• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

Tried to wear my Challenge medal today, but just stepping out of the hotel room and it’s snagging my Challenge shirt. It seems mine is not smooth. I don’t know if this will be a problems with other’s medals, but at least with tech material, heads up!
I noticed this with mine as well, so I didn’t wear it with my race shirt. I decided to take my medal photos holding them instead of wearing them this time. I ruined my Princess shirt with a piece of Velcro so I wanted to be more cautious with this one.

Also, whose brilliant idea was it to put a water stop on the path between boardwalk and HS? And not only that, but on the left hand side, when anybody who was attempting to run was on the left.
I’m so glad I’m not the only one that thought this. As I (tried) to run by the first thing that came to mind was “This is the worst possible place for this.”

Has anyone been able to see their pics from the 10M? Nothing comes up for me, do you put the zero before or after your bib number?

If it’s the return of Star Wars, what will you do?
Great question, even for us less-cool-kids-who-aren't-part-of-the-UnicornSquad / (Boston Marathon).

I've already started pondering this question: What themes would sucker, I mean significantly engage me, to drop another several hundred on registration, food, merch and transportation?
1. Anything Star Wars.... I mean now that I did the StarCruiser, I think we can all agree that there are few limitations to my nerd-financial-folly. ;)
2. Most themes related to MCU (Marvel)... or anything related to Black Panther / Wakanda.
3. Anything that promotes characters of color within central thematic components.
4. An innovative use of a ride, park equipment/layout or resort area that would be incredibly unique to this event.
5. Puzzles? Scavenger hunt? That sounds fun... but that one course needs another "something cool" for me to assume the travel and registration costs.

Great question, even for us less-cool-kids-who-aren't-part-of-the-UnicornSquad / (Boston Marathon).

I've already started pondering this question: What themes would sucker, I mean significantly engage me, to drop another several hundred on registration, food, merch and transportation?
1. Anything Star Wars.... I mean now that I did the StarCruiser, I think we can all agree that there are few limitations to my nerd-financial-folly. ;)
2. Most themes related to MCU (Marvel)... or anything related to Black Panther / Wakanda.
3. Anything that promotes characters of color within central thematic components.
4. An innovative use of a ride, park equipment/layout or resort area that would be incredibly unique to this event.
5. Puzzles? Scavenger hunt? That sounds fun... but that one course needs another "something cool" for me to assume the travel and registration costs.

Make it a weekend themed entirely around Pirates of the Caribbean and wild horses couldn’t keep me away.

Im less interested in the theming and more about the race routes, so I’ll just say that if they repeated this weekends maps, I’m a lock for next year. It’s the perfect collection of non-MW routes. Of course, that goes against the idea of surprises. And… we don’t find out about the routes until we’ll after registration. That would be nice!

Anyway, Rival Run was cancelled on me so a Galaxy’s Edge race would be nice. I wouldn’t be surprised if an Epcot centered race is Guardians themed, and if they go back to AK for the 5k I’ll guess Pandora for that theme. That seems like a weird collection of themes though, and one that I’m not sure has the broadest appeal (I know SW was the least popular of the race weekends at WDW, and although I don’t have the numbers I don’t recall the Avengers races at DL being super popular).

Goofy question but have they ever done a 5k or 10k centered on MK? That would be quite a surprise but Im guessing it hasn’t happened and there’s probably a very good logistical reason for that.

Im less interested in the theming and more about the race routes, so I’ll just say that if they repeated this weekends maps, I’m a lock for next year. It’s the perfect collection of non-MW routes. Of course, that goes against the idea of surprises. And… we don’t find out about the routes until we’ll after registration. That would be nice!

Anyway, Rival Run was cancelled on me so a Galaxy’s Edge race would be nice. I wouldn’t be surprised if an Epcot centered race is Guardians themed, and if they go back to AK for the 5k I’ll guess Pandora for that theme. That seems like a weird collection of themes though, and one that I’m not sure has the broadest appeal (I know SW was the least popular of the race weekends at WDW, and although I don’t have the numbers I don’t recall the Avengers races at DL being super popular).

Goofy question but have they ever done a 5k or 10k centered on MK? That would be quite a surprise but Im guessing it hasn’t happened and there’s probably a very good logistical reason for that.
I would love a race around MK, I don't see why they couldn't. They have races that start at the TTC and races that go through MK. So why not finally combine them!

Yes, you need to put your bib in 5 digit format, so if you had bib #527, you would put 00527 for the last five digits.

Make sure you have the right code there are places in the digital event guide that had the 5k & 10m code swapped

For the 10 miler, use 2022-TZTT-10Mx-xxxx

Thank you all so much! That worked! No wonder nothing would come up not only was I putting the zeros after my number but yes, I was using the 5k code too.

I don't really care that much about the theme of the weekend, I'm more interested in unique events. It was nice to see them throw the old school runners a bone and bring back some extinct races but I really hope they use this weekend to do truly unique experiences, not just rehashes of other races with different themes. Some ideas which include some mentioned already:

The return of a night half with an Epcot after party
A backyard ultra style race inside a theme park after close
Unique distances not done other weekends
I'd love a track event complete with heats as one of the early weekend events
A biking component to the weekend
A race at a resort instead of the parks
Something on trails around property

I'm sure more creative people have other ideas.

Yes they did! The first year or two of the Wine and Dine 5k was through MK, and I did it the inaugural year. In fact, that was my first rD race ever! It started at the TTC and followed that road into the park. Since it was Halloween, the Monorail was parked outside with the Haunted Mansion music blasting, and all the characters in MK were decked out in their costumes. It was a great course, and I enjoyed it immensely. They even provided tickets to MNSSHP for that Sunday.

Yes they did! The first year or two of the Wine and Dine 5k was through MK, and I did it the inaugural year. In fact, that was my first rD race ever! It started at the TTC and followed that road into the park. Since it was Halloween, the Monorail was parked outside with the Haunted Mansion music blasting, and all the characters in MK were decked out in their costumes. It was a great course, and I enjoyed it immensely. They even provided tickets to MNSSHP for that Sunday.
Woah. I had to dig around but I think I found the map, from 2010:

2010 Mickey_s Halloween 5k Course Map.JPG

That's it! It was such a great course, and since MK was decked out in Halloween, it was so much fun. I think they only kept this course another year before moving the W&D 5k to AK. It's definitely bounced around.
I could def see this happening (assuming the logistics were doable), would definitely be a welcome surprise and likely sell out quickly, and you have a whole bunch of options for theming, including the aforementioned Pirates.

I have been so swamped with life post-race, I'm just now getting back here to GUSH...

I loooooooooved the 10-Miler! It was everything I ever wanted TOT 10m to be, but never quite delivered - until now. The attention to thematic detail made my geeky little heart so happy. NINETEEN THIRTY NINE, y'all!!! lol Really, though, the lighting and special effects, music choices, live musicians, character costumes, right down to the signage on Atlantic Dance - so well executed. The course was fantastic, too! Apart from the BW path water stop at literally the worst possible place to put one. Even with that, I didn't have any major slowdowns at any point of the course due to crowding, which was a surprise. (I started in the far back of s2, FWIW)

I brought my previous TOT 10m medals along and had a nice little photo shoot at TOT with them and the new one. That was fun!

It's hard for me to imagine how they could outdo this one, but a SW or Marvel theme could do it for me. I'm not a lock to do whatever it is next year, but it's definitely under consideration, pending theme, date, and price.

Course was great, weather was amazing for the 10 miler. Am I the only one that missed the Star Wars theme. I hope
They reconsider bringing it back.

Last edited:
Anyone else still waiting for their virtual medals? I've seen occasional postings on social media for a couple of weeks, but i'm getting impatient for DH's 5k stuff.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter