Staying Offsite FastPass Booking Impact

DisneySince1967

Earning My Ears
My DH will be working remotely through part of our 10 night stay at WDW. Consequently, we need a 1 bedroom suite with extended stay features and support for this visit. Previously, we have stayed on-site. Not being DVC members, the cost of renting a 1-bedroom WDW villa is prohibitive, so we are happy -- grateful even -- to stay at a nearby Residence Inn that will provide us with free breakfast and transportation to WDW at a small fraction of what we'd pay at WDW. In fact, Marriott's rates reduce when your stay is 8+ days. Yes, grateful, because staying off-site is making this lengthy visit more possible.

This is just a vent because alternate strategies will not work with our circumstances this time...We previously have only stayed at WDW resorts. I knew we'd be relinquishing Extra Magic Hours and the 60 day window to book FastPasses, but what I didn't anticipate is being unable to book FastPasses for our entire visit at once. No, I am daily rising at 3:30 am (PST) to book FastPasses on the rolling date 30 days out that becomes available each day at 7:00 am (EST). I will continue doing this for each day because I know we already are at a disadvantage, limited to a 30 day advance booking window.

First world problems, I know. However, I will put a pin in this issue when considering staying offsite in the future if the option to stay onsite is reasonably available.

First world problems, I know. However, I will put a pin in this issue when considering staying offsite in the future if the option to stay onsite is reasonably available.
Another option that has been an allowable discussion on the Theme Parks board is to book an onsite room for one-night of your Stay. Then, instead of a rolling 30, you have the ability to book FPs for onsite check-in and checkout dates and then a 60-day rolling booking window for the rest of your park days.

This onsite strategy is discussed here and the onsite room is not Canceled:
Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays - Update

Unless you are travelling at a very busy time, I don't think it makes that much difference. We regularly visit for March break (ours aligns with Florida's as well), and we have always been able to get FP's for everything we want without issue. I'm not online at 7:00 EST - in fact I usually book them on my lunch hour several hours later. Occasionally the FP time is not ideal, and that has been our biggest adjustment to FP+ is that we have adjusted our touring style a bit to compensate for odd timed FP's. We tend to blend our FP+ times into Touring Plans strategies to make the most out of our park days. No complaints from the family.

It's really no big deal whatsoever. We stay offsite only, would never consider staying onsite. Therefore, we're limited to 30 days, one at a time. Not only that, as AP holders we can only have 7 days worth of FP+ in any 30 day period. So when we take a 14 day trip, we can only book days 1-7 at 30 days out. We can't book day 8 until we finish with day 1...which means we book only 6 days ahead of time. We still get a decent selection at that point, and by refreshing day of, we can get pretty much any attraction, any time.

Really, if you use the FP+ system to your advantage, the 60 day booking thing is HIGHLY overrated.

I have no issues with booking at 30 or less, there really is only a few that are impacted.

But I wanted to ask if you checked out Doubletree Suites = 1 bedroom and 60 day FP+ and great shuttle service. Mousesavers sometimes has specials there.

Booking daily is a pain. I don't think you need to be getting up at 3:30 to do so, though.

At 30 days, you probably don't have much chance of snagging the headliners (FoP, SDD, 7DMT) because people have a hard time booking them at 60 days. Most other rides are generally available less than 30 days in advance. So sleep in, and book at a normal waking hour.

Then start looking again about a little more than a week before your trip because some people will be cancelling their trips just before the refund deadline.

Lastly, start looking the night before and the morning of your trip. The most movement happens then as people drop FP to pick up others or change their plans.

I'll join the chorus of others to reassure you that you really aren't at a huge disadvantage, other than the early mornings to get up to book each day (which probably isn't really necessary either).

We grab FP's for everything the night before or day of - whether staying onsite, offsite, or driving in the for day. As long as you work the refresh, you can snag anything you want to ride. Yes - even FOP, SDMT, and SDD!

Residence Inn's are typically very nice - I hope you have a great trip!

, the 60 day booking thing is HIGHLY overrated.

The only time it makes a difference is if you want FP for FOP, 7DMT or the slinky ride. Those are also hard to get at 60+4. Other than those rides - no problem even at Christmas.

Also keep an eye out for park hour changes. If they extend park hours, then more FP become available for those extra hours, often the day after the hour change. I have gotten popular FP that way.

I'm with you on this, too. We usually stay on-site but we are staying off this time with our APs, and we are concerned about FP booking. Right now we're finding ourselves debating between the Doubletree and Embassy simply because of this, and trying to decide if it's worth more money to stay at the Doubletree.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and tips!

I like to pre-plan as much as possible to avoid standing in the Standby lines of popular rides, especially since we visit WDW every other year. My DH is not a Disney fan and I try to buffer the experience as much as possible for him.

Now that I'm done with the process of making FastPass+ reservations, I can corroborate that I don't think getting up at 3:30 am made much of a difference. We were still shut out of Slinky Dog Dash and Flights of Passage. Frozen Ever After had many times available on every day of my interest. I will definitely look for Slinky Dog Dash and Flights of Passage FastPass opportunities, as well as park hour changes, as we get closer to our vacation.

I didn't check out the Doubletree Suites because we are Marriott Reward members, causing us to lean toward Marriott brands. We've stayed at Residence Inns many times and are familiar with the support, including laundry facilities, it provides extended stay guests. I've stayed at Doubletrees while traveling for work, though, and liked them. I'll keep it in mind for future visits.

Thanks again!

I have no issues with booking at 30 or less, there really is only a few that are impacted.

But I wanted to ask if you checked out Doubletree Suites = 1 bedroom and 60 day FP+ and great shuttle service. Mousesavers sometimes has specials there.

Clearly I read this too late, but I agree with the majority that it isn't much trouble to book 30 days out.

Day of, just keep checking your app for FP availability and stay flexible with your ride strategy, within reason - i.e. don't go running from Pirates to Space Mountain just because you can get a time. But always remember - you're there to have fun, so have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter