• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR or OKW for young kids?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
Which resort between the 2 would you choose for young kids? We are a group of 7 (5 adults and 2 kids - 6 & 3). We originally wanted OKW because the 2 bedroom villas are bigger, but it seems like SSR has more to offer in terms of dining and pools. My parents will be in one room, DH and I and kids will be in the other, and my brother will be on the couch. We are "cash" customers since we don't own DVC (wish we could though!!) - if that makes a difference. We aren't renting either because this is our first trip to WDW and unsure about the whole renting thing. We won't have a car, so we will be using Disney transportation - if that makes a difference too.

You should maybe rent the points. Paying cash for a 2BR villa is expensive...you can rent points for like $12/point (look into David's or TTS).

I'd say go for OKW...the size difference of the villas is really big and your brother can pull-out the chair instead of the sofa and take up less floor space (we had our teen DS on that for Xmas of 2011 and MIL and FIL were in the master and DH, twin DDs and I were in the second bedroom). If you are booking a trip for 10-11 months from now (or will be booking 10-11 months out) you should book near the hospitality house (gold color buildings on the map below) and you will be near the pool. The pool is nice and there is a boat to Downtown Disney. You will aslo be able to take the bus from the HH and that is the last stop going out to the parks (there are several bus stops throughout OKW...and SSR as well). Then, when you come in from the parks you can get off at the 1st stop (which is Penninsular Rd near building 26) because that is right next to HH as well and just a short shot to your villa (we were in building 14 and did this).

OKWMapcolor2_zps4589f895.jpg

You are correct in your summary of the benefits of these resorts - OKW gives you more living space, while SSR has better pools. We have stayed at both resorts and couldn't agree more.

The 2nd bedroom at OKW has two queen beds, which is nice if that means something to you. (The 2nd bedroom at SSR will have one queen bed and one sofa bed.) OKW also has a very nice sized balcony, with a table that seats four. SSR's balcony is much smaller, with barely enough space for a cafe table for two. OKW's main pool is very enjoyable - especially for kids your age. A sandy play area and the sandcastle waterslide, but no zero entry area at any of their pools, if I recall. Other than the main pool, I do not believe any of their other pools have any fun offerings.

SSR, on the other hand, has three pools that appeal to kids. We have enjoyed them all over the years! Lol! The new Paddock pool might appeal to you the most, as they have a water play area that is ideal for your 3 year old. Two of their four pools have a zero entry area. Will you have a stroller with you? If so, you may prefer SSR as all their buildings have elevators. You can also walk to DTD from SSR, although that doesn't appeal to everyone. You can take a boat there from SSR or OKW.

The bottom line is that you will have an amazing vacation wherever you stay! You just need to decide what your priorities are. If you have other questions about the comparisons between resorts, I'd be happy to share any of our experiences with you.

You seem to have the pros and cons of both resorts. I would choose SSR. Two themed pools and the paddock pool area has a great kids play area. Also, haing stayed on the third floor of OKW, not doing it again anytime soon. Elevators are much appreciated with tired legs and young children and strollers at the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter