Splash Mountain Characters Also Retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd316

Mouseketeer
Not that they were out much anyway, but with the demise of Splash Mountain is it possible we will never ever see Br'er Bear, Br'er Fox and Br'er Rabbit again?

I've seen some "rare" characters making appearances lately, but I imagine these characters are done.

The only way you'll ever see these characters is if you go to Tokyo Disneyland. Their version of Splash Mountain is staying as is and you can still buy merchandise of them there.

The main purpose of the retheme in the states is for Disney to distance themselves from the movie Splash Mountain is based on, so I doubt they'll ever appear again in DL and WDW.

It's too bad. I was hoping maybe "SotS" could have been re-done in a more respectful way. I really think it would have just needed a few tweaks--pretty important tweaks, but still! "Zip ah dee doo dah" is such an iconic song--and a good song. What will happen to it?

It's too bad. I was hoping maybe "SotS" could have been re-done in a more respectful way. I really think it would have just needed a few tweaks--pretty important tweaks, but still! "Zip ah dee doo dah" is such an iconic song--and a good song. What will happen to it?
While I don't hate the characters themselves, unfortunately that franchise when done by Disney will always be associated with bigotry. I don't see how they could salvage it at all. I agree it is a pretty iconic song, I always used to sing it when I was super happy when I was younger. Now that I know it's stains I figure it's better to let it go~

Song of the South will offend people who want to be offended. It's a shame, though, because James Baskett (Uncle Remus) was given an honorary Academy Award for his performance.

6ce80ec0d8e568e798e4fa37bb55e260.jpg

He was the first African-American male to win the award. Ignoring Song of the South diminishes and ignores his historic achievement.

Song of the South will offend people who want to be offended. It's a shame, though, because James Baskett (Uncle Remus) was given an honorary Academy Award for his performance.

He was the first African-American male to win the award. Ignoring Song of the South diminishes and ignores his historic achievement.

Ah yeah, the historic achievement of when he wasn't allowed to go to the premier because of segregation. Such an important moment in history indeed.

Ah yeah, the historic achievement of when he wasn't allowed to go to the premier because of segregation. Such an important moment in history indeed.

These are both good points. The thing is that there were good things about the production and also problematic things. It shouldn't have to be treated as all or nothing, but sadly, that's the only way people want to see anything anymore. Discussion and thought can be a good thing!

The song's roots are just as problematic as the movie.

I feel a bit bad for poor Brer. As far as I know he himself has never said or done anything racist; it is just his misfortune to have a character tell his story in a movie that is now considered offensive.

You know what else is really "problematic"? The Hall of Presidents...but we're not screaming to get rid of that...just saying you can tie anything into something that can be construed as problematic. Maybe it's better not to feel so angry and offended about everything you're told to...at least come up with those feelings yourselves and don't let Twitter tell you what you should be outraged about.

You know what else is really "problematic"? The Hall of Presidents...but we're not screaming to get rid of that...just saying you can tie anything into something that can be construed as problematic. Maybe it's better not to feel so angry and offended about everything you're told to...at least come up with those feelings yourselves and don't let Twitter tell you what you should be outraged about.
Indeed. Thomas Jefferson owned hundreds of slaves and never freed any of them, while Brer Rabbit owned zero slaves. And which animatronic are they taking away?

Joel Chandler Harris, who wrote the stories, supported reconciliation post Civil War according to Wikipedia. Disney, in my opinion, looked at the technology of making James Baskett walk from black and white to color with the animation, with the folklore providing a world of wonder at a dark time in history. The three vignettes tell a stories from a folklore tradition. Could there have been a different treatment to Harris's stories, that would allow the folklore to stand on its own? Sure. But we will never know, as the characters like Brer Rabbit are now as tarnished as the treatment of people post Civil War. Yes, the characters are gone for good. as are Zip and Laughing Place and briar patches. Bobby Driscoll starred, and died at 31, gone too soon. I would love to see the same folklore fables treated differently and brought forth again, for the morals are still valid today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter