Still deciding on deluxe, please help with new options! Poly villa vs BW vs WL

Speaking of which--it doesn't matter what I or anyone else would choose. Choose the resort that you're happiest with and can afford.

Edited to fix typo
I have only ever stayed at POFQ and BC, that is why I love hearing about other people’s experiences. I honestly love all the parks and would like to be super close to at least one. We have experienced the Epcot area hotels a lot and do love them. I also have always wanted to stay at a MK resort so here I am lol! Thanks for all your input! It really helps a lot when I hear things from others.

I would choose the GF or BWI no club level. Poly is great and has been my favorite resort in the past but it is looking a little “worn” to me and the price doesn’t justify. I LOVE the grounds there but our last two times we were there it always smelled like smoke by the pools during the day? The GF rooms are so nice and are spacey. Our favorite park in AK so monorail is not that important to us. A plus for BWI is using the back entrance to Epcot. You are avoiding all the construction in the front. I too, like mentioned above, would skip the dining plan. It is not worth charging an 11 year old as an adult. Why don’t you let your daughter look at pictures and see what she prefers? All are really good options and have some sort of benefit you would like.

we are going in May, I gave the trip as a Christmas gift :)
Ah, I missed that. We're going in May too!

I do think BWI is a good choice because the savings are so much better. It's a nice hotel, with lovely themed rooms, in a great location for easy park access. The only downsides I felt about it were (1) the clown pool is weird. I didn't hate it but it would for sure be disappointing at BC, unlike the poly volcano pool which is really nice; and (2) you have to go outside to the boardwalk for any food, and the quick service place doesn't have any indoor seating. I didn't think this would bug me as much, but when you just want a quick breakfast it's annoying, and when it was rainy it was awful. But those were not dealbreakers for us and I would for sure stay there again if it was $1,000 savings.

But still, I can't help but recommend GF as my first choice in your situation. There is something really breathtaking about entering that lobby that just goes above and beyond in terms of Disney magic. My kids call it the castle hotel and keep asking when we will go back. And riding the monorail and ship launches is really lovely--not just to MK, but to the other MK area resorts for dinners or character breakfasts as there so many great places to eat in that area. But GF was $1,000 more than beach club for our May dates and we are only staying 5 nights, so I think it is a steal that you are finding it at the same price as Wilderness lodge.

I would choose the GF or BWI no club level. Poly is great and has been my favorite resort in the past but it is looking a little “worn” to me and the price doesn’t justify. I LOVE the grounds there but our last two times we were there it always smelled like smoke by the pools during the day? The GF rooms are so nice and are spacey. Our favorite park in AK so monorail is not that important to us. A plus for BWI is using the back entrance to Epcot. You are avoiding all the construction in the front. I too, like mentioned above, would skip the dining plan. It is not worth charging an 11 year old as an adult. Why don’t you let your daughter look at pictures and see what she prefers? All are really good options and have some sort of benefit you would like.
She can’t decide either 🤣🤣🤣

I enjoyed my recent stay at BC and have fond memories staying in the Crescent Lake resort area as a kid. But I feel like everything cool BWI has to offer (the actual Boardwalk) is easily accessible if you’re not staying there, and it’s laid out really weird to me...I cut through on my way to DHS one night and popped inside to look around and it was odd. It has excellent signature dining but again, the same Achilles heel of the Epcot area resorts, lack of decent QS options if you’re too tired to go to Epcot. Walking proximity to two parks is by far the best thing about it.

So I prefer Poly. There is just something really magical to me about the MK area. Walking off DME into the GCH and seeing the castle straight ahead was so cool. Poly has 2 excellent QS options and 2 lounges. Better pools (I actually liked the Oasis pool more than SAB, which overwhelmed me). Fireworks views. GF right next door and CR a quick monorail ride away if you want signature dining.

Is a split stay feasible for you? It would be the best of both worlds. We would have done it for our own May trip but my gf is Poly or bust.

I enjoyed my recent stay at BC and have fond memories staying in the Crescent Lake resort area as a kid. But I feel like everything cool BWI has to offer (the actual Boardwalk) is easily accessible if you’re not staying there, and it’s laid out really weird to me...I cut through on my way to DHS one night and popped inside to look around and it was odd. It has excellent signature dining but again, the same Achilles heel of the Epcot area resorts, lack of decent QS options if you’re too tired to go to Epcot. Walking proximity to two parks is by far the best thing about it.

So I prefer Poly. There is just something really magical to me about the MK area. Walking off DME into the GCH and seeing the castle straight ahead was so cool. Poly has 2 excellent QS options and 2 lounges. Better pools (I actually liked the Oasis pool more than SAB, which overwhelmed me). Fireworks views. GF right next door and CR a quick monorail ride away if you want signature dining.

Is a split stay feasible for you? It would be the best of both worlds. We would have done it for our own May trip but my gf is Poly or bust.
For some reason DH wants no parts of a split stay. That was my first choice. We are the type that goes back to the room to break and rest/pool before we go out for the night. His fear is the new room or luggage wouldn’t be there/ready for us when we would want a break.

I have stayed at all 4 of these resorts. At the current price point, my vote would be for the GF lagoon view with the Poly studio coming in a very close 2nd. I would save the $300 and book the GF. I did not like the location of the WL and found the boat transportation to MK slow and unreliable (just my experience). I love the BWI, but the garden view rooms do not hold the same appeal to me as the water view rooms. The Poly is gorgeous at night and has some of the best theming on property, and it wins for trasportation since you can walk to the TTC to pick up the monorail to Epcot. You may get a parking lot view if you are put in Pago Pago. This is such a personal decision. There is no wrong answer. Pick the option that makes you feel the most excited about your trip. I am excited to see what you pick. I replied to your other post on the GF versus Poly. One final note... A Disney trip can be tiring. I can understand parties that are not up for a split stay. I think it is better not to try it if one party is not on board, and kids are involved. Good luck!

For some reason DH wants no parts of a split stay. That was my first choice. We are the type that goes back to the room to break and rest/pool before we go out for the night. His fear is the new room or luggage wouldn’t be there/ready for us when we would want a break.
My husband and son do not like split stays either. We did it once from Swan to Contemporary (I thought Epcot/MK). My only comment would be that BWI appears to be all connected whereas Poly and GF you are walking outside to get to your rooms. It seems like such a small deal until it is 100 degrees. However, we LOVE the monorail, so I think I would really consider one of those resorts. It is just so nice to have 3 resorts that you can easily eat at throughout your trip (without needing a car).

I think Krystal659 makes a really good point that a split stay between the Poly and GF would not be a big deal. You can walk between the 2 resorts. In fact, when we stayed at the Poly this past August, I walked to the GF to work out because the exercise equipment for both resorts is housed at the GF. It is literally a 5 minute or less walk between the 2 resorts. Since it is walking distance, why not consider a split stay between the GF and Poly?

I think Krystal659 makes a really good point that a split stay between the Poly and GF would not be a big deal. You can walk between the 2 resorts. In fact, when we stayed at the Poly this past August, I walked to the GF to work out because the exercise equipment for both resorts is housed at the GF. It is literally a 5 minute or less walk between the 2 resorts. Since it is walking distance, why not consider a split stay between the GF and Poly?
The OP made a point of saying that her DH doesn't want a split stay. Since I'm no fan of split stays myself, I understand. I want to know that I've got a room to go back to after I've checked in and have a room assignment. And since I unpack after I check in, I'd have to repack and unpack again. No thanks.

I keep seeing this thread in my in-box and my main reaction to it is this: OP, if money is not really a consideration, even though of course nearly anyone would be happy to have $1,000 extra, then you should stay where you want to stay. Period. Forget everything else. Even if you're going to be spending all your time at DAK--just an example--you should still stay at the Poly if that's where you want to stay, where you'd be happiest, and you can afford it. Why not? It's your trip.

The OP made a point of saying that her DH doesn't want a split stay. Since I'm no fan of split stays myself, I understand. I want to know that I've got a room to go back to after I've checked in and have a room assignment. And since I unpack after I check in, I'd have to repack and unpack again. No thanks.

I keep seeing this thread in my in-box and my main reaction to it is this: OP, if money is not really a consideration, even though of course nearly anyone would be happy to have $1,000 extra, then you should stay where you want to stay. Period. Forget everything else. Even if you're going to be spending all your time at DAK--just an example--you should still stay at the Poly if that's where you want to stay, where you'd be happiest, and you can afford it. Why not? It's your trip.

I was the first to actually acknowledge in my previous post that a split stay is not a good idea if one party is not in agreement because Disney is a tiring trip. I rethought my position on account of the proximity of the GF to the Poly. I have stayed at both resorts multiple times and almost feel like they are extensions. In fact, patrons at the Poly use the gym at the GF. It is a 3-7 minute walk, depending on your longhouse. I used the gym at the GF in August when staying at the Poly. It was close and convenient. You should definitely not do a split stay from the Poly to the GF if it creates a burden to pack, unpack, and pack again, and then possible transfer your luggage over the 5 minute walk to the GF in the heat. Maybe Disney does this for you? I am sure a split stay expert could share their experiences. It may be an great option for higher energy families or families that are torn and would like to experience both resorts.

Last edited:
I was the first to actually acknowledge in my previous post that a split stay is not a good idea if one party is not in agreement because Disney is a tiring trip. I rethought my position on account of the proximity of the GF to the Poly. I have stayed at both resorts multiple times and almost feel like they are extensions. In fact, patrons at the Poly use the gym at the GF. It is a 3-7 minute walk, depending on your longhouse. I used the gym at the GF in August when staying at the Poly. It was close and convenient. You should definitely not do a split stay from the Poly to the GF if it creates a burden to pack, unpack, and pack again, and then possible transfer your luggage over the 5 minute walk to the GF in the heat. Maybe Disney does this for you? I am sure a split stay expert could share their experiences. It may be an great option for higher energy families or families that are torn and would like to experience both resorts.
That's very true. There are different reasons people like or dislike split stays. For me, I don't like the possibility that I might want to go back to my room, only there wouldn't be a room there. I feel like this the day I check in, too, but understand that the room might not be ready until 3 or 4 or later. But I'm much happier when the room is ready when I check in. I think everyone has a different priority. For me, it wouldn't be about transferring the luggage or walking/cabbing/whatever from Resort A to Resort B. It'd mostly be about not having the room should I want it and the unpacking/packing/unpacking thing. I like being settled in when I'm on vacation, but I totally understand that everyone feels differently about this!

That's very true. There are different reasons people like or dislike split stays. For me, I don't like the possibility that I might want to go back to my room, only there wouldn't be a room there. I feel like this the day I check in, too, but understand that the room might not be ready until 3 or 4 or later. But I'm much happier when the room is ready when I check in. I think everyone has a different priority. For me, it wouldn't be about transferring the luggage or walking/cabbing/whatever from Resort A to Resort B. It'd mostly be about not having the room should I want it and the unpacking/packing/unpacking thing. I like being settled in when I'm on vacation, but I totally understand that everyone feels differently about this!

These are really good points. I would think you would want to have a full park day planned and then be ok with coming back and unpacking after you had packed that morning or the night before. I would not want to do this if I had small kids. I am getting tired just thinking about it. Lol...

honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices. Our trip this past August we split between Poly and BWV and we liked both resorts (first time staying at both). I have not stayed at GF or WL but would like to try both. I would pick WL last if I had to ranked all 4 though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter