Southwest Fans... are you reconsidering

Has your dedication to SW changed?

• No, they're still my "go to" choice.

Votes: 93 40.4%
  • I'll look elsewhere, but will probably book with SW.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I'll look elsewhere, and am more willing to book elsewhere.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I will book with another airline.

Votes: 25 10.9%

• Total voters
That used to be the case, but in all my travel the last few years they tagged to final destination. They called for all basic economy first, saying there would be no room. And as usual, tagged all rollaboards as those are too big. I travel with my backpack as carry on but it won't fit under the seat (window seats, tiny space). I have to make sure it compresses flat enough to fit, and have to buy a better ticket with seat assignment.
I've never had my bag tagged to final destination. Its always plane side. Now, if they run out of room, thats a different story.

On a non-SWA flight this past weekend when they asked for nags to be gate checked they announced they would all be met with you at your final destination but for strollers or wheelchairs. This surprised me.

And sadly, adding to the stress, now I'm also planning and packing with the bedbug surge in mind (more Europe, but international travelers are at all airports,, and Disney).

On a non-SWA flight this past weekend when they asked for nags to be gate checked they announced they would all be met with you at your final destination but for strollers or wheelchairs. This surprised me.
The flights I have been on, there are a couple options...
1) The flight is full or nearly full and they know they will run out of overhead bin space. They will ask for people to check bags through to final destination pre-emptively.
2) Smaller planes that don't have room for "normal" sized carry on bags in overheads get left somewhere in the jet way (possible right before getting on the plane, possibly a designated area). These are returned somewhere on the jet way at the end of the flight. These are "pink tagged" (at least on Delta).

Both of these I've heard as "gate checked"

1) The flight is full or nearly full and they know they will run out of overhead bin space. They will ask for people to check bags through to final destination pre-emptively.
2) Smaller planes that don't have room for "normal" sized carry on bags in overheads get left somewhere in the jet way (possible right before getting on the plane, possibly a designated area). These are returned somewhere on the jet way at the end of the flight. These are "pink tagged" (at least on Delta).

Agree that many people call these both gate checked, but they are not.
Number 1 is gate checked. You checked your bag at the gate. Number 2 is valet checked. Valet checked means it is supposed to be on the jet bridge.

I've never had my bag tagged to final destination. Its always plane side. Now, if they run out of room, thats a different story.
I've never had them valet check a bag on a mainline plane. Mainline being anything the size of a Boeing 737, Airbus A319 or larger. Every time it's checked through to final destination. Works out for me on the way home as I'll get to check a second bag for free this way.

What always gets me is how much people overpack.

I was originally a serious overpacker but in 2018 DH and I just got sick of standing in line to check baggage and then picking up our luggage from baggage claim. So we started flying only with a backpack that could fit under the seat.

One trip we even traveled to 3 states (in November) and ended up in Cancun, all with just a backpack each. It was a bit tight and we washed our clothes at the resort, but you really can have an amazing trip with very little.

These days we each fly with a $20 duffel from Amazon so we don't have to wash clothes during our stops. If we're traveling in the US we can usually get next-day Amazon or drop into a CVS for anything we forgot.

Once you stop checking luggage it's so nice and relaxing going straight to security that it's pretty hard to go back.

For those who are interested, it's the WONHOX duffel. Some of the colors are $19. It has a waterproof pocket and an amazingly durable zipper. In a pinch it can also fit (although not as well as a backpack) under the seat if you remove any computers you're flying with.

I'll sometimes pack a second one in my carry on, just in case we want to bring stuff back with us. It's extremely scrunchy, so although I've never tried it, I have a suspicion that if it's mostly empty and folded up the second one could be viewed as a personal item.

I agree with you that these are gate checked. But had not heard until the recent flight the gate checked will not not be returned to you until your final destination.

I've never had them valet check a bag on a mainline plane. Mainline being anything the size of a Boeing 737, Airbus A319 or larger. Every time it's checked through to final destination. Works out for me on the way home as I'll get to check a second bag for free this way.
I agree. I have not had a valet check on anything larger than a 717(?). Even I think some CRJ9 I think I've kept my roller bag.
What always gets me is how much people overpack.

I was originally a serious overpacker but in 2018 DH and I just got sick of standing in line to check baggage and then picking up our luggage from baggage claim. So we started flying only with a backpack that could fit under the seat.

One trip we even traveled to 3 states (in November) and ended up in Cancun, all with just a backpack each. It was a bit tight and we washed our clothes at the resort, but you really can have an amazing trip with very little.

These days we each fly with a $20 duffel from Amazon so we don't have to wash clothes during our stops. If we're traveling in the US we can usually get next-day Amazon or drop into a CVS for anything we forgot.

Once you stop checking luggage it's so nice and relaxing going straight to security that it's pretty hard to go back.
My carry on bag I can put ~7 days worth of clothes. Whether that's 7 days for one person or 3 days for one person and 4 days for a second, the 7 days has been pretty solid. My backpack hold all my electronics... laptop, tablet, headphones, chargers for everything and some pens. I have put one day of clothes in the backpack, but not much more than that. Those are my two items.
I agree with you that these are gate checked. But had not heard until the recent flight the gate checked will not not be returned to you until your final destination.
Again, difference between "gate checked" and "valet checked". It all depends on the tag (and what they're trying to accomplish). If it's a white, "sticky" tag, you're picking it up at baggage claim. If it's a small pink/red tag that's attached with string, it should be returned at the next jetway.

I agree. I have not had a valet check on anything larger than a 717(?). Even I think some CRJ9 I think I've kept my roller bag.

My carry on bag I can put ~7 days worth of clothes. Whether that's 7 days for one person or 3 days for one person and 4 days for a second, the 7 days has been pretty solid. My backpack hold all my electronics... laptop, tablet, headphones, chargers for everything and some pens. I have put one day of clothes in the backpack, but not much more than that. Those are my two items.

Again, difference between "gate checked" and "valet checked". It all depends on the tag (and what they're trying to accomplish). If it's a white, "sticky" tag, you're picking it up at baggage claim. If it's a small pink/red tag that's attached with string, it should be returned at the next jetway.
And again, I 100% understand the difference. I may not travel as much as others, but had 100+ legs in the last 12 months on different airlines. I know the difference between valet and gate checked. I also know the difference, not that anyone is asking, between direct and non-stop, which people on these boards don’t seem to know. Oh, and I have been on SWA flights that have participated in the family boarding test, I’ve had EBCI and gotten C boarding, and I know when flying first class on Delta and United what to do with my napkins when done with my meal.

I’ve heard checked for free to your final destination many times over the years but I fly smaller airports so smaller aircraft. I’m not sure what the deciding factor is for plane side/jet bridge pickup vs checked to final destination.

I’ve heard checked for free to your final destination many times over the years but I fly smaller airports so smaller aircraft. I’m not sure what the deciding factor is for plane side/jet bridge pickup vs checked to final destination.
My understanding is if the plane is small enough that only the smallest of bags will fit in the overhead (picture a backpack/small duffle compared to roller types), they valet check.

If the plane actually fits roller types in the overhead, they'll gate check (send to final destination) if/when they run out of room in the overheads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter