Splurge thing to do in LA?

NewbieMouse

DIS Veteran
We will be coming back through LA over Christmas from December 23-28, and I was wondering if any locals had suggestions for a nice "splurge" activity that we could do as a family. It could be a meal or something else; I was just looking for something to do that might be extra special. Is there anything that you could recommend that may fit the bill? TIA!

How many are in your family and what are their ages? Will you be at DLR for any of these dates? If so, the Holiday Tour at DL is a great splurge. You might check Ticketmaster.com to see if there will be any events in L.A. during that time that would be fun for your family. Depending on which movie will be showing, an evening at the El Capitan with VIP seating (check to see when the organist will be playing) and Ghirardelli's afterward might be a fun splurge.

We are two adults and two 10-year olds. We will be at Disneyland earlier in December (8-11), and are coming back to stay in LA from the 23-28 at the end of our trip after going to San Francisco and Las Vegas. I think I've thought through those possibilities for DL already, it's more an LA area thing I'm thinking of before we head home. I'm not sure if there are nice restaurants that are 10-year old "friendly", or some other nice thing that Angelenos do at Christmas that we could try?

Not sure if this is something you'd be interested in, but my daughter and all her friends love going: The El Capitan Theater in Los Angeles. The week you're there I've heard they will be having Into The Woods playing. If you're not familiar with the theater, it's a wonderful time. So much more than a regular movie theater.

There are quite a few Christmas Boat Parades all through December, not sure of the dates, but you could do a search for boat parades in Naples, King Harbor, Marina Del Rey, Long Beach Shoreline Marina, and LA Harbor. (there are more, just can't recall).

Another really pretty adventure is renting a gondola on Naples Island to view the Christmas lights...soooo pretty!!

Hope you find something wonderful :)

Is there an American Girl store near you? If not, your girls might enjoy visiting the AG store at the Grove shopping Center. The Grove is not far from the El Capitan and is right next door to the Farmers Market. The Grove will still be fully decorated for the holidays and there are many places to eat there. Also, the AG store does lunch and afternoon tea (perhaps a holiday tea by the time your dates arrive -- I know they do a brunch with Santa). Call the store to make reservations if you are interested.

Great idea! We are staying near the Grove, and I didn't know they did an afternoon tea.

There are some good ideas already listed. (If you do go to the El Cap, go across the street to Hollywood & Highland to Sweet! It's a HUGE candy store that my kiddos adore.)

Just in case you're theater fans, Wicked will be playing at the Pantages, a beautiful theater in Hollywood (also not far from the Grove): http://hollywoodpantages.com/showinfo.php?id=35

My kids are 8 and 11, and we live right in this area. If I can think of anything else that stands out, I'll let you know.

Weekend Brunch at the Magic Castle in Hollywood. (Children are not allowed at other times.)

http://www.magiccastle.com/visiting/menus/brunch.cfm

The Magic Castle is a private club so you would need an invitation from a member, but many will grant you one if you contact them. This magician says he will.
http://www.johnnyacepalmer.com/pages/now_appearing.html

Or alternatively you can check the calendar to see which magicians are performing on your preferred dates and request an invitation from one of them.
In addition to the cost of food there is an admission fee which I think is something like $20.

Such fantastic ideas everyone - thank you! I am going to look into what I can fit in but this gives me tons to work with and I appreciate it.

Paradise Cove is another great restaurant in Malibu. You can eat with your toes in the sand and then spend a couple of hours on the beach in their lounge chairs. That's what we'll be doing for Thanksgiving dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter