• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for Egypt Pre-Day?

tracyz

Mouseketeer
We're headed to Egypt this weekend! We have a full day in Cairo before our Adventure begins. I know a few of you have been on the trip now...any suggestions for good things to see that ABD does cover? Thanks!

I did Egypt on my own in March, due to all the cancellations, not with AbD.
The must-do for me was the national museum of epyptian civilization. Surprised it’s not included with AbD. That’s where all the mummies are. It’s a short Uber ride from the Ritz.

Last edited:
The museum is great. Take a walk through the khan el khalili market. Not sure if it’s included On the tour but a night time cruise with dinner was fun with good food and entertainment and the lights of Cairo before you.

Take a walk through the khan el khalili market.

The Khan el Khalili market is a walk back in time about 500 years and is an absolute maze! You will get lost!

Tip: Always start market walk at Hussain Mosque. When lost, simply ask anyone "Hussein Mosque?" and they will point you in the right direction.

To comply with local custom, women should not walk alone and should always have a male guardian.

-Paul

Would you be willing to write something about your trip when it is done? I have been looking for an ABD Egypt trip report and haven’t found any, so I would love to hear what you think.

Before you go to Egypt, be sure to learn about Baksheesh, kinda like a small bribe paid in advance like a tip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baksheesh

Also be sure to learn numbers in Arabic script. It's not hard since western numbering system originated on base-10 numbering system created by the Hindus and imported into Arabia. It later replaced the Roman numerals in the west.

-Paul

The Khan el Khalili market is a walk back in time about 500 years and is an absolute maze! You will get lost!

Tip: Always start market walk at Hussain Mosque. When lost, simply ask anyone "Hussein Mosque?" and they will point you in the right direction.

To comply with local custom, women should not walk alone and should always have a male guardian.

-Paul
Love the tip regarding asking directions back to the mosque.
I don’t know if the bit about ”women should not be walking alone” is from you or if you are quoting someone. Egypt is a modern country, and it is neither Saudi Arabia, nor Iran. There are tons of female university students, professors, and archeologists. I have been in Egypt several times, including Cairo, and never had an issue with walking alone or two women walking on their own, etc. Always ask locals, for example, at your hotel for the latest advice though.

In strict Muslim societies, women must always be accompanied by a male guardian. If a woman is alone, she is considered a prostitute.

Egypt is a modern country, but there are still some who cling to the old culture. Since you do not know who you might offend, it's best to walk with a friend, preferably male.

A woman alone can easily blend into a bunch of female university student but take the wrong turn down a side street and it is a completely different world.

Always be aware of your surroundings!

-Paul

-Paul
You visit the Khan el Khalili market on this ABD. Just returned from Oct 11-20th. Feel free to ask me anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter