do! I was quite impressed!!

10168146_10203902878156104_3892088193304150931_n.jpg

There was an exhibit on women drivers there that the girls though was cool!

1010212_10203902879956149_6262984422132670527_n.jpg

564739_10203902858715618_5746057888690627645_n.jpg

10174948_10203902884156254_2598540059833392436_n.jpg

I didn't know that the Hudson Hornet was REAL!

1509950_10203902889116378_1979269631239718846_n.jpg

"Selfie" of me and the Hubs.

After the museum, we headed back to the hotel and asked if a different room had opened up. None had, so we walked over to the Melting Pot for dinner.

That was probably the most chaotic and stressful meal I had ever had in my life. Trust me.. do NOT take kids under the age of 13 to the Melting Pot. Just don't. I had to drink two Mojitos to keep from having a break down. It was yummy though.. what I got to enjoy of it anyways. Hubs and I definitely want to go back one day when we are kid free.

We took the kids swimming at the hotel after dinner in hopes of wearing them out but they continued to bounce off the walls until they crashed. We got up early the next morning, loaded up the car, had another delicious breakfast, and hit the road. We stopped at a Starbucks for a cup of deliciousness and it was the nicest, most efficient one I'd ever been in.

Some thoughts on North Carolina:

Now, I haven't visited the whole state, but I must say that I was impressed. It seemed like they were building some sort of park in the middle of Charlotte, which would be a pretty addition to the city. My favorite city I've ever visited is Indianapolis as far as user friendliness.. I'm unsure if Charlotte will have the same feel, but I got the impression they were trying to make it that way.

The roads were well kept and clean. And LANDSCAPED!! Shopping centers were all very nice and well kept. I seriously saw the nicest Goodwill and Dollar Tree in the WORLD! The people seemed nice (our server at the Melting Pot was a saint!) and we got the impression that they take a lot of PRIDE in their area! It reminded me of the St. Matthews area of Louisville.. very nice and upscale.. just without that element of snobbery. I have no clue if the whole of North Carolina is like that, but I saw a DISTINCT difference when we travelled out of North Carolina and into South Carolina. Gone were the landscaping and nice, clean roads. Instead, it just seemed.. dingy. Along the coast of Georgia it was kind of dingy as well. I also got very sick of seeing nothing but pine trees, pine trees, and more pine trees. Just flat land, garbage, and pine trees for miles. Not the most enjoyable drive.

Tomorrow, I will upload more pics and get started on the Florida portion of my trip report! :)

Great start!

We have family in Charlotte and we love visiting there.....Wingate and Matthews to be exact.
And strangely enough.... When we got married and moved out of California.... We moved to Louisville!!! Lived in Douglas Hills, right next to St. Matthews!,
Co-inky-dink!!

Can't wait to read more!

Your family is so adorable!! :)

Looking forward to this TR!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter