Spring Break 2009 at the Fort with TCD!

Not sure I like how open loop 600 is. It looks like one big open patch of cement and right on top the road? Disney may know how to make $$, but it's always at the consumer's expense. Hope we don't end up there in June.

I agree with you. While it might be neat to have one of the lakeside sites, I also think these could be quite unpleasant on a hot summer day. And, the roadside sites stink. Too crowded, zero privacy, and probably noisy too.

i know when i worked for disney at the disney store, "visual display" was what we used when referring to signage used for promos, sales, new merchandise, etc., also could be shelving units, display hooks,etc. just a thought that goes along with your theory, maybe they keep this heavy hardware type stuff for the trading posts in here!

when is your next trip?

Donna- Thanks for that bit of info. I think this area must be used for merchandise storage and such. In the aerial photos available on Google Earth and Microsoft Live Search, there always seem to be a number of white vans parked around the offices. This must be what they use to bring the merchandise to the trading posts. I know from speaking to a young lady at the Settlement Trading Post that the same department staffs the trading posts and the WL gift shop, so this backstage area probably services the WL gift shop as well.

My next set reservations are not until October. We generally get in about six visits a year, so I am hoping to squeeze in one more trip before summer hits- but I am not sure we can do it. The end of the year is such a busy time with kids in school, and our oldest daughter is graduating HS, and the younger ones graduating from middle school. We have tons of parties and social functions messing with our Fort plans.

When I camped next to the Mayor 2 weeks ago, the aluminum one was quite full.

LOL! :rotfl2: Does Donnie drink his Diet Coke from a can? :confused3 I thought he has one of those ancient life-time refillable mugs?

TCD

He's describing the Mich Ultra cans lol. The contents of those aren't refillable lol. Oh and not to forget the Bud Select's I borrowed from him. :cool1:

I said that I was going to finish this trip report by the end of this week, and it looks like I will. Probably tomorrow.

So, where I left off was at the golf cart return area, snooping around the back stage area.

I chatted with the castmember who asked me not to take photos of the inside the fence area about the golf cart operations at the Fort. She said they have about 300 carts. I already posted one photo of the carts stored inside the fence. There is another area, just off to the side, for storing additional carts:

FW33109709.jpg

As far as I can tell, the carts stay outside all the time. Most golf courses that I am familiar with in Florida, have storage buildings for their carts. I guess the Fort management doesn't see this as necessary. I guess the carts must be rented out most of the time.

I wonder how much money they make from golf cart rentals? They get 50 bucks a day. Say they average 250 carts out at a time. That's over 4.5 million bucks a year. These carts probably last a few years each. They probably break even on the cost of the cart within the first six months. Wow, that is a lot of profit! You would think they wouldn't want to mess up this gold mine by overpricing the rentals, but I guess they know what they're doing.

From the golf cart drop off area, we walked over to the Outpost bus stop for a ride back to the 900 loop. This is the part of the new golf cart rental procedures that I do not like. The Bike Barn is an easy walk from almost any campsite. The Outpost Depot is not. But nobody asked me.

So, we waited for our bus. The 900 loop is on the Orange bus line. The Orange Bus used to shoot right down Fort Wilderness Trail, and the 900 loop would have been the second stop. But now the Orange line goes through the cabin loops, which makes it take longer. So, when a Yellow bus pulled up, we hopped on it, and rode it out to the 1500 loop bus stop. That gave us one last chance to walk by the pool.

So, here is a photo of all the carts parked at the Outpost bus stop on the morning of 4/4, and a photo of all the folks at the bus stop. Easter was a week away, and things were definitely picking up around the Fort:

FW33109712.jpg

FW33109710.jpg

I noticed something new on the bus ride. There is a recorded announcement that states the name of each loop serviced by the bus stop. The voice sounds like the same guy who does the announcements on the monorail. That is pretty cool. This may have been going on for a while. We don't ride the buses so much.

Here we are heading back to the pool area from the 1500 loop:

FW33109713.jpg

I never noticed this sign before, and I thought for a moment that maybe some prankster had put it here next to the canal:

FW33109714.jpg

FW33109715.jpg

Why would someone on in the water need to go to the Bike Barn?

Then, I remembered, that is where the canoes and kayaks have to go. Duh!
So, the sign is supposed to be there. But, if you face this sign and look to the right, this is what sits about 30 ft. away:

FW33109716.jpg

So, I am not sure that sign is really necessary. I think folks can figure this out on their own. Oh well, nobody asked me.

Here is one of our last looks at the pool:

FW33109717.jpg

Look! The slowest painter in the world is almost done with the slide (but for some reason he moved to the other side) (maybe less wind on his cig's?)!:

FW33109718.jpg

These are my last pool photos.

Really:

FW33109719.jpg

FW33109720.jpg

Check out this guy. All of the other pool workers have had to wear hard hats and other safety gear throughout this project. Here this guy is with a giant saw, and no safety gear at all. Not even goggles. And, I think he had flip flops on:

FW33109725.jpg

Good thing I wasn't from O.S.H.A.!

Or I.N.S.!

Look, more pool gawkers!:

FW33109727.jpg

What is it with these people and their obsession with the pool construction. It's just a pool people. Why all the fascination with it? Some people.

Speaking of OCD, look at this!!!:

FW33109721.jpg

FW33109722.jpg

What do we have here?

Is that a full set of pool plans?

Sitting on the dashboard of an unattended truck?

With its windows open?

And nobody around to see a thing?

What would you do?

Well, I'm not you. I left them there. :( I am pretty sure it would be a violation of some law to take a full set of construction plans off of a contractor's dash board. And Mrs. TCD would not have been too happy to have to bail me out of the Fort stockade. In fact, I am not confident that she would have bailed me out.

If only it had been dark. ;)

Here we are heading out toward the bridge behind the Meadow trading post. The rigs on the 600 loop are very visible from here. I don't like it. They ruined a really nice view:

FW33109728.jpg

Lots of folks were fishing on this beautiful Saturday morning:

FW33109729.jpg

FW33109730.jpg

FW33109731.jpg

FW33109732.jpg

I just have a few more photos . . .

And then this report will be done!

TCD

Look, more pool gawkers!:

FW33109727.jpg

What is it with these people and their obsession with the pool construction. It's just a pool people. Why all the fascination with it? Some people.

Speaking of OCD, look at this!!!:

FW33109721.jpg

FW33109722.jpg

What do we have here?

Is that a full set of pool plans?

Sitting on the dashboard of an unattended truck?

With its windows open?

And nobody around to see a thing?

What would you do?

Well, I'm not you. I left them there. :( I am pretty sure it would be a violation of some law to take a full set of construction plans off of a contractor's dash board. And Mrs. TCD would not have been too happy to have to bail me out of the Fort stockade. In fact, I am not confident that she would have bailed me out.

If only it had been dark. ;)

:rotfl2:

Well, this has been a fun little trip report, but all good things must come to an end.

So, this is it.

The last of my photos.

And my stories.

From this trip.

As I headed over to the bridge behind the Meadow trading post, I took these last two shots:

FW33109733.jpg

FW33109734.jpg

And, then we headed over the bridge, through the Meadow trading post, and out the front door, to the 900 loop.

As we entered the loop, we ran into Stacktester (I believe that he is now to be addressed as the Mayor- but I did not know that at the time- so if there was any breach of etiquette, please forgive me Your Highness). He was looping around, and I think he was staying until Sunday or Monday.

We headed back to our site, loaded up, and we were gone.

That's it.

But I do have a few random photos that I meant to post somewhere.

These are from the Wilderness Lodge Pool. I guess pool hopping has now been criminalized again, so us FW scum can't legally go to the WL pool anymore, but it was nice while it lasted.

Here is the WL hot tub set up. They have two. But, they are both about the size of the new FW one. I think the FW is too small, but it is not like the WL folks have it much better:

33109028.jpg

Here are some general shots of the WL pool. It is pretty nice:

33109032.jpg

33109036.jpg

And, they have ducklings swimming in their pool!:

33109049.jpg

33109051.jpg

33109050.jpg

And, that is really it.

No other photos. Not even random ones.

This report is done!

So, when will I be back to the Fort?

The TCD gang are not big fans of summer camping in Florida, so we will need to go in the next few weeks, or that will be it until the Fall.

If I go, I'll be sure to take a few photos.

Until next time.

TCD is out.

:worship::worship::worship: TCD!!!

Donnie may be mayor, but you will be my write in vote for El Presidente for life!!!

Awesome as always, and I for one, would gladly pitch in a couple bucks for your next trip :D

Thank you for all your hard work detectiving ;) !!!! lol

Thanks for the report...awesome and interesting as usual. I for one would be surprised if you don't find your way back to the Fort before summer...if for no other reason than to go down that slide.

Thanks for yet another terrific trip report, TCD! :worship:

Sheesh - what will you do with all that extra storage space in your camera next time with no pool photos??

Oh wait.... Splash Zone Photos!! :thumbsup2

:flower3: Thanks for the trip report and for the great photos! Appreciate your time and effort.

why do i always get fort withdrawal after one of your reports? oh yeh, thats cause it's JUST LIKE BEING THERE!!!! Thanks for another great trip. i can't wait to get there.

Thanks for all the great trip reports!
You have given such interesting "views" of the campground, that I can't wait to search out some of the special places myself.

I don't usually post here, on account of I'm not really an outdoors camping kind of guy. (Our idea of 'roughing it' is losing the key to the mini-bar) :lmao:

But, I gotta say that this has to be the most detailed TR I've ever read.

Really informative and enjoyable. Thanks ! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter