Spring Break 2018 Dining Reviews (overall mostly positive)

Jeremy Nolen

Earning My Ears
We tried a few new places and things (well, new to US anyway) this trip. Brief reviews/comments on each follow:

New Places:

Brown Derby @ DHS - we found available mid-afternoon ADRs on the drive to Orlando and decided to give it a try. We were seated immediately at an awesome raised table overlooking the dining room. I had the Cobb Salad and split the pastrami pork belly sandwich with my brother, and didn't have enough room for the Grapefruit Cake, sadly. Food was very good (good enough to not feel overpriced, even) and service was excellent.

Tony's Town Square Restaurant @ MK - we decided to give this a try and I was pretty disappointed. We had to wait almost 30 min for a table despite ADRs. They seated my party of 5 at a tiny 4-person table. The restaurant was extremely crowded and VERY loud. Service was quick and pretty good, but the food was mediocre (I think the flatbread here is the exact same one they serve at Pinnochio Haus?) and very overpriced. Would NOT eat here again!

Spice Road Table @ Epcot WS - we got late ADRs here to watch Illuminations. We were seated immediately. Service was pretty good; food was mediocre and very overpriced (but my son tried pesto for the first time and liked it, so that was nice!) Would not eat here again.

Bon Voyage Breakfast @ Trattoria al Forno - now THIS was a dining experience! We were seated immediately at our reservation time. The food was fantastic, the service perfect, and the character interactions with Ariel/Rapunzel and Flynn/Eric were great. It felt very unhurried (we were there for about 90 min.) I highly recommend their take on eggs benedict (2 eggs poached underwater?) and we got an extra order of 'Tower of Pancakes' by accident, which was also pretty good. Would I eat here again? Hard to say - character dining isn't really worth the premium to me, personally, but my wife and kids love it and this was the best character dining experience I have had at the parks.

1900 Park Fare breakfast @ the Grand Floridian - pretty good, although I was a little disappointed when I realized it was a buffet instead of table service. I think that character dining + buffet is a bad combo as you never know when a character will show up (usually right as your kids have wandered off to get more food!) The food was OK - nowhere near as interesting as the Bon Voyage, but a wide variety of stuff and it was well prepared. Character interactions were fun (the kids had dressed up as Alice and the Hatter) and we got some good pictures. I probably wouldn't do this again, unless my family insists on meeting these specific characters again

Pirates and Pals Cruise (departs from the Contemporary) - not really a 'dining experience', but since snacks were provided I'll list it here. This was a fun diversion; the 'snacks' provided were pretty mediocre although they did have a cooler full of ice cream sandwiches and dreamsicles, which was nice. The character meets (Cpt Hook, Smee, Peter Pan) were fun and engaging and the whole thing was very well run. Getting to watch the fireworks from an ideal spot in the lake with the audio synched up was cool. Probably wouldn't do this again, maybe if there was a new fireworks show in the future.

Behind the Seeds Tour @ EPCOT's Land Pavilion - also not a dining experience (at all, really) but super interesting and informative. We had a great tour guide CM (Mike!) who was engaging and funny and both kept things moving but never made us feel rushed. The tour lasted about 75 minutes and we learned all sorts of interesting things. For $20/person this was a great use of money and time, and my understanding is that even at peak times, you can basically sign up for it same day (I'm not sure how big the groups CAN be, ours was about 20 people)

and repeats:
Sci-Fi Diner @ DHS - we got end-of-day ADRs (like 8:50PM, I was surprised they would let you make one this late!) and while the food here is overpriced, I actually thought the burger and fries my wife and I split were pretty good, and the kids' milkshakes were tasty as well. The experience of watching goofy old movie trailers and newsreels is a lot of fun for us - this is my son's favorite restaurant in WDW and it always makes me happy to see him having such a good time.

San Angel Inn @ EPCOT - we always have a light lunch and a couple of margaritas here, since my wife and I ate here on our honeymoon 15 years ago. Short wait for a table (maybe 10 min?) and we had EXCELLENT service. The guacamole and the margaritas were pretty good. I LOVE the Mexico pavilion and eating by the pyramid as boats float by and the mariachis sing in the background is one of my favorite WDW experiences.

Be Our Guest @ MK - we lucked into ADRs late and grabbed lunch here. We tried the online ordering and it was pretty painless, as opposed to waiting forever in the ordering queue which is an utterly maddening experience. It only took us about 5 min to check in and head for a table, and we lucked into a corner seat in the Beast's room. The food quality was WAY down from prior experiences here, though - the kids' grilled cheese were basic garbage made from white bread and American cheese, and my salad nicoise was frankly terrible, possibly the worst thing I ate all trip. Even the cupcake seemed cheap and shoddy. We won't be back - I thought the margarita flatbread at Pinnochio Haus was significantly better, for example, as was the food at the Columbia Harbour House.

Ohana @ the Polynesian - as I mentioned on one of the Ohana threads, we had a bad experience here in our 2016 trip and had planned on skipping it this trip, but we lucked into ADRs that fit into our schedule. Almost no wait for our table, and we had an excellent experience with good food and great service.

Trader Sam's @ the Polynesian - we didn't really eat here but we did enjoy a couple of different rum drinks. Still the best bar at WDW, although some of the folks there were HAMMERED drunk despite it only being 9PM. I guess at WDW most folks aren't driving, but that's an expensive way to get lit...

Flower and Garden Festival - I tried 1-2 items at each of the locations over three days, and for the most part I was a bit underwhelmed. A few items were pretty good but there was less 'wow' factor compared to the 2016 festival, and I'm not sure exactly why? The lines were pretty short from 11-1 but after that they got increasingly long

oh, almost forgot - we also tried the Edison @ Disney Springs on our arrival day. We walked up and got a table (this was like 5PM on Friday 3/9) - the place was basically empty of customers which was surprising. Neat venue with lots of cool details and a great theme. I found the food OK, not great, and the service was mediocre. Kind of the opposite of Toothsome @ Citiwalk, which has OK theming, but better food and fantastic service, at least the times we've been there.

Thank you for taking the time to review. Glad to hear that the Brown Derby is still good!

Enjoyed your reviews-Sci Fi is our grandson‘s favorite as well! He loves the old movie clips.

I enjoyed reading your reviews. Thanks for posting them.

We like Sci Fi a lot, too. You ordered the food that is the best there—burgers, onion rings and milkshakes. It’s worth it for the theming IMO, and it’s on the lower scale of prices compared to other Disney restaurants.

Thanks for reviewing several places I know of but never ate at and reassuring me on some favorites!:cool:

We will be eating breakfast for the first time at Trattoria al Forno and I’m so glad I found your review of it. I’m not sure how new the restaurant is but I never even knew it was a Character Dining experience until today and we’ve been going to Disney for over 15 years.

We’re always looking for new Character Dining options!

Thanks for reviewing!! We are finally trying brown derby this trip so happy to read your review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter