Strategy of Park Hopping with car rental, which would you select?

Matrixleos

DIS Veteran
Over Memorial Day Weekend, we will have 2 park days and we were wondering what would be our best and fastest transportation options? We will be doing rope drop on both days and staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here's what I'm currently planning for, which options would you select...

Saturday: Rope Drop Animal Kingdom and Park Hop to Magic Kingdom
Option 1) I was planning to drive to Animal Kingdom an hour before rope drop. Then when we are ready to park hop over to Magic Kingdom around noon, I was planning to drive to the TTC. Then take the monorail over to MK.

Option 2) I've read suggestions of taking the bus from Animal Kingdom, as that would be faster than waiting at the TTC for a monorail or ferry. That the bus would drop you right in front of Magic Kingdom entrance. Then just take the bus back to AKL on when we are ready to leave.

Sunday: Rope Drop Hollywood Studios and Park Hop to Epcot
Option 1) I was planning to drive to Hollywood Studios an hour before rope drop. Then when we are ready to park hop over to Epcot around noon, I was planning to drive over to Epcot.

Option 2) I've read suggestions of taking the bus to Hollywood Studios and then taking the Sky Liner over to Epcot when we are ready to park hop. Then just take the bus back to AKL on when we are ready to leave.

Which options would you select with if you had a car rental, along with Disney transportation available?

We have had our car at Disney the last three times we’ve gone. We’ve never used it while there. We find it so much easier to use Disney transportation. Not only is it easier, but it’s quicker even factoring in the wait for the bus if you’re busing. I also think I’ve read for rope drop you’re better off using Disney transport because it can get you there before the parking lots open.

My $0.02:

Saturday - I’m honestly fairly indifferent here. If you’re willing to drive from AKL to AK parking an hour before rope drop, you’ll probably get a close spot, and it could be quicker to hop in your car at park hopping time and drive to TTC than waiting for a potentially crowded park hopping bus on a holiday weekend. Conversely, you’ll arrive at TTC to a packed lot and probably be taking a tram from Villains side, and a tram back later.

Wildcard - maybe bus to AK in the morning and bus to Contemporary at noon if the park hop bus has a long line. Then bus to AKL when you’re done at MK

Sunday - I wouldn’t drive between DHS and Epcot parking lots. 100% no. Just walk (20-25 minutes) or Skyliner (20-25 minutes) going, and then Skyliner or Boat back at the end of the night (I believe boat is more like 25-30 going to Epcot but 20-25 coming back due to the docking procedures).

I would not drive, especially to MK! Crowds are absolutely a nightmare getting back to the TTC. Ic ant imagine how bad on a holiday weekend! It was so bad a couple years ago. Y kids never wanted to go back to MK! Disney transportation is fine. Especially when you’re at a resort like AKL. Now if you were at CBR, SSR, or OKW, I’d say drive to avoid those huge internal bus loops.

AKL to AK is like a 5 min bus ride. The hotel is right next to the park. Then just take bus to MK where you are dropped off at bus depot outside the security gate. No need for ferry or monorail. Then get the AKL bus back to hotel. Only slightly annoying thing is bus will go to Kidani and then Jambo.

Second day- Drive to HS if you want, leave car there, use boat, walk to Epcot. You can use the Skyliner but it’s sort of the long way around. Reverse trip to leave Epcot for HS to pick up car.

Alternative just Disney transportation

I find the car is useful for Disney Springs, water parks, ADR at restaurants at resorts you aren’t staying at. I typically leave my car at my resort and use Disney transportation for parks.

We did a bit of a combination of driving and using Disney Transportation on our last trip. We thought that Disney Transportation would be quicker and more convenient. By the end of the trip we just drove as we enjoyed the comfort of the rental vehicle at the end of the night and we had gotten used to navigating around Disney World.

I think it is mostly a matter of personal preference. Some people seem in a race to get from one place to the next @ Disney so they don't tend to like Disney transportation. You might have just missed one bus/boat/monorail/tram/etc. and have to wait a few minutes for the next one. Or there might be a long line and everyone doesn't fit and you have to wait for the next one. Even if you drive, by the time you walk a long distance to your car in one of Disney's huge parking lots, I am not sure that is really any faster.

To me it also depends on where you are staying and which park(s) you plan to spend the most time. Staying at a monorail resort is very convenient for MK, but not so much for the other parks. If I was mostly going to HS or Epcot, then staying somewhere on that side of the property makes the most sense.

We have always had a rental car since it gives us more flexibility if we decide to go shopping, take a side trip or eat somewhere else that isn't part of Disney. Memorial day is probably a very busy time for Disney, so likely you will be waiting in long lines with LOTS of other people regardless of which method you choose.

We take our rental everywhere. To all parks at all times otherwise why rent? Yes you can get closer to MK with a bus, but I want to ride the monorail. Plus should I want to leave at any point I can just hop in my car and go no waiting for busses. If you stay through fireworks at MK take the ferry back to the TTC as it can hold a ton of people at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter