Split Stay Question

FairyGodmother00

Earning My Ears
We are considering a split stay either the last week of February or first week of March 2025. We will have two rooms. I have never done a split stay and my adult kids and their toddler have never been to WDW.

While looking at Disney's website, it appears that this has to be two separate reservations. If this is true, then it looks like I would have to purchase travel protection twice. This does NOT make me happy. Could someone tell me if this is how it works?

Thank you

Disney does not use the term split stay. It is just a term we use. You might want to reconsider a split stay.

Yes you will have (2) separate packages if you chose 2 resort stays or maybe a package and a Room Only booking. Do you have Flights as part of your package? What about park tickets?

We need a few more details to offer you the best response.

Dave

My apologies. I am only using the term here as I have seen it used before on these forums. Why should I reconsider this in your opinion?

I will be booking our flights. Our first reservation would have the park tickets included in the pkg. The second reservation would be room only since I would have included my tickets in the first reservation.

Why should I reconsider this in your opinion?
Switching resorts part way through a trip with (2) rooms and a toddlers is not for the faint of heart. You usually spend about 6 or more hours of you visit without rooms.

Appears you resolved your concern about 2 packages and 2 trip insurance fees (optional) by clarifying that your second part of your split stay would be room only (RO).

Dave

My apologies. I am only using the term here as I have seen it used before on these forums. Why should I reconsider this in your opinion?

I will be booking our flights. Our first reservation would have the park tickets included in the pkg. The second reservation would be room only since I would have included my tickets in the first reservation.

If you purchase travel insurance directly from a provider or third-party vendor, you can insure your entire trip. You cannot add Disney travel insurance to a room-only stay, nor would you want to purchase two policies.

As PP noted, split stays are not terribly convenient, particularly with a toddler in tow. We have done them, but with longer stays. If you are only going 7 nights, consider picking one resort, settling in and enjoying that resort. Otherwise you will be spending time packing, unpacking and without a room for most of your move day.

I’ve only switched rooms/resorts when I had to. For an adults only trip it would be easier but with a toddler, not my preference. It’s amazing how long it can take to unpack, settle in, get to know where you stored everything. My preference is to do this only once if I can.

May I ask why you’d like to switch? Is visiting the second resort an option rather than moving there?

Also, depending on how many days you get on your tickets, you may reduce the number of days they are valid. E.g a 3 day ticket is only valid for 5 calendar days but a 3 day ticket purchased with a resort pkg is valid for length of stay.

Just some things to consider.

The reason I was considering a split stay was several reasons. WL for proximity to MK for 3 days, AoA also for proximity of Epcot and HS and also for the immersion of Disney. Grandson loves Cars. Also, I am trying to save a few $$$$

I hate having to pack and unpack and move in the middle of what's supposed to be an enjoyable vacation. And no matter how "easy" some people say it is, you're still looking at having to be out of one room at a certain time and the prospect of the next room not being ready when you want to get back to your room. Think of two check-in days, and all the things that could possibly go wrong with that. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that everything takes longer than you think it's going to take, even if you know what you're doing.

All good advice to think about. Now, I have to decide which resort🤣. We need two rooms because their fairy grandmother (me) wants a separate room. We plan on three days at MK, then one day for AK, and one day each for Epcot and HS

I switched rooms ONCE within a resort, just going down one floor so we could have a patio room at the Polynesian. That was a pain, because we basically had to repack everything and send everything to bell services in the morning before we left.

We had a 5 year old and a 20 month old, I would not recommend switching rooms unless absolutely necessary to anyone.

If you want 2 rooms (with real beds) I would recommend against AoA unless you're doing the Little Mermaid rooms.

I'd also check out the timing of the Princess Races in February 2025, if you'll be there during the race weekend, you want to be on the skyliner or monorail and go to one of the parks accessible with that option, because the busses into Epcot can take forever on half marathon day, at least they did this year.

Yep, for split stays, you usually need separate reservations for each part. So, yeah, you might have to get travel protection twice. It's not ideal, but some folks think it's worth it for the flexibility.

All good advice to think about. Now, I have to decide which resort🤣. We need two rooms because their fairy grandmother (me) wants a separate room. We plan on three days at MK, then one day for AK, and one day each for Epcot and HS
May I suggest two Poly DVC studios? They're large, most have connecting doors. You can Ferry or Monorail to MK. You're steps from the Epcot monorail. And bus service to HS and AK is a snap. The DVC buildings are even close to the Poly bus stop. And, best of all, it's the frickin' POLY!!!

If you purchase travel insurance directly from a provider or third-party vendor, you can insure your entire trip. You cannot add Disney travel insurance to a room-only stay, nor would you want to purchase two policies.
It'll almost certainly be cheaper too. I never purchase travel insurance direct, and get better coverage for less.

OP, I would honestly just stay put. As an organized adult who only does trips with adults, I love the convenience of Crescent Lake/monorail splits and the 2 vacations in 1 aspect. But I'm thinking about what happened last year when we somehow weren't checked in at the Poly despite doing online check in months prior. I'd planned for a down day for our transition day so we were hanging out at the GF Spa once we left YC. Occasionally the room ready text doesn't come so I check for the room number in the app. When I still didn't see one after 1pm we went to the front desk to discover the error. We went to MK for a couple hours and got the ready text at like 3:30pm. It was just me and my partner so we were fine, but having kids to keep occupied would have made that way more stressful.

May I suggest two Poly DVC studios? They're large, most have connecting doors. You can Ferry or Monorail to MK. You're steps from the Epcot monorail. And bus service to HS and AK is a snap. The DVC buildings are even close to the Poly bus stop. And, best of all, it's the frickin' POLY!!!
From what I have been told about renting DVC points is that if you have to cancel for any reason, you loose all of your money. I can't afford to do that.

I switched rooms ONCE within a resort, just going down one floor so we could have a patio room at the Polynesian. That was a pain, because we basically had to repack everything and send everything to bell services in the morning before we left.

We had a 5 year old and a 20 month old, I would not recommend switching rooms unless absolutely necessary to anyone.

If you want 2 rooms (with real beds) I would recommend against AoA unless you're doing the Little Mermaid rooms.

I'd also check out the timing of the Princess Races in February 2025, if you'll be there during the race weekend, you want to be on the skyliner or monorail and go to one of the parks accessible with that option, because the busses into Epcot can take forever on half marathon day, at least they did this year.
I have just booked the Little Mermaid rooms. I'm not wild at all about where they are located but I also understand I can't have everything either. We have just changed our dates to the last week of January. It seemed like there might be too many events going on in February for us.

I hate having to pack and unpack and move in the middle of what's supposed to be an enjoyable vacation. And no matter how "easy" some people say it is, you're still looking at having to be out of one room at a certain time and the prospect of the next room not being ready when you want to get back to your room. Think of two check-in days, and all the things that could possibly go wrong with that. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that everything takes longer than you think it's going to take, even if you know what you're doing.
I hate the thought of packing up also but I have to cut costs somewhat.

I completely understand the reasons to avoid a split stay. I don't think it's for everyone. Our family really enjoys split stays though. Even back when DS was 4. We love to splurge on the last few nights of our trip. We have a car though and I think that makes a big difference. Packing cubes helps lot. I group clothes so not everything is unpacked each time. I also have a fun plan for the day so we're not sitting around waiting on a room. water park. Explore Animal Kingdom Lodge. Create a mini-figure at the LEGO store. Always a fun plan. In 2025 you will have "free" water park tickets on your check-in day. If it's a nice day, even just an hour or two at a water park is nice. I was trying to think of a great resort for your family for the whole trip and its tough! I second the vote to rent points for the Poly DVC. We have had a great experience with owners here on the boards. Some will even refund if you are xx number of days from check-in. Poly is really convenient for both MK and Epcot. Or keep AoA for the entire trip. The four-year-old will love the theming. The fact that you are already planning and are on here means its off to a great start. Get those dates set and have fun planning!

DIL is totally in favor of a split stay. Since she is going to be doing most of the work and she understands how it works, she is all in. She has never been to DW and she is so excited. I've told her everything I know and various opinions, and she still wants to do it. I honestly think we will be ok. We will be at one of the parks as soon as we have everything packed up and wont be heading back to our room until dark or closing of the park we will be in. I also use packing cubes so I am hopeful that all will go well. Hey, if it doesn't, then lesson learned, right??

DIL is totally in favor of a split stay. Since she is going to be doing most of the work and she understands how it works, she is all in. She has never been to DW and she is so excited. I've told her everything I know and various opinions, and she still wants to do it. I honestly think we will be ok. We will be at one of the parks as soon as we have everything packed up and wont be heading back to our room until dark or closing of the park we will be in. I also use packing cubes so I am hopeful that all will go well. Hey, if it doesn't, then lesson learned, right??
I think you all have the right attitude to make it work and will have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter