Space 2020 - Overpriced and Overhyped

We went this past weekend. We ended up at the lounge. It was absolutely worth it. I don’t think the dinner would have been for our family. We had the cauliflower as an app (undercooked and crunchy), two sliders (excellent) and the chicken & waffle for our mains, and 3 desserts. The carrot cake was the best, and the sticky pudding & chocolate cheesecake were close second. Everything but the cauliflower (and my drink, Milky Way 🥴) was excellent. My drink was super watered down, and just not good. My daughter had the popping candy drink and it was really fun and tasted great.

the dinner would have been a big “no” from us. None of the apps looked good at all, and the entrees would have been a lot of food. We were full after our meals.

the screens were definitely gimmicky, but we were there during the “day to night” switch, which was fun to see

Attachments

• 34716743-74EE-4EE7-A440-3F3334CCFE72.jpeg
    34716743-74EE-4EE7-A440-3F3334CCFE72.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 634EA853-37D2-48A9-B50A-DF8775F2FFC1.jpeg
    634EA853-37D2-48A9-B50A-DF8775F2FFC1.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 57
  • C3563D42-74D5-49CA-A6F3-A59D01CD3DD5.jpeg
    C3563D42-74D5-49CA-A6F3-A59D01CD3DD5.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 54
We went this past weekend. We ended up at the lounge. It was absolutely worth it. I don’t think the dinner would have been for our family. We had the cauliflower as an app (undercooked and crunchy), two sliders (excellent) and the chicken & waffle for our mains, and 3 desserts. The carrot cake was the best, and the sticky pudding & chocolate cheesecake were close second. Everything but the cauliflower (and my drink, Milky Way 🥴) was excellent. My drink was super watered down, and just not good. My daughter had the popping candy drink and it was really fun and tasted great.

the dinner would have been a big “no” from us. None of the apps looked good at all, and the entrees would have been a lot of food. We were full after our meals.

the screens were definitely gimmicky, but we were there during the “day to night” switch, which was fun to see
thanks for the specifics. could you dm the time was your res to see the switch?

We were there in November and really enjoyed it. The waitress did not bring us the trading cards that were supposed to come with the Moon Rocks drinks but decided not to say anything since the other tables near us that she had the people gave her a hard time and we felt so bad did not want to cause any issues.

We just got back from Disney yesterday, and it was an amazing (and expensive) trip. There isn't much I would change with one exception--dinner at Space 220. We at at Space 220 for Dinner on Monday night, and it's hard to put into words how disappointing of an experience it was.

Food v. Price
My wife and our two kids (2 and 4) ate. My wife got the terra-Bolognese, and I got the roasted chicken. The kids shared the spaghetti. I don't actually mind paying $80/meal (we've paid more than this in the past), but the quality of food we received at Space 220 was below what you can expect at a Disney counter service restaurant, making this a ridiculous proposition.
  1. The kids' spaghetti had a sauce so thin and watery it formed something of a tomato-flavored soup in the bowl. The kids were turned off by this--who could blame them--and didn't really want to eat it. Worse still, the noodles were lukewarm.
  2. My wife's bolognese was so bland and tasteless we wondered if they just straight-up made it wrong. It suffered from the same lukewarm condition as the kids' noodles.
  3. The chicken had a dry/tough skin with some portions so leathery I had to eat around them.
I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the food, but even if it was simply Olive Garden quality I would have been satisfied, for the experience promised. But this was downright bad food, none of us could finish our meal, and the "experience" was even more disapointing than the food.

The Atmosphere
A lot of fuss has been made about the atmosphere of Space 220, and honestly had it lived up to the hype I could have overlooked the poor quality of food, but, unfortunately, the atmosphere fell just as flat as the food. I'll cut right to the chase. The quality of graphics on the dinning room screen as well as the elevator are not good. Plain and simple, they are bad. They are far below the industry standard. If you saw those graphics in a movie or TV show, you would laugh at how comically out of place and unrealistic they look. Think circa 2010 video game graphics. There really is no excuse for this as they are not particularly complicated graphics and Disney certainly has teams that know how to produce industry-leading, immersive, photo-realistic visual effects nearly indistinguishable from reality. Disney would never dream of putting graphics of this quality in a Star Wars movie or Guardians of the Galaxy movie, so It's a huge let down that they decided to phone it in here. My daughter, who is four, identified them as being fake almost immediately. We told her we were getting to eat in space, but the jig was up as soon as we walked in.

So we ate poor quality food in front of poor quality visual effects.

We were so excited to eat at Space 2020, I was over the moon when we got a reservation, and I really wanted to love it, but it was a huge $220 let down, and we definitely won't be eating there again. The food was all-out bad. The atmosphere was a let down. Save your money and eat elsewhere. It's not worth it. If you can get a lounge reservation to get a drink and satisfy your curiosity, go for it, but you'll still probably be disappointed as you sip your $15 drink and stare into that poor quality screen.

thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
we'll be at WDW in july.
i'd already decided that lunch for 9 was much more than i was willing to spend, so i came into the boards to see if children are allowed in the lounge, but saw your review.

This was very helpful. I won't even bother with it.

Last edited:

so small children are allowed in the lounge? i wasn't sure.
is there a minimum order amount?
or can you come in and just order a drink and leave?

We had dinner there a few weeks ago and for me, my wife, and three teenagers, a couple of beers for me, and a couple of wines for my wife, including tip, with an AP discount, grand total was about $560. A cool experience but eyewateringly expensive; for those uncomfortable with the cost I would not hesitate to recommend the lounge, where you get essentially the same experience (the lounge tables were not that much further away from the “windows” than our dining table was) at a much more reasonable cost.

Space 220 is very overrated. This is a one and done for us. The experience was so low tech it was awful. We were all disappointed. Really not much to see and not exciting at all. We are still in Disney. I’m very happy that we did lunch and not dinner. Food is not good Don’t bother sending it back , it’s just sub par. I actually felt bad for the workers pretending this was a fun experience. A waste of time and money.

Space 220 is very overrated. This is a one and done for us. The experience was so low tech it was awful. We were all disappointed. Really not much to see and not exciting at all. We are still in Disney. I’m very happy that we did lunch and not dinner. Food is not good Don’t bother sending it back , it’s just sub par. I actually felt bad for the workers pretending this was a fun experience. A waste of time and money.

I went to Space 220 with my mom and it was a one and done for us. The initial "launch" to space is cool but the actual space in where you sit is not that interesting and the food is very mediocre. I was very happy to get a lounge reservation so I didn't have to pay the prefix menu. The food is not by any means bad but it is absolutely NOT worth the prices they are charging. You can definitely get better food even within Epcot (I found my meals at La Hacienda de San Angel and Rose & Crown to be better and for around the same price/cheaper - not so much San Angel but certainly Rose & Crown). My best friend was really looking forward to this place but after I told her my impressions we'll be grabbing a meal at La Hacienda instead.

Also since I've seen a lot of people asking, yes they do allow kids at the lounge. I saw a lot of kids eating at the lounge with their parents. They also allow you to do the 3 coarse prefix menu if you want, but we chose not to.

I saw children in the lounge area there and at other lounges in Disney. I don’t think they can sit at the actual bar but then Disney may have their own set of rules.

My family and I felt the EXACT same way. $55 each for lunch with options like a Chicken Breast, or a Burger? My wife had the Grilled Salmon and gave it an okay rating. Add two adult beverages and a lemonade served with Pop Rocks and it took the bill to $220 for the three of us for lunch.

I too am more than willing to spend $$$ on a nice meal but this was just WAY below a anything of value, and as others have already stated the graphics were meh (“Elevator” was pretty cool we thought). Consensus at our table of five was that we won’t return.…one and done for us as well.

I have a lunch booked for our Epcot day which happens to also be the day Guardians opens to the public. I was on the fence but I’m cancelling. No chance I am paying that much for a mediocre lunch and experience.

So to clarify when we say the food is over priced….. over price for Disney, or chilies

My son and I go to Disney and dinner is 100 bucks on a good night and we don’t drink..

200 is not unheard of for us….. but if the food was as bad as being reported I would send it back

So to clarify when we say the food is over priced….. over price for Disney, or chilies

My son and I go to Disney and dinner is 100 bucks on a good night and we don’t drink..

200 is not unheard of for us….. but if the food was as bad as being reported I would send it back
At least for me when I said Space 220 is overpriced I meant in regards to Disney. You can get every single thing on the menu for the same price or cheaper at other places on property that are way better.

Ok, thanks…. Without going back to look I though the OP I though they said lunch was 80 bucks…. To me that is “normal” or maybe nominal for lunch at Disney ….. quick service is 50 bucks….

Ok, thanks…. Without going back to look I though the OP I though they said lunch was 80 bucks…. To me that is “normal” or maybe nominal for lunch at Disney ….. quick service is 50 bucks….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter