"Strip" area of Orlando......(and keep your mind out of the gutter! lol)

caa1277

American by birth............Grumpy by choice!
Where in Orlando is the "strip"? You know with all the restaurants, shops, mini-golf, and so forth? Thanks in advance.

Are you thinking of International Drive (I-Drive)?

I have no idea. THe only part of Orlando I have ever been to is straight to Disney and then straight out. Never been to any other area of Orlando. We are planning on staying in Orlando for a few days after our June trip to WDW and don't really know what to do, where to go, or anything.

I drive. We avoid it at all costs because the traffic is brutal.

A less crowded but still interesting alternative is 192. There are tons of restaurants and there is some shopping. I usually stay on the west end, but I've also ventured over to where the Sams Club is.

Sheila

I have no idea. THe only part of Orlando I have ever been to is straight to Disney and then straight out. Never been to any other area of Orlando. We are planning on staying in Orlando for a few days after our June trip to WDW and don't really know what to do, where to go, or anything.

If you want to venture offsite for awhile, I would echo swilshire's comment about the traffic on I-Drive, although to be honest you should probably brave it once just for the experience. Most of it is really lowbrow touristy, but in a harmless fun way. State Road 192 heading into Kissimmee is similar, but now that they have improved the road it's a bit less constricted.

If you're looking for an area that is more pedestrian-friendly, CityWalk at Universal is an alternative, similar to Downtown Disney. Back in the day, we'd go further into Orlando and do some barhopping/shopping at Church Street Station, but it's been so long since I've been there I don't know if it's still worth it.

I think the closest thing to a "STRIP" similar to Las Vegas that you will get in Orlando would have to be Universal's Citywalk. Citywalk has some nice restaurants from what I have been told. No mini-golf, but there's always Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure.

If you don't know what to do and wouldn't mind going to some more theme parks then I know 2 theme-parks that can't be missed by Summer of 09 and that is SeaWorld and Universal Studios Florida. SeaWorld is getting a awesome new coaster called the Manta and USF is getting a unique steel rollercoaster.

International Drive is what I would consider the strip,CityWalk and Downtown Disney are entertainment complexes but I-Drive is huge street full of attractions,restaurants and hotels with Universal on the north end and Sea World near the southern end.192 still has a touristy strip feel basically west of 535 as you near Disney but east of 535 the neighborhood is very sketchy,full of run down roach hotels and closed restaurants as that was where people stayed 20-30 years ago before Disney had 25 hotels and I-Drive and the Lake Buena Vista area built more hotels,restaurants and attractions!

If you are looking for Tourism, then 192 is the kitschy area. It's actually not in Orlando, it's Kissimmee. International Drive can be a bit more dense and difficult to navigate, but I think it is a lot cleaner and more modern.

Orlando is not a one road town, though, and Disney is really not in the city anyways. Dr. Phillips (Sand Lake Road) is restaurant row, with more upscale smaller chains. The real upscale neighborhoods lie further north, however. Downtown and Thorton Park have some good independent dining, though not touristy attractions. If you want the more town feel, head up to Winter Park, which is a bit ritzy but nicely walkable.

If you do actually venture out of the park and explore, particularly getting away from I Drive and 192, that Orlando is a pretty diverse and nice city

Yea, shy away from 192 area. Once you get past Celebration, there isnt much to it. International Drive is the main tourist drag. The traffic isnt that bad.

If you want to get more of a taste of real Orlando, venture downtown or Winter Park's Park Ave. as Cloudboy suggested.

If by strip you are talking about something navigtatable by foot, then I would say I-Drive over 192. You can park at a lot along I-Drive and walk around quite a bit. 192 is a little more spread out. The core I would think of the I-Drive strip is at the Sand Lake Road intersection. Evening traffic there is a nightmare, though during the day we have found it not hard to pass through.

Take I-4 Eastbound to Fairbanks. Turn right off of the exit for about a mile and a half. Turn left on Park Avenue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter