Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

Yeah I wouldn’t be thrilled if I was “perfect” and didn’t get the chance at that status in year five. I think that they aren’t continuing the status shows this is a full retheme or change of the weekend.

yeah unfortunatey this doesn't sound like movies to mando but more a switch to something like Pixar.

I am still surprised as much as marvel is pushing Star Wars and marvel that they wouldn't want a race for one of them. We know WDW pretty much can't do avengers so SW is the only option here of those two. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe Marvel is about to cut a deal with universal studios for avengers rights...lol.

yeah unfortunatey this doesn't sound like movies to mando but more a switch to something like Pixar.

I am still surprised as much as marvel is pushing Star Wars and marvel that they wouldn't want a race for one of them. We know WDW pretty much can't do avengers so SW is the only option here of those two. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe Marvel is about to cut a deal with universal studios for avengers rights...lol.
RunDisney wouldn’t be the one to spill those details. That would be a major story.

RunDisney wouldn’t be the one to spill those details. That would be a major story.

Technically all they have said is there will be a new theme next year. No beans spilled.

I don't honestly think that is what is going on even though I'd love to see it. If they have to change the theme switching to marvel wouldn't be too bad but we all know that is very unlikely with current deals.

Pixar is my bet on new theme.

Technically all they have said is there will be a new theme next year. No beans spilled.

I don't honestly think that is what is going on even though I'd love to see it. If they have to change the theme switching to marvel wouldn't be too bad but we all know that is very unlikely with current deals.

Pixar is my bet on new theme.
My belief is a rotating theme.

Could be tied to flower and garden which would rotate like wine and dine. Not tying it to one franchise gives them more freedom.

Definitely possibility. With as quickly as the 2020 W&D sold out (and obviously lower capacity may be part of it) I'd still love to see a villian themed race as a regular event.

Will be interesting to see what they do. Of course gotta be able to get back to hosting in-person events before it even matters.

Why is no one talking about costumes? We were weeks away from the cancelled 2020 races so we had all of our costumes ready to go and now 2021 races are cancelled, too. I’ll still fit mine, but spent some money on it, but the kids’ have probably outgrown theirs. If there are no Star Wars races, where am I supposed to wear my Captain Phasma run costume? It’s too cold in CO to wear it for Halloween and probably not appropriate for work...... :confused3:rotfl2:

One last question (for now) - how fast have the races been selling out when they go virtual? (Specifically I'm looking at the Rival Run challenge + Kessel Run) I'm leaning seriously towards getting a refund and re-registering, but I don't want to gamble too much with getting shut out. If I recall correctly, this race stayed open for quite a while with on the original registration day.

Aw crap. Well, I paid for the Kessel Challenge and would like a refund and then just sign up for the 10k, but if this is my last chance to get a kessel challenge medal...I will have to spend the weekend thinking about it...

Aw crap. Well, I paid for the Kessel Challenge and would like a refund and then just sign up for the 10k, but if this is my last chance to get a kessel challenge medal...I will have to spend the weekend thinking about it...

I still had hope that kessell would go back to being an actual coast to coast medal. Looks like that hope is done now.

I expected 2021 to be cancelled but the possible end of Star Wars races completely makes me really sad.

Why is no one talking about costumes? We were weeks away from the cancelled 2020 races so we had all of our costumes ready to go and now 2021 races are cancelled, too. I’ll still fit mine, but spent some money on it, but the kids’ have probably outgrown theirs. If there are no Star Wars races, where am I supposed to wear my Captain Phasma run costume? It’s too cold in CO to wear it for Halloween and probably not appropriate for work...... :confused3:rotfl2:

Same here! I ordered stormtrooper leggings and a tank top for my Christmas presents. I’m so sad now. I could handle the weekend being canceled but the fact that Star Wars weekend is possibly canceled forever??? Ugh!!!!!!!! :badpc:

One last question (for now) - how fast have the races been selling out when they go virtual? (Specifically I'm looking at the Rival Run challenge + Kessel Run) I'm leaning seriously towards getting a refund and re-registering, but I don't want to gamble too much with getting shut out. If I recall correctly, this race stayed open for quite a while with on the original registration day.

This is my same question! We’re registered for the Kessel but want to add the 10K. It makes more sense to Re-register but I don’t want to request a refund and then miss out on getting into the virtual challenge altogether.

I was signed up for the challenge and my husband was in for the 10k. We opted for the $500 refund. I'm already dreading my virtual half for marathon weekend, I don't want to add a second one. Especially when I am not very interested in the medals or shirts (well I do kinda like the 10k medal....).

I’ll be taking the refund. I ran the inaugural SWDS weekend, so I have what I consider the best set of Star Wars medals from the WDW races. With those in hand, next year’s medals aren’t compelling enough for me to go virtual.

I haven’t made a final decision on the trip itself, though. I desperately feel the need for a Disney trip. This year will be the first missed Marathon Weekend since I started running and that hurts. It was enough for me to go virtual Dopey to at least feel like I was there for the weekend in spirit. It’s hard to justify the cost, though, with so many of my favorite experiences and restaurants closed. Hopefully some of them will return as we get closer to April and it will be worthwhile to keep the trip.

My bib was through a ta and my first time using a ta for a bib. I just told them to cancel the whole trip.

i feel bad. The ta is a friend and this is now Multiple times I’ve had to have them reschedule or cancel trips for me vs actually going In the past year starting with Star Wars last year. I hate they have had to do work for me without getting anything from it. At least I am going in Jan so they’ll get some from that.

I just feel bad that most of what I’m asking my ta for is cancel or reschedule.

so after my Jan trip for the first time in forever I’ll have zero upcoming rundisney races or trips planned.

Why create new designs when nobody got the current designs? If they hadd been handedd out even as a virtual I'd agree but nobody got these designs so I think using the same design makes sense.
mostly because the designs, in my opinion, were awful... i only liked the Chewie virtual half, and they ruined the Kessel challenge medal. just my opinion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter