SSR Bashing & Renter Bashing - All in one thread !1

drakethib

DIS Veteran
Ok.

Time to eat some crow. Maybe not.

SSR Bashing

In the beginning I was one of the people who said SSR was big and plain IMHO.

Well the wife and baby and I just got back from a week at SSR and let me list the problems.

1. We felt cramped in the Studio (we have stayed in 1 and 2 BDR for the last couple of trips and I was a tightwad with points this time) We are spoiled but I am blaming someone else other then me. It is Disneys Fault that were are accustomed to 1 & 2 BDR's. I see a lawsuit in the future after I get done with MCDonalds for making me gain some weight. :lmao:

2. The toaster did not work. Well, it did later in the week when I figured out the dial on it. I still blame it someone else for them not providing me a manual on how to use a toaster. :lmao:

3. The equestrian theming was unexpected. I was sure from all the SSR blasting that the resort was supposed to be boring. How dare SSR staff make such a nice resort. :rotfl2:

4. The place was not 20 miles in size as I have heard and as I thought. It took an entire 5 minutes for me to get from The Carriage House to Congress Park (room 2236). I had brought my hiking boots and backpack for the journey. Plus the busses that could be ridden or the bell hops offering rides on golf carts only added to the problem.

5. The view of DTD is entirely too nice. We were forced to sit in the rocking chairs at night and look as the cool wind from the water relaxed us. Horrible I tell you.

6. The pool at congress park was just too quiet and relaxing the several times we went to it. So we had to go to the main pool and were forced to have some of the drinks from the pool bar.

7. The Turf Bar & Grill food is entirely too good. Artist point hit the spot as well.

8. SSR took my money !!!! We were having such a bad time that we went straight to the Disney Preview Center and did an SSR addon on the spot. !!! How dare they accept our money.

Anyone take that I am being sarcastic here? For those who do not like the place I say give it a chance, if you still don't like it, np, I will gladly stay there anytime. The staff was extremely nice and the landscaping has grown out making the resort very beautiful IMHO.

Renting Bashing.

I have heard several people say that their guides had mentioned they could rent their points out if they wanted and thought they were full of BS. While my guide did not say this, while we were waiting to go sign papers for our SSR, I overheard a guide telling prospective DVCers that they could rent any points that they didn't use. So I guess I will take my crow with a little salt and pepper.

Great report . I still don't get it either I love SSR and still want to try all the other DVCs .

When we get bad reviews I just look at as thats one more chance I get at a better room location. I say better because even the worse are not that bad at all.

I too was pleasantly surprised by SSR during our December stay. We didn't like it enough to buy, but I'll happily stay there again. We were also in Congress Park and I think the DTD view does it. *sigh*

:thumbsup2 Great Report! I like the spin on it:goodvibes

We always stay in Congress Park and we love the staff at SSR. They are always so helpful.

Cant wait til June!:banana:

Ok.

Time to eat some crow. Maybe not.

SSR Blasting

In the beginning I was one of the people who said SSR was big and plain IMHO.

Well the wife and baby and I just got back from a week at SSR and let me list the problems.

1. We felt cramped in the Studio (we have stayed in 1 and 2 BDR for the last couple of trips and I was a tightwad with points this time) We are spoiled but I am blaming someone else other then me. It is Disneys Fault that were are accustomed to 1 & 2 BDR's. I see a lawsuit in the future after I get done with MCDonalds for making me gain some weight. :lmao:

2. The toaster did not work. Well, it did later in the week when I figured out the dial on it. I still blame it someone else for them not providing me a manual on how to use a toaster. :lmao:

3. The equestrian theming was unexpected. I was sure from all the SSR blasting that the resort was supposed to be boring. How dare SSR staff make such a nice resort. :rotfl2:

4. The place was not 20 miles in size as I have heard and as I thought. It took an entire 5 minutes for me to get from The Carriage House to Congress Park (room 2236). I had brought my hiking boots and backpack for the journey. Plus the busses that could be ridden or the bell hops offering rides on golf carts only added to the problem.

5. The view of DTD is entirely too nice. We were forced to sit in the rocking chairs at night and look as the cool wind from the water relaxed us. Horrible I tell you.

6. The pool at congress park was just too quiet and relaxing the several times we went to it. So we had to go to the main pool and were forced to have some of the drinks from the pool bar.

7. The Turf Bar & Grill food is entirely too good. Artist point hit the spot as well.

8. SSR took my money !!!! We were having such a bad time that we went straight to the Disney Preview Center and did an SSR addon on the spot. !!! How dare they accept our money.

Anyone take that I am being sarcastic here? For those who do not like the place I say give it a chance, if you still don't like it, np, I will gladly stay there anytime. The staff was extremely nice and the landscaping has grown out making the resort very beautiful IMHO.

Renting Bashing.

I have heard several people say that their guides had mentioned they could rent their points out if they wanted and thought they were full of BS. While my guide did not say this, while we were waiting to go sign papers for our SSR, I overheard a guide telling prospective DVCers that they could rent any points that they didn't use. So I guess I will take my crow with a little salt and pepper.

Welcome to the loyal order of Dirtbags who actually like SSR!

Thanks for the humorous report!

You know, when I was small, my mom would never allow me to say that I did not like a particular food until I had at least tried a bite of it.

Should be the same with DVC resorts! Can't say you don't like it until you stay there! Sometimes I too have been pleasantly surprised when trying out new resorts. :goodvibes

Glad you had such a great trip!:)

Shan

I enjoyed your report!

We only have firsthand experience with Congress Park, and it's a place that I would GLADLY stay again. Maybe we will in June, but I do have a BWV waitlist in place. I'm also interested in staying at the Grandstand, for the evening pool activities.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I appreciate the efficiency of your bashing, thereby saving us the trouble of reading 2 threads when as you have demonstrated one will do nicely.

Nice job!

Thanks for the humorous report!

You know, when I was small, my mom would never allow me to say that I did not like a particular food until I had at least tried a bite of it.

Should be the same with DVC resorts! Can't say you don't like it until you stay there! Sometimes I too have been pleasantly surprised when trying out new resorts. :goodvibes

Glad you had such a great trip!:)

Shan
Can I say I don't like it just from the location and the looks of it? I didn't really know much about it until we went to Saratoga about a week ago for the purpose of seeing the AKV models. I have to say I really didn't like the separate building condo feel to the place and will likely never stay there. It wasn't "pretty" to me.

That's what is great about DVC though... we have such options!

As many times as it's been reported on DIS you still doubted it? wow. Next you'll realize they are not all totally truthful.

Thanks for your report. Since you love SSR so much, I vow that I will not stay there unless I absolutely have no other option because I would hate to think that me staying there is taking up a room that could otherwise be used by you. I'd hate to deprive you of an opportunity to stay there ;)

Thank you for the good report. I just purchased into DVC and have never stayed at SSR and in May it will be our first trip. Reading some of the threads I am a little worried but I figure at least give it a try and then form my opinion.

Thank you for the good report. I just purchased into DVC and have never stayed at SSR and in May it will be our first trip. Reading some of the threads I am a little worried but I figure at least give it a try and then form my opinion.

That is excellent logic! I've stayed at all of the WDW DVC resorts and though I have my preferences, it is just totally incomprehensible to me how anyone can dislike, or even hate, any of the resorts. They are all very nice places. Like I said, I can understand preferring one resort over another, but some of the reports make it sound like the poster was sentenced to hard time in iron city!

Thanks for the report! We haven't stayed at SSR yet, but definitely plan to, and I'm sure we'll love it as much as we've loved all the DVC resorts we've stayed at so far!

Ahh we forgive you, no need to eat any crow. :lmao:

All of us who really like SSR, knew that if you ever got there you would come around.

Glad you had a good time, it is very easy to like the place. :thumbsup2

Your report was a joy to read!! We too were a bit anxious when our first trip arrived. I still don't understand what the bashers are talking about. We fell in love with SSR and cannot wait to return there many many times in the future.

As many times as it's been reported on DIS you still doubted it? wow. Next you'll realize they are not all totally truthful.

Dean, I get several emails a day from someone overseas telling me that I am a relative and they need help with transferring money overseas which will make me rich.

I take things on the that I read on the internet with a grain of salt. There are many "experts" on this board that I rarely believe a word they say.

Thanks for your report. Since you love SSR so much, I vow that I will not stay there unless I absolutely have no other option because I would hate to think that me staying there is taking up a room that could otherwise be used by you. I'd hate to deprive you of an opportunity to stay there ;)

Thanks for looking out for me, Same goes for BCV as that is a last resort place for me, you can have those rooms as well. ;)

But I would like to try BWV & VWL as they look like a neat place IMHO.

While DVC does have its faults it is neat that they have something for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter