stroller for 6 yr old?

michmom

Earning My Ears
We will be travelling to Disney with a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old. I am hoping to just bring our small umbrella stroller from home for the 3 yr old. Does anyone suggest a stroller for the 6 yr old or do you think she will be ok without one?

Any chance if the 6 year old needs a break the 3 year old would share and want to do some walking? That will be my hope when ours get to that age?

I am bringing a double umbrella stroller for my 3 and 6 year old...I know she's getting older but WDW can be VERY tiring.

She's a light 6 year old so I'm lucky she can still just about fit weight-wise.

I think your child may need one from time to time so maybe you could play it by ear and rent when necessary??

Good luck!

Back in June I brought 2 strollers, one for my ds who was 16 months old (regular size 4 in 1 stroller) and a nice reclining light weight stroller for my dd who just turned 6 in Sept. She would get tired and like a place to sit and we were able to get places faster, besides the fact that I knew where she was. We are going again in May and now I am deciding if I want to bring her stroller again. I know that she will come an age where she shouldn't need it, but luckily she is very small and I can get away with it for a little long. Just for the record, she doesn't use a stroller anywhere else, just Disney! I felt like I had to say that ;)

We are facing this same problem with our upcoming trip. We have found a little device we like that attaches to the rear axle of a stroller and allows an older child to either sit or stand. Then if you don't need it, simply unattach it from the stroller. It is in Baby Depot (part of Burlington Coat Factory) here in NC. I am sure other locations or the web has the same thing.

I plan on bringing an umbrella stroller for my 3yo DD and waiting to see what happens with my 6yo DS. Last year we did rent. He really needed breaks, but I am not sure he will this year. If he does, we will rent one from the park because at 50 lbs. that is about the only stroller he would fit into.

Hi -

Can anyone enlighten me as to the size child a rental stroller in disney will accomodate and how much do they cost to rent? THANKS!!

I believe they rent for $6 a day. And if you change parks, you can just show your receipt from the previous park and not pay twice. As far a size, I have seen some fairly large kids in them, I would say 50 to 60 lbs easy.

all about WDW strollers, at the bottom of the page you will find links to photos of each park's strollers.....

Thought it might be helpful to you!

http://wdwig.com/strol_faq.htm

Now in my opinion, I 'd try to find a lightweight one and bring your own. My almost 6 still needs one at WDW, too, as previous poster said, and again, it's just great if you want to move fast, and you know where they are in a crowd that can sometimes be overwhelming....(Saturday night at MK comes to mind, yikes), it's extra storage too, if you need it

FYI - The new stroller renatal prices at Disney are $8 a day for a single & $15 a day for a double. Ouch!

I think it depends if you are commandos or taking it at the child's pace. We went to WDW last Nov and my older DD turned 5 while we were there. We did NOT have a stroller for her but did have one for her younger sister (22-months) and she would occasionally climb in while her sister toddled along. We walked at a child's pace and took breaks in the afternoon back at the hotel.

We did fine with only a little whining about being tired. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Peggy

For our almost 5 year old, a stroller was still essential at Epcot, but would have been more trouble than it was worth at the other three parks. Even when our kids were 3 we did not use strollers for them at MK. If you don't have a stroller for your child, just rent one at Epcot and you shouldn't need one anywhere else. We don't even own any strollers anymore so I wasn't about to buy one just for Epcot.

We found that with our children last year at 3,5 and 8 the two younger still wanted to sit for most of the time. This year we are trying to go without a stroller but I think we will end up renting them.

We still always end up renting one at some point. Last year we rented a double because my 8 year old found it wonderful to be able to take a rest also. They were 4 and 8. The double was plenty big enough for both of them!

The first time my DSIL went, her youngest was 5 1/2 and she got her a stroller. Remember, their little legs aren't as long as yours, so for every step you take, they're taking 3 or 4. My niece very willingly went in the stroller, and her 7 and 9 year old brothers flopped in it too a couple of times! I say bring it.

I went in August with my sister and her two kids (6 and 4), and my 2.5 year old DD. I brought my stroller, and one day we tried to go without renting a second stroller...mistake! All the kids were fighting to sit in my daughters stroller...my sister ended up renting a double stroller for 5 days - and at $15/day - that adds up! However, with 2 small size kids, they may be able to sit in the same stroller some times...my niece (6 years old and only 38 pounds) would sit in my DD's stroller and hold her. That worked on occassion - but only for short bursts when neither girl would sit with my nephew in the rented stroller! :) Good luck!

I am wonderng the exact same thing.
I brought a stroller last year and my then 2 and 6 year old shared it but we really needed one for each for several reasons.
I felt it was more secure in a stroller. No roaming or wondering off/getting separated and lost.
Cut down on impulse buying of souvenirs (Kept them away from them).
Huge help at end of evening. Tired kids and parents together make a bad combo. They seemed 50 pounds heavier at the end of the day.
Speed- MUCH faster pace accomplished w/ strollers.
I am checking out all of the stroller threads for ideas!

We brought 2 strollers when we went down in June, ds was 16 months, definitely needed it, and dd was just about 6 yrs old. We had the big stroller for ds and brought a reclining lightweight stroller for dd. It worked out perfectly. DH and I were talking about our next trip in May and wondering if we should still bring 2 strollers and he said that yes, we should bring both. Luckily dd is small for her age, she is 41 1/4 inches tall and she is 36 lbs. Most people won't look at us strange, but we know that soon we will have to stop bringing a stroller for her. I dread that day! I love having the stroller. At least ds will be in the stroller for a while.

We rented a double stroller every day for our 6 and 4 year old. We definately always needed the stroller option for both of them in all parks. Neither one of my kids can cover eight miles in the heat on any given day, let alone several days at a time. For a happier vacation I would have a stroller on hand for your 6 year old unless you have a kid who can really hike!
We didnt look into this, but you can rent strollers from a company in Orlando that will deliver and pick up from your hotel. It might be cheaper than renting from disney and save you the need to bringing two strollers while traveling.

Docswkids is referring to A Baby's Best Friend rental in Orlando, www.abbf.com We have used them several times on past trips and they really are wonderful. For the week double stroller we saved a lot over the park rental. Good luck!

Have a great trip!
:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter