St. Thomas excursion questions

foolish-mortal

Your ghost host
This will be our first time going to St. Thomas. My teens really want a picturesque beach experience. I want to make sure we have chairs, drinks, food, and bathrooms wherever we go. Would you recommend Magen's Bay? Does it have all of those things available?

If we do Magen's Bay - would you recommend going on our own or taking a DCL excursion? Besides DCL making sure you get back (we're very careful when we go off on our own) are there other reasons to do DCL?

Magen’s Bay will have the things you need.

Is it the prettiest beach? To me, no. I much preferred the views from Lindquist or Sapphire Beach or Trunk Bay on St John - and the colors of their water. Magen’s is wide, but set back from the open ocean.

Magen’s Bay. An easy day at the beach. We’ve been several times while staying in the island.

IMG_5724.jpeg

Trunk Bay, a ferry ride to a different island. We did the same ship excursion to here from two different cruise lines last fall. And I don’t try it as DIY when it’s a short day in port. The hoops to get there and timing to get the ferry are too many for a limited time.

IMG_8458.jpeg

That said, Magen’s is often listed as one of the best beaches. And it is popular.

You should be able to visit as a DIY excursion. Here are the taxi fares from the pier Disney uses to various beaches. Typically, taxis are converted pickups, “Safari taxis.”

Admission to Magen’s Bay is $5 pp (over 12).

IMG_9937.jpeg

We did Magen's. And saw sea turtles! We went through DCL. Area set up, chairs etc. Food, bar, gift shop, bathrooms. We had a great, carefree day
IMG_0440.jpegIMG_0444.jpegIMG_0451.jpeg

What a difference sunlight makes on water color. Nice set-up DCL offered.

Did you have enough time at the beach? Or would you recommend DIY for those who would like more?
We were good with the amount of time. We snorkeled, swam, had beach pizza, drinks at the bar. It was very nice. When in St. Thomas, more is always better, LOL, but this really was a good amount of time.

Thanks all! I'm very interested in Trunk Bay but wasn't sure if I should venture that far when we've never been to St. Thomas before??

Thanks all! I'm very interested in Trunk Bay but wasn't sure if I should venture that far when we've never been to St. Thomas before??
I get that. First (maybe only) visit to a location, it seems odd to not even stop to see what’s close.

While I love St John and its various beaches, I have no problem recommending Magen’s Bay. Our last week-long land vacation in St Thomas, we visited Magen’s twice. And have only visited Trunk Bay as ship shore excursions or when staying on St John.

Besides the destination, we did the Trunk Bay ship excursion because it was so easy. They had a private ferry right by the ship and delivered us to the taxi and beach once on St John. After stopping by the little concessions, we just put our bags on the sand and went in the water until it was time to shower, change, and leave. It was 90 minutes of lovely water time. For some, that wouldn’t be enough.

If you want a longer time at the beach, stay on St Thomas - and probably just catch a safari taxi from the port.

It’s hard to go wrong in the Virgin Islands.

So are we!…I guess we will find out together
Following! Please report back on your experience if you don’t mind. I have been debating between Magens and Secret Sands. Ruled out Trunk Bay because it doesn’t include beach chairs and that is a must for me, and don’t love the idea of a water ferry (my son and I get super seasick on small boats).

Any thought on Secret Sands beach getaway on St Thomas?

We spent a week in St. Thomas years ago so I’ve been to quite a few of the beaches.

I always just take a taxi because you have control over the schedule.

@auntlynne agree totally with Smith Bay (Secret Sands excursion) and Sapphire being the most picturesque.

I’ve been Trunk Bay as well but we went during our land vacay so we had as much time as we wanted. It’s beautiful there as well.

One warning is that the ferry to St. John's is a chunder express. Waters are frequently rough. So while the ferry iss easy, the ride may not be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter