Spirit Airlines Says: "Don't Fly With Us"

O'Leary is the CEO of Ryan Air. The person in the video looks like O'Leary. He likes to get publicity by saying outrageous things. I guess he considers himself a comedian. Others consider him a buffoon.

His theory is to give away the seats. Europe lets him charge a fuel surcharge. There is a ticketing fee. Higher if you call to book. Lower if you book on line and a little lower if you go to the airport to buy your ticket. In any case the fee won't be zero. Extract as much fees as possible. Next step is sell. You're in the air. You can't leave. Sell everything. Time share presentations. Ads in the plan. You get the picture.

Ryan Air is considering starting an airline for transatlantic travel. DIS is a family board. I won't post details or even provide a link. You can do a search and see what kind of amenities he's suggesting his first class passengers will receive.

I personally do NOT want to check any bags because I have had my luggage lost in the past. I want to keep all my belongings with me and get in and out of the airport as soon as possible.

I personally do NOT want to check any bags because I have had my luggage lost in the past. I want to keep all my belongings with me and get in and out of the airport as soon as possible.

Spirit seems to think passengers that want that convenience should be willing to pay a small premium. $25 to check a bag or $30 to use the overhead bin.

Lewisc said:
Kay--If you have a couple of minutes start to make a R/T reservation for a flight after August 1.
My computer's acting up, so it'll take more than a couple of minutes :teeth: but...
Flights selected BOS-MCO depart 9/25 return 10/2, as before. Prices in parentheses are for $9 Club members:
Three departing flights @ $84.56 ($75.56) each, one @ $124.56 ($115.26)

I select the most convenient of the three lower-priced flights. It departs Boston at 4:35 PM, change planes in ACY, hour and 25 minute layover, arrive MCO 8:55. (one of the other same-price flights leaves BOS at 5:37 AM :scared1:, and both take eight hours or more for a three hour trip).

Directly below the 'departing flights', where one would normally expect to find the 'return flights', instead there are two good-sized boxes complete with pictures, informing customers of both Spirit's Big Seats and Spirit's "travel light and save $$$!" feature. It VERY clearly - i.e. in an easy-to-read, normal size font - states:

For travel August 1 and beyond, Spirit Airlines
has introduced new bag fees.
It's simple. Bring Less. Pay Less.
  • Personal Item (Purse, Briefcase, etc.) - Free
  • Carry-On including priority boarding - From $20*
  • Checked Bags, up to 5 per person - From $15*
*$9 Fare Club nember fees are shown. [link provided for more details]

Return flight, same conditions - three flights @ $84.56 ($75.56) each, one @ $124.56 ($115.26). I choose the 8:30 AM departure, changing planes in ACY with a two hour layover, arriving home about 12:30 - not because I like the hours so much as it's the best value for that money. It's the shortest total travel time.

Okay, I've just gotten my third error. I'm quitting for tonight - yes, before I can get the total price or see where the ticket order screen informs me of the luggage fees during my purchase. I'll finish tomorrow.

Do you think the luggage information is clear?

So far, absolutely!

====

=lugnut33I went through and read it when it first came out. I can figure it out. Still doesn't make it right. Ever tried running something through a governement beauracracy? Sure, it's all spelled out for you in black and white, but that doesn't make one feel any better about doing it
:confused3 What's to figure out? It's all explained very clearly so far, right on this site in at least two commonly used areas of the property. And it's not government beaureaucracy in any form.

Kay--Thanks for confirming my observation. Spirit has gone out of their way to make sure all customers have a chance to see the new fees before they book. It's almost impossible to miss. Some people may not bother to look at it but I don't Spirit can do anything to make it more visible.

Spirit is very clear as to it's charges/fees. If someone doesn't want to pay those fees, then they will book with another airline.
For those who want to check a bag, it's cheaper to do that than it is to use a carryon bag.....at least for those in the $9 Fare Club. Personally? I like that. If you don't want to check bags, fine. But realize that it will cost you a bit more to carryon on that bag.
Is it fair of Spirit to do this? Of course it is. It's their business. I've already gone on record as feeling that anything that doesn't fit under your seat gets charged for. I wouldn't have an issue if all the airlines did that. Of course, I would expect them to keep fares at a better price if they are going to charge for all those bags.
Don't like the baggage fees? Fine. You need to accept the fact that fares will increase. The airlines are going to get their money in some fashion. We are seeing even SW raising fares. People are complaining about the fares they are seeing. But, SW has to be profitable too. They don't charge for bags, so they raise the fares....makes perfect sense.
Do I wish I could find those wonderful $69 fares with JB or SW? Sure I do. But, folks...I think they are a thing of the past. I'm happy with fares of $130 now..each way...and that's sad. Anything under $250??? I've died and gone to heaven.

Regular passengers will pay $25 to check their first and second bag. They will pay $30 for a bin bag (paid online/phone/checkin) Spirit will charge $45 for a bag that you bring to the gate without first paying. The $45 charge is the same if the bag goes in the bin or is gate checked.

People who want the convenience of a bin bag will pay a few extra dollars.

Spirit is lowering the maximum size of a bin bag. A bag that only fits lengthwise is now over the maximum.

For those who want to check a bag, it's cheaper to do that than it is to use a carryon bag.....at least for those in the $9 Fare Club. Personally? I like that. If you don't want to check bags, fine. But realize that it will cost you a bit more to carryon on that bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter