Spirit Airlines Says: "Don't Fly With Us"

Many people are loyal to certain companies even if that means paying more. Not just airfare but lots of products from laundry detergent to hotels, rental cars, etc.
Heck, I had male coworkers who refused to drink Pepsi b/c some NASCAR driver endorses it. :rolleyes1
Whatever works for you. :goodvibes

Agreed. A lot of people are loyal to SW. No change fee. A lot of people are loyal to a legacy airline. Frequent flier program. Elite status. Some people are loyal to Jet Blue. They like the in flight entertainment. Other people are loyal because they had a favorable experience.

Spirit believes their passengers have no loyalty and book based on price. Their CEO has said as much. Factors such as flight times to a much lesser extent. That passenger is being intelligent if they include the cost of the fee in their analysis and stubborn if they refuse to consider Spirit.

I'm not going to take the time to search but I'm sure there were similar discussions when Spirit started to charge for the first checked bag.

This may be a plus for some passengers. Right now many passengers see the need to bring large carryon bags to avoid paying to check a bag. Hastle with security. Hastle rolling the gag. Hastle getting the heavy bag in the bin. Passengers will pay $15 or $25 to check a bag. Some of that money will be offset by either lower fares or at least fares lower then they otherwise would have been.

Add me to the group that think excise taxes should apply. Spirit's fees are now replacing part of the airfare. I suspect most passengers will be paying to either check or carryon a bag. That cost, as a percentage of the fare, may be high on some promotional fares.

Ryan air limits passengers to one carryon bag. Your pocketbook, camera, laptop etc must fit within that bag. The maximum weight is 10kg (around 22 lbs).

Some people are wondering if Spirit might start charging for bags placed under your seat. Probably not but they could impose a weight restriction.

Airlines used to have coat closets. There isn't any reason why an airline has to have overhead bins. Certainly there isn't any reason why use of such has to be free. There are safety issues with overhead bins being overloaded.

I don't see the government issuing regulations.
edited to add I don't know what Spirit is intentions are with regards to passengers sitting in a bulkhead seat. An exception might be granted to those passengers but only for a bag small enought to fit under a seat.

Keep adding on fees and you'll see the outrage increase.

But as I said before, these fees are a drop in the bucket compared to the gargantuan total in untaxed fees airlines have collected already and will continue to collect. Your argument seems disingenuous here - it seems to me you you aren't angry about the taxes, you're angry about the added fees. The taxes are a convenient hook to hang a little anger on.

But as I said before, these fees are a drop in the bucket compared to the gargantuan total in untaxed fees airlines have collected already and will continue to collect. Your argument seems disingenuous here - it seems to me you you aren't angry about the taxes, you're angry about the added fees. The taxes are a convenient hook to hang a little anger on.

And these add-on fees are a convenient hook to hang revenue enhancers on. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And these add-on fees are a convenient hook to hang revenue enhancers on. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Absolutely. However it's harder for a politician to raise taxes then it is for Spirit Airlines to add new fees. Your point is valid.

Spirit is talking about $30 airfares. They have a $25 fees to check a bag and a $45 fee for bag that's gate checked or bin stowed (but paid at the gate).

Makes no sense to let an airline structure their fare so only a percentage of the fare is taxed. Less of an issue when it cost $15 to check a bag and the fare is $150.

kaytieeldr: is it possible you're shooting yourself in the foot now, by boycotting Spirit based simply on their decision to charge for carry-on luggage in the overhead bins? Are you sure that now Southwest will always be cheaper for her, or will you have her on SW flights merely as a matter of principle?

Respectfully, no, don't feel this way at all. I NEVER said SWA will always be cheaper ? I even went as far to say I'm willing to pay a bit more to fly SWA over Spirit based both on the fact of the principle of the matter AND for the more superior customer service and policies (such as rebooking/cancellations). Yes....being able to have a carry on free of charge plays into this a bit. I'm just looking at the whole picture with both airlines.

Simply put, I ALWAYS preferred SWA over Spirit based on the reasons I've posted numerous times here on this thread. But I was always open to Spirit for those "just in case" moments. I am now less inclined to patron Spirit. I was never a huge fan of the airline and now I am even less so. Spirit would have to drop their fares dirt low for me to get interested. And out of ACY it's never been like that.

And as also stated earlier.....people boycott things for all sorts of reasons. I boycott food items based on certain ingredients used to prepare them, I boycott the gas station closest to my home and drive 4-5 min further down the road to get the same gas for less money. It's a consumer's right and often duty I feel. It's not for everyone and that is fine. It's not always easy to stand up for one's belief. Particularly in a tough economy so I can understand some still giving Spirit their business if that is what makes sense for their budget. I'm not asking anyone else to follow in my footsteps. I'm not preaching people should follow me to SW or Airtran or wherever. Everyone make their own decisions on this matter. I'll respect yours and hoping others will respect and try to understand mine. For me, it is an INTELLIGENT and reasonable decision.

But I feel Spirit needs my business more than I need them right now. I will not just lay down and accept ridiculous trumped-up fees for the right to have a carry on that is for an imaginary crisis. As it was, I had to drive a bit further to use Spirit. I would now feel almost gullible going that extra drive with this new carry on fee imposition. Sorry....it's the way I feel.

Not sure why it's so difficult for some to see the stance I'm taking here. SWA has always provided the better service and policies and has not instilled a carry on bag fee.

Thanks,
Maria

Plus, simply because the airlines aren't paying excise taxes on the fees doesn't mean they're not paying income taxes.

Any and all fees charged still produce income and as such are still subject to taxation. If there really were a problem with the government getting its fair share, the IRS would have stepped in months ago.

MiaSRN32 said:
Simply put, I ALWAYS preferred SWA over Spirit based on the reasons I've posted numerous times here on this thread.
Oh. I must be confusing you with someone else. Somebody in this thread has a child in college in Florida, who I thought always used Spirit to travel between school and home (in the northeast) but would be stopping because she doesn't check luggage and the DISer doesn't like Spirit's new policy.

Somebody in this thread has a child in college in Florida, who I thought always used Spirit to travel between school and home (in the northeast) but would be stopping because she doesn't check luggage and the DISer doesn't like Spirit's new policy.
Close...yes.....that's me. But we didn't "always" use Spirit.
Copied and pasted my original post :

MiaSRN62 :They lost me as a customer......just another way to get more fees as far as I'm concerned from a budget airline.

I think if some feel this fee is not any big issue, more power to them. My daughter is a frequent flyer due to being an FSU student and flying back and forth to PA. She ALWAYS just brings an airport approved carry on to avoid wasting the extra time waiting in line to check a bag. It would never fit under the seat----though it fits quite easily in overhead bin. So Spirit will never work for us because on top of HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of dollars we spend on airfare per year, I refuse to pay an extra $45 to store her legal carryon luggage. What are the overhead bins for then if not for the airport approved overhead luggage ? Good bye to Spirit...........won't lose any sleep over this one though. I wish them luck with their extra revenue. Just won't be getting it from us.

I just heard about this on The Today Show this morning and even Matt Lauer was shocked

I can totally see how you could be confused kaytieeldr. When I said my daughter is a "frequent flyer", I didn't necessarily mean with Spirit. She's flown Spirit, Delta, SW..........but mostly SW.

Sorry for any confusion..........
Maria

People who get this wrong are just plain dumb!!!! It's so easy:

Terms and Conditions
* PENNY PLUS fares are exclusive to Spirit’s $9 Fare Club members. Fares are each way based on roundtrip purchase, and roundtrip travel is required, but these fares may be combined with other valid and applicable Spirit Airlines fares on other dates of travel. To obtain these fares you must be a member of the Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club and logged in to your account-- if not already enrolled, please go to www.spiritair.com for details on how to become a member of the Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club. Not all markets are operated on a daily basis during the travel period, or necessarily for the entire travel period -- please see spiritair.com for details. All fares include a Passenger Usage Fee of $8.00 per passenger per direction. For travel prior to August 1, 2010, all customers are allowed one free carry-on bag. Fees for bags paid in advance online at www.spiritair.com are $19 each way for the first bag only. The fee for Bag 2 is $25 each way, and items 3 thru 5 are $100.00 per item each way. When paying at the airport, fees for the first and second bags are $25 per bag each way. For travel on or after August 1, 2010, all customers are allowed one free personal carry-on item. 1st and 2nd domestic checked bags are $15 at spiritair.com for Spirit $9 Fare Club members; $25 without membership. 1st and 2nd international checked bags are $20 at spiritair.com for Spirit $9 Fare Club members; $30 without membership. Carry-on bag is $20 with $9 Fare Club membership; $30 without membership. There is no charge to check wheelchairs, strollers, car seats, or other assistive devices. Items that are overweight or oversized will continue to be weighed and sized at the airport, and fees collected when checking in. Golf club and boxes/containers are acceptable and can be prepaid online provided they meet weight and or size restrictions. Additional bags can be pre-purchased at any time provided inventory is available. (No less than one (1) hour prior to departure). All checked baggage fees are non-refundable. Customers involved in a stop-over flight that involves a connection of over 4 hours will be charged based on point to point travel. All fares listed on spiritair.com are per customer for each way of travel and include the base fare plus a federal excise tax and all fuel surcharges. Fares do not include (a) a segment tax of $3.70 per U.S. domestic flight segment (a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing) of a passenger’s itinerary; (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport charges; or (c) a September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport. International itineraries do not include governmental taxes and fees (including U.S. government excise tax) of up to $125 per round trip. Additionally, if sold in, or travel originates in a country outside of the U.S., additional taxes may apply (up to 22% of the fare value per country). Fares are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or on all days, and will be highly restricted around certain holiday periods. Previously purchased tickets may not be exchanged for these new sale fares. Certain restrictions apply. For best results, please book early.

**U.S. Gulf Coast Jet A Fuel Price According To the U.S. Energy Information Agency @ eia.gov. Last updated on April 1, 2010, using prices as of March 30, 2010. Assumes Spirit Airbus A319 @ 80% load factor.

*** Click here for the full $9 Fare Club terms and conditions.

Privacy is a concern for Spirit Airlines and we will not send unsolicited emails. This is sale information which you opted to receive when you requested a subscription to Spirit Airlines specials. You are currently subscribed to receive information from Spirit Airlines atYou may unsubscribe or update your email address at anytime.

© 2010 Spirit Airlines
Spirit Airlines, 2800 Executive Way, Miramar, FL 33025

All airlines have similar verbiage. All required fees are disclosed prior to purchasing your tickets. Optional fees such as the fee for luggage isn't included in the fare.

Start to make a reservation. Fees for luggage are clearly shown on the screen. Right in the middle. After the section where you select your outgoing flight and before the section where you select your return flight.

Take a look.

People who get that wrong are either dumb or lazy.

I'll give Spirit credit. The new fees for luggage aren't in the small print. They're listed in big print. Complete with a picture. It starts with:

Travel light and save $$$

All airlines have similar verbiage. All required fees are disclosed prior to purchasing your tickets. Optional fees such as the fee for luggage isn't included in the fare.

Start to make a reservation. Fees for luggage are clearly shown on the screen. Right in the middle. After the section where you select your outgoing flight and before the section where you select your return flight.

Take a look.

People who get that wrong are either dumb or lazy.

I'll give Spirit credit. The new fees for luggage aren't in the small print. They're listed in big print. Complete with a picture. It starts with:

Travel light and save $$$

At the bottom of the "crisis" email I got from them it was in about 3 size font.

I would like to point out once again that any airline that charges any fee for anything, separate from the airfare, is NOT cheating the government out of taxes. They are simply not paying excise tax on something which is not subject to excise tax. Fees are still revenue; they still pay taxes on THAT.

At the bottom of the "crisis" email I got from them it was in about 3 size font.
MOST passengers and potential passengers are using Spirit's website as their source for information. They're not relying on an apparent form e-mail generated in response to consumer outrage (however misplaced ;). The font size of the fine print - and any reasonable person would know to read the fine print - on said e-mail matters not a whit to a website user. That the information about the luggage and other fees is not hidden away on the website is commendable.

Still won't entice me to use Spirit unless I were flying between Boston and Atlantic City - but I don't feel they deserve the nasty publicity and the treatment they've been getting. Don't like the fees? Don't fly 'em.

Kay--If you have a couple of minutes start to make a R/T reservation for a flight after August 1.

Do you think the luggage information is clear?

Kay--If you have a couple of minutes start to make a R/T reservation for a flight after August 1.

Do you think the luggage information is clear?

I went through and read it when it first came out. I can figure it out. Still doesn't make it right. Ever tried running something through a governement beauracracy? Sure, it's all spelled out for you in black and white, but that doesn't make one feel any better about doing it.

You posted the "fine print" but intentionally omitted the big print where Spirit clearly and in large print lists the new fees.

I went through and read it when it first came out. I can figure it out. Still doesn't make it right. Ever tried running something through a governement beauracracy? Sure, it's all spelled out for you in black and white, but that doesn't make one feel any better about doing it.

You don't like the new fee. I get it. Some people thought Spirit might hide the fee and spring it on passengers when they get to the airport. Spirit is providing notice.

A person would have to be dumb or lazy not to see the disclosure on the baggage policy before they book their flight.

My preference would be a fare that includes one checked bag. However the American public spoke. Airlines discovered passengers prefer to pay to check bags rather then equivalent fare increases.

It was obvious to some of us that charging for bin bags was the next logical step. It makes no sense to charge a passenger for a checked bag but allow that same passenger to put a bag in the bin. Spirit loses revenue in exchange for delays in boarding and safety issues.

I'm sure other airlines are waiting to see if this sticks. I'd be surprised if Spirit backs down. I'm not sure how many other airlines will follow. Airtran and Allegiant are possibilities.b

edited to add--To me the "principal" is paying for luggage. Once an airline decides to seperate the cost of transporting the passenger from the cost of transporting his luggage I don't see a distinction between charging for checked bags or large carryon bags that wind up in the bins. Not charging for bin bags slows the boarding process, and creates safety issues, to the detriment of those passengers who paid to check their bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter