SPACE RESTAURANT WATCH THREAD—Entrance photos post #1609!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once one blog posts a rumoured date, they all copy within hours. I'm almost positive they are all either copying from each other or taking the "next month" comment from the article posted.

As for the flatware, I don't see the big deal. It's really not that expensive when you start looking at quality flatware, which is needed in a high use area like a restaurant. I would not read anything at all into a correlation between the flatware price and it being a 2 credit restaurants. I would actually be really surprised if it's not 1 credit.

And finally, what gets me the most about this whole wait, is shouldn't we be seeing menus if we are a month or less away from opening? They would have to have that finalized long before a month pre-opening.

Yep. Let's be real. One month of being open will pay for that flatware x 10.

For what it’s worth I’m voting signature dining
keep the price high
Exactly. I can also see some type of prix fixe menu being out into place. Maybe not immediately, but eventually. If people want to come in for just a drink or dessert and the view/experience, the restaurant may be forced to do that in order to make money and cover it's costs.

Honestly, I have high expectations for the experience and atmosphere of this place, and I expect the price to match that.

Exactly. I can also see some type of prix fixe menu being out into place. Maybe not immediately, but eventually. If people want to come in for just a drink or dessert and the view/experience, the restaurant may be forced to do that in order to make money and cover it's costs.

Honestly, I have high expectations for the experience and atmosphere of this place, and I expect the price to match that.

I think they should go with a set price from the beginning. They really can't allow what they did at BOG for so long.

So we keep chit chatting and bumping this thread but folks felt the need to report/complain about my 'only post new info' thread and get it shut down so as to keep THIS thread for new updates because, only because, the title has 'watch' in it. Now we are back to wading through gobs and gobs of chit chat in hopes to find the new info. Ahhh...hard to find that new info here but I guess this is what it will be.
But, that's the problem. There really IS no new info. There hasn't been for a long, long time. That's also why we changed the title to say that nobody knows anything.

When some ACTUAL news comes about, I can bet a lot that the name of the thread will be changed back to its original form and will be made official.

What's the harm in having a little Disney sepf-depricating fun? We're at least keeping the thread on topic about this restaurant, while having some fun as we wait for the real information to come about. Playing a game would really be destroying the purpose of this thread.

Again, when real info comes, I can guarantee that this thread would go straight to what you are looking for

Just in the interest of clarity, it is not quite $100 for the silverware 1 person will use.

According to DFB: "Service for four ... costs $328.54 while service for 6 is $480.18"

This means that each diner's set of flatware cost about $80-$82. Still a lot, though. Plus, it's likely that the restaurant will get some sort of wholesale discount off of the rack rate.

Actually, $82 is not correct. The "service for four" is four place settings of 4 pieces of flatware each. You'll also have an extra spoon if you have soup, a fork or spoon for dessert, another fork for salad, and a knife for butter, not included in the $82 figure. In addition, the restaurant also needs sets to set up tables while the earlier set is being washed, and pieces to replace ones damaged or lost. At the list price, for 350 place settings, we are probably looking at $4-5M in flatware. Yes, there is likely a discount, but it's still millions of dollars on flatware.

Actually, $82 is not correct. The "service for four" is four place settings of 4 pieces of flatware each. You'll also have an extra spoon if you have soup, a fork or spoon for dessert, another fork for salad, and a knife for butter, not included in the $82 figure. In addition, the restaurant also needs sets to set up tables while the earlier set is being washed, and pieces to replace ones damaged or lost. At the list price, for 350 place settings, we are probably looking at $4-5M in flatware. Yes, there is likely a discount, but it's still millions of dollars on flatware.

How are you getting $3-4M? Even if like you said they get extra forks/spoons (lets say $40 for the extras) and then they double the total seats to 700 that is only $84,000. To hit $3M, they would need to get 25,000 total seats worth of 6 pieces of silverware....

Once one blog posts a rumoured date, they all copy within hours. I'm almost positive they are all either copying from each other or taking the "next month" comment from the article posted.

As for the flatware, I don't see the big deal. It's really not that expensive when you start looking at quality flatware, which is needed in a high use area like a restaurant. I would not read anything at all into a correlation between the flatware price and it being a 2 credit restaurants. I would actually be really surprised if it's not 1 credit.

And finally, what gets me the most about this whole wait, is shouldn't we be seeing menus if we are a month or less away from opening? They would have to have that finalized long before a month pre-opening.
I agree with all of this. I think it’s rather odd the menu has not been released yet. The delays are allegedly due to construction and the need to special order the glass. So why not release the menu? Unless their Comms department is waiting for a certain opening date to announce opening date and menu?

How are you getting $3-4M? Even if like you said they get extra forks/spoons (lets say $40 for the extras) and then they double the total seats to 700 that is only $84,000. To hit $3M, they would need to get 25,000 total seats worth of 6 pieces of silverware....

You are correct. I'm off by a factor of 100.

I'd guess a split structure like Topolino's Terrace at Riviera. Breakfast is a one credit character dining experience and dinner is signature. Think Space is supposed to offer breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wouldn't surprise me if they copied this formula from Topolino's. BOG is also split but CS for breakfast and lunch with signature dinner. Once WDW hits upon a formula that they think works, they tend to open new venues using the same template.

I agree with all of this. I think it’s rather odd the menu has not been released yet. The delays are allegedly due to construction and the need to special order the glass. So why not release the menu? Unless their Comms department is waiting for a certain opening date to announce opening date and menu?

They'd also replaced the executive chef fairly recently, right? If they are starting menu planning and dishes from scratch, that can take a while.

They'd also replaced the executive chef fairly recently, right? If they are starting menu planning and dishes from scratch, that can take a while.

I missed that bit of news, but it would certainly explain a delay in finalizing the menu. Or maybe the powers that be are just trying to drive us all crazy. :hyper:

I don't believe this has been shared here yet....

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/03/space-220-restaurant-epcot-opening-tm1/
Not sure it's really anything new but at least it's kinda, sorta information!

I saw that last night and had that same "kinda/sorta" response. Like it's probably in April, but who knows when in April. It's certainly not winter; however, I see the Disney page now just says "Coming Soon!" Now intentionally vague because even they don't know what could cause the next delay.

Math aside, the pricing listed on DFB is retail pricing. Disney would be buying in bulk at wholesale pricing, which is probably somewhere around half the price of retail.

There are probably some highly creative menu items they don't want copied before the restaurant is able to have first dibs on internet exposure.

I believe it was in December though, so they have had months to finalize a menu now.
Exactly. They did replace the Executive Chef, but it's been months. I know nothing about running a restaurant, but wouldn't 3 months be enough time to get the executive chef officially announced and the menu finalized? They announced they were looking for a new chef on November 5th. The position was advertised and shortly after it was advertised, it said they weren't accepting any more applications. Then, they posted additional positions - for sous chef, etc.

Here is an article that has a LOT of speculation about the chef and menu. They believe they know who the new Executive Chef is, and they have posted recent menus of the restaurants that this chef recently oversaw. The menus from his previous position are super boring, very standard stuff, nothing inventive, just regular sandwiches, pasta, steak, salmon, etc., although it certainly could have been what was dictated in the previous position by the owners, which is why it would be great to finally have a real menu for Space 220.
https://mickeyblog.com/2020/02/08/e...chef-hired-ties-trumps-mar-lago-four-seasons/
Anyway, I still find it somewhat strange that if it's just a construction delay, why not announce the chef and the menu? Unless it's still so unclear when it will open that they need to have a certain opening date before they provide an announcement. They may want to use the opening date as an opportunity to make a big announcement with the menu, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter