Sports Betting

Fair enough. I just believe we should have less government regulations not more. I just think with the upcoming collapse of Cable TV and regional sports channels that sports teams are going to have to make that revenue up somehow. Sports gambling is a huge untapped revenue stream that they can't ignore.
I understand wanting less government interference when people are free to choose what they spend money on, but not with gambling. It's an addictive habit that companies use to exploit people with less money. Like anything else, it can be done well in moderation, but when companies are actively advertising gambling to kids that is a step too far.

It is. College students already get high and drink, why do we need to give them ANOTHER vice, especially one that most of them cannot afford. I try and talk to them about the dangers of gambling, but I'm just the fuddy duddy with the elbow patches, what do I know?
But you're blue and wear goggles! Doesn't that make you cool enough?

Seriously, though, as having once had a disastrous relationship with a so-called (by him) degenerate gambler, gambling as a hobby seems like a terrible idea to me. And that's putting it mildly.

But you're blue and wear goggles! Doesn't that make you cool enough?

Seriously, though, as having once had a disastrous relationship with a so-called (by him) degenerate gambler, gambling as a hobby seems like a terrible idea to me. And that's putting it mildly.
My students do think I'm one of the cooler profs because I like pot and I'll try to capitalise on that to warn them about gambling. They are too young to start such a horrible habit. I've seen it ruin so many lives. I have (and love) my vices, but that's NOT one of them.

I download the TwinSpires app a few days before the Kentucky Derby. I deposit money and then places bets for the Ketucky Oaks and all of the races the day of Derby. Then I will place a bet for the Preakness and Belmont. The app gets deleted after that until the next year.

I mainly play fantasy football or golf.
Probabbly about $30 a week. I go into only big pools where payouts are usually $200K to $1M+.
I am an analyst and have models built for both sports.
I've done okay probably spend couple hundred a year, but I have been in top 100 many times, though only hit over $300 once. Still I figure it a hell of a lot better than playing lotto. Was really close in one golf outing and my last two guys both fell out of top five in last nine holes. Might have won that one.
Golf is easier to analyze because certain golfer play certain courses and geo locations better than others. You also have to monitor the weather because Thursdays and Friday tee times are set in advance so you need to make sure weather might not effect the golfer.

Last edited:
Generally I dont bet on sports. If I do, it's purely for entertainment. The big sports books on the vegas strip can get pretty rowdy during big sporting events like March Madness and such when they have all the games on the big jumbo tron. The house is packed and after a couple drinks you can easily get sucked in for some silly bets.

The thrill of the game and the uncertainty of the outcome can make it a nerve-wracking experience. Over time, I've learned to do thorough research before placing bets and to set a budget to keep the stress in check.

For my betting, I use https://www.socialtoto.club because it offers a user-friendly interface and reliable odds. It's important to find a platform that's easy to navigate and trustworthy, which helps in making informed decisions and managing the stress of betting.

Last edited:
Lots of random things can impact the outcome of any sport. The 'house' has their own set of experts who set the odds with the intent they come out ahead in the long run. Times I have been in Vegas see quite a few people sitting in those sports book areas. Never quite sure what they are watching/doing, maybe they like the comfortable chairs.

Hey @Dead2009, Welcome to the world of sports betting! It's definitely an exciting way to add an extra thrill to watching your favorite sports. It's normal to feel a bit stressed when you're just starting out, especially when there's money on the line. The key is to start with small bets and focus on enjoying the experience rather than the outcome.
Welcome to the dis, Ruman. Enjoy your experience.

I remember my first time dipping my toes into it, and man, talk about a wild ride! The adrenaline rush when your team is winning, the nail-biting moments when it's too close to call, and the frustration when things don't go as planned - it's all part of the thrill.
But hey, don't sweat the stress too much. It's all about enjoying the game and having some fun with it, right? And if you ever want to mix things up, I've stumbled upon online slots recently and they've been a blast! Heard some good things about them, like at https://pafipdkaltara.org/. Just something to consider if you're looking for a different kind of excitement.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter