Stop taking away things and begin adding things, for example...

You can go to guest services for the Navigator. Some sailings it is just setting out at the desk and some you have to wait in line and ask for it. It was much simpler for us to let our stateroom host know and then it was waiting for us every night, just like before.

On the Magic last week they were displayed to the left of the Guest Services desk. On the first day when we met our room host I asked if it would be possible to get a Navigator each night. She said they are not supposed to do that and I said Ok, I'll just get it at GS. Low and behold every night she had the Navigator on the bed. She was wonderful!!!

MJ

I think it's lovely that some stateroom hosts will go out of their way to supply the Navigator, but that fact, coupled with the "get your own at Guest Services" just really begs the question of WHY DCL even bothered to make this change. If it's truly the environment, why print them at all - just force everyone to use the app. (Ironically, when you ask a CM what time a particular event is happening, guess what they pull out - a Navigator). If it's to save the stateroom host time, well, I can't even believe that for a second, given that the DVC ads and such still arrive promptly in the rooms.

Oh, and on the EBTA, they announced at the welcome show that Navigators would still be delivered because this was a special cruise, and because they knew guests wanted it.

They. Know. Guests. Want. Them. Delivered .... but they took that very small thing away.

Anyone know how they arrive at the # of Navigators that get printed each day now? And do they adjust during the cruise if they are gone early/ have left overs?

Yeah, not everyone has access to the app. Many people don't use their phones on vacation. Indeed, there are people who don't have cell phones.

Oh absolutely. As I'm sure you can tell from my post, I wasn't trying to suggest that forcing everyone to use the app is the RIGHT decision - just that it was open to DCL to make that decision if not delivering Navigators was truly about the environment.

If you attend a craft activity towards the end of your sailing, don’t be surprised to find piles of navigators ready to be cut up and used.

Some people want paper navigators. Other people don't care about paper navigators and are happy to use the app. Some people choose to use only the app and don't want additional paper that they won't use.

It appears that people on Disboards are more likely to want paper navigators. That could be because people on Disboards are also more likely to be either repeat cruisers, who know how valuable the paper navigators are, or dedicated planners, who want to make sure they know everything going on. People who haven't seen the navigators before and haven't learned about them from pre-cruise research (which is a significant portion of cruisers) won't know what they're missing.

Disney Cruise Line must have determined that enough people don't care about or don't want the paper that they didn't need to produce enough for every stateroom every night. I'm sure they are monitoring how often people ask for paper navigators at Guest Services, and how many are picked up when readily available. If the number of requests becomes onerous, they may go back to delivering navigators each night. Clearly, in the past 6 months, it hasn't been onerous enough to change, and they are still working on matching supply and demand (hence, the stacks of navigators for craft activities).

On our Mediterranean cruise in June, there were always navigators available in a rack at Guest Services. Since I walked by several times a day for dining and activities, it wasn't a problem to pick one up. I would have preferred to find one in my room after dinner, but even in past years when that happened, I would usually pick up an extra so I could carry one around and leave one in the room for my family to reference.

One downside to printing out activities the night before is that if activities are added or changed (for example, due to weather or inability to dock at a port) the Navigators would need to be reprinted. Online listings can be updated more quickly. This is a real advantage for everyone of using the app and decreasing reliance on printed navigators.

While it is true that some people don't have smartphones and therefore can't use the app, the number of such people (and especially the number of such people who can afford Disney cruises) is decreasing. If people can't or choose not to use the app, they can still get access to printed information, just as people can maintain physical address books if they don't want to store numbers exclusively on their phone. (I do that.) I would prefer to have current White Pages and Yellow Pages book for areas I want to call, but the companies that used to provide them have apparently determined that the benefit doesn't excede the cost.

Last edited:
Disney Cruise Line must have determined that enough people don't care about or don't want the paper that they didn't need to produce enough for every stateroom every night.

I disagree with the suggestion that because DCL no longer delivers them, it's because DCL determined people don't care enough. There may be no correlation at all. It's hard to believe that people care about shopping ads, DVC ads, all still delivered to the rooms, more than they care about the Navigators.

I take the point of your post that it's easy to grab a Navigator. Sure it is. But it is just one little thing being taken away in the face of many things taken away or increased in price. It just leaves a little bit of a sour taste, when it's so easily remedied.

So you don't get a Navigator at check in?
Oooooo....good question. No experience with that, yet, but I would think the one we've gotten on check in is still handed out.

Can anyone tell us?

The check-in Navigators must also be limited because on our October cruise on the Magic they didn't give us one at check-in, telling me that they had run out (at 1pm).

Just returned from the Fantasy Halloween trip and requested Navigator be delivered nightly and it was. Great room host! Don't have use of smart phone.

The check-in Navigators must also be limited because on our October cruise on the Magic they didn't give us one at check-in, telling me that they had run out (at 1pm).
So I guess if you want one on check in day, you need to get there early.

Give me a lousy navigator, DCL!!!
Yeah, that's DCL's mantra "we'll only falling in line with what's happening in the industry".

But, in the meantime, they are cutting back on the upscale image (that many of us are willing to accept the higher cost for) all the while increasing the price for a lesser product.
They are not following the industry on price. ;)

Ok, I am only a little ashamed to admit that I emptied out several of my toiletry bottles on the last day and filled them up with lotion. I loved the scent so much! So the mega sized bottles worked for me because of that. Now I just need to take a cruise where I drive to port so the stupid TSA doesnt limit me. :rotfl2:

So I guess if you want one on check in day, you need to get there early.

Possibly! We did get a navigator at check in this past July for our Alaskan cruise, but we were amongst the first people to arrive at port...

We did not get a Navigator on check in in October on the Magic. They said they ran out, just like you!

What!?

I obviously haven’t been there in years. That was a big reason for staying in a WDW resort instead of off-park - to avoid paying parking at the parks (I like driving myself instead of riding the bus).
It is not Park parking it is at the Hotels. Except DVC on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter