Suggestions on Hawaii Itinerary?

zeferjen

Mother Knows Best
Hi All - we have booked Aulani for the end of August and have plane tickets (all frequent flyer miles - woot!). Aulani is currently booked Aug 26-Sept 2, but we may drop one day off of the front of the trip.

We are a family of four, and will have a 5yo ds and an almost 7yo dd. We will be celebrating my and dh's 10th wedding anniversary.

Here is the plan as it stands today:

Aug 21: Flight Arrives HNL at 6PM

Hawaiian Air to KOA 6:52-7:35

Car Rental Pickup

Hilton Waikoloa Village

Aug 22: Probably wake up early

Pick up groceries at Island Gourmet in the Queen's Shopping Center

Dolphin Quest 10:30 AM

Chill at resort

Aug 23: Snorkeling Boat Charter 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM
http://www.fair-wind.com

Chill at resort

Club Keiki Night Camp? Paul and Jen to eat at Imari.

Aug 24: Island Lava Java breakfast

Kona Beach Boys Shack for paddleboard lessons
1.5 group lesson  $75/person, minimum 2 people, maximum 4 people per instructor.

Kona Joe Coffee

Aug 25: Twilight Volcano Tour
10:30 AM  10:30 PM

Aug 26: Either lazy day at hotel or checkout and go to Aulani

Aug 27: Flight to HNL. Car Rental Pickup

Lunch at Helenas

Stop at Costco on way to Aulani

Chill at resort. Check in 3pm. Dinner in room

Aug 28: Breakfast in room

Resort Day
Pool, lazy river
Rainbow reef snorkeling

Lunch by the pool

Menehune trail

Dinner at Roys (kids at aunties beach house)

Aug 29: Breakfast in room

Dole Plantation 9:30

Eat at Giovannis Shrimp Trucks.

Shaved ice at Matsumotos

Turtle beach

Explore North Shore
Starlit Hui 7:30PM

Aug 30: Kids  Aunties Beach house

Spa in the AM

'Imi Loa Na Hoku Explore the Stars tour

Dinner at Ama Ama

Aug 31: Hike diamondhead

International Market Place

Waikiki beach

Sansei Sushi for happy hour (5:30)  be early.

Sept 1: Resort Day

Breakfast at Ama Ama

Stingray experience?

lunch from Ko Olina BBQ across the street

Dinner at Makahiki

Sept 2: Aulani Cabana Rental

Flight home 8PM

For the Big Island, have you looked into the starlight gazing buffet they do at the Four Seasons Hualalai? It is pricey, but it's pretty special. They do star gazing for the kids at some point during the buffet. Turtles nest on the beach pretty often as well. It's just a lovely resort.

For Oahu, I would skip Giovanni's (it's gone downhill alot since I started going 10 years ago) and also skip Matsumotos (same, downhill). Our new favorite is Macky's Shrimp close to Dole Plantation, and Ailana's or Waiola's.

Ailana's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/ailana-shave-ice-honolulu

Waiola's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/waiola-shave-ice-honolulu#query:ailana's

Waiola's is in a shady neighborhood, but the shave ice there is TO DIE. And I never say that. But it is. My goodness if you could fly me back there this minute I'd get the azuki bean condensed cream yummmmmmmm.

Thank you! Changes made :)

Oh and for your Sansei HH, there's no real view from there. It's inside a hotel building. I also wasn't that impressed with the food (or the service).

You might wanna try Duke's for HH, or the Tiki Bar (I think it's called that. It's Tiki something... you can see it right from the beach w/Tiki torches.) The Tiki Bar is on the 2nd story of a hotel patio and it overlooks Waikiki beach without being right on it. Prices are reasonable and kind of a cute place. HH menu was pretty good. Food average to above average. I've never had a full on meal here, but we come for Lava Flows and nachos, etc.

View from Tiki's: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tiki...MdseWuhAekI_jYP2QyQQiw#yJQz7wcLVzaRsVovNqvLqg

Duke's will be super busy, but the barefoot bar is always nice and the ambiance is nice for kids. Duke's is right on the beach. The food is VERY meh, though.

If you have time, hop over to the Sheraton Moana (next door to Duke's) and get a "Backscratcher". That's one mean drink and I personally think they have the best drinks around. Plus, it's just a really beautiful hotel.

View from Moana bar: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/moan...5p80I8bS39_mGeH9ZaXrsg#y_ptukjaiO3LobK7A-9LVg

Lots of mosquitos near the International Marketplace, so get your Off Spray ready.

You might wanna try Duke's for HH, or the Tiki Bar (I think it's called that. It's Tiki something... you can see it right from the beach w/Tiki torches.) The Tiki Bar is on the 2nd story of a hotel patio and it overlooks Waikiki beach without being right on it.

Shorebirds in Waikiki is a great place as well. You get to cook the food yourself on grills and many seats are beach-side to Waikiki Beach. It's inside the Outrigger on the Beach I believe.

For Oahu, I would skip Giovanni's (it's gone downhill alot since I started going 10 years ago) and also skip Matsumotos (same, downhill). Our new favorite is Macky's Shrimp close to Dole Plantation, and Ailana's or Waiola's.

Waiola's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/waiola-shave-ice-honolulu#query:ailana's

Waiola's is in a shady neighborhood, but the shave ice there is TO DIE. And I never say that. But it is. My goodness if you could fly me back there this minute I'd get the azuki bean condensed cream yummmmmmmm.

Hijacking a bit... do you know how late the shrimp trucks like Macky's are open in October? We're planning to spend a few hours at the PCC one day and were hoping to eat at a shrimp truck afterwards for dinner. I know Haleiwa Town closes early- what about the trucks and shave ice?

Shorebirds in Waikiki is a great place as well. You get to cook the food yourself on grills and many seats are beach-side to Waikiki Beach. It's inside the Outrigger on the Beach I believe.

Shorebirds is at the Outrigger Reef on the beach. It's a fun place to eat. :thumbsup2

Hijacking a bit... do you know how late the shrimp trucks like Macky's are open in October? We're planning to spend a few hours at the PCC one day and were hoping to eat at a shrimp truck afterwards for dinner. I know Haleiwa Town closes early- what about the trucks and shave ice?

If I remember correctly, the closest shrimp trucks to PCC are not in Haleiwa but are in Kahuku. Google map it to figure it out. There are a few shrimp trucks in Kahuku; Giovanni's is one of them (this is the Giovanni's that I like the best, the one in Haleiwa is gross). There are also other ones which are highly rated. Check out yelp. I don't know the shave ice hours, but I'm sure you can call them up and just ask.

I've tried Famous Kahuku Shrimp (it's rated 4.5 on Yelp, but I thought it was only a 4. A different flavor profile than Giovannis and Mackys)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/famous-kahuku-shrimp-truck-kahuku

If you go all the way to PCC, are you not staying for their night show?

Grilling yourself sounds fun actually. Will have to try that out next time.

No, not planning to stay for the PCC night show, partly because we'll have a 6hr time difference to deal with and I know we'll be tired and partly because of the cost. I know PCC doesn't always get great reviews, but I think the kids (11 and 9) will enjoy it.

Oh and for your Sansei HH, there's no real view from there. It's inside a hotel building. I also wasn't that impressed with the food (or the service).

You might wanna try Duke's for HH, or the Tiki Bar (I think it's called that. It's Tiki something... you can see it right from the beach w/Tiki torches.) The Tiki Bar is on the 2nd story of a hotel patio and it overlooks Waikiki beach without being right on it. Prices are reasonable and kind of a cute place. HH menu was pretty good. Food average to above average. I've never had a full on meal here, but we come for Lava Flows and nachos, etc.

View from Tiki's: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tiki...MdseWuhAekI_jYP2QyQQiw#yJQz7wcLVzaRsVovNqvLqg

Duke's will be super busy, but the barefoot bar is always nice and the ambiance is nice for kids. Duke's is right on the beach. The food is VERY meh, though.

If you have time, hop over to the Sheraton Moana (next door to Duke's) and get a "Backscratcher". That's one mean drink and I personally think they have the best drinks around. Plus, it's just a really beautiful hotel.

View from Moana bar: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/moan...5p80I8bS39_mGeH9ZaXrsg#y_ptukjaiO3LobK7A-9LVg

Lots of mosquitos near the International Marketplace, so get your Off Spray ready.

Hi Lillpoo - you have great suggestions! Do you have any recs for good sushi? DH is a big fan. Also, would Alan Wong's be too fancy to bring a 5yo and 7yo?

We will be in Hawaii shortly after you leave ..... arrive 9/4 for 4 nights Waikiki, then 7 nights Aulani, then 10 nights on Maui!!!! We are also using FF miles on American for the 4 of us from Buffalo. The only flight we are paying for is the inter-island.

Anyway, before we picked locations/islands, we researched all the islands. There is a night time barbeque on a working ranch somewhere on the Big Island. They pick you up from your hotel, lots of food (steak, corn, etc.) cowboy stories, stargazing, etc. It sounded wonderful and the price was around the same as a Luau. Maybe somebody will know the name as it escapes me now.

If you have a chance, please post while you are in Hawaii!

We will be in Hawaii shortly after you leave ..... arrive 9/4 for 4 nights Waikiki, then 7 nights Aulani, then 10 nights on Maui!!!! We are also using FF miles on American for the 4 of us from Buffalo. The only flight we are paying for is the inter-island.

Anyway, before we picked locations/islands, we researched all the islands. There is a night time barbeque on a working ranch somewhere on the Big Island. They pick you up from your hotel, lots of food (steak, corn, etc.) cowboy stories, stargazing, etc. It sounded wonderful and the price was around the same as a Luau. Maybe somebody will know the name as it escapes me now.

If you have a chance, please post while you are in Hawaii!

I will definitely try to keep you all updated! I am googling the bbq now. Sounds like something my kids would love.

Incidentally, I grew up in WNY (Batavia). My family still lives there.

Hi Lillpoo - you have great suggestions! Do you have any recs for good sushi? DH is a big fan. Also, would Alan Wong's be too fancy to bring a 5yo and 7yo?

We're actually sad we've never tried Alan Wong's on Oahu --- precisely b/c we have kids. It's supposed to be super fancy. Fortunately, I had his food when he still had his restaurant at FS Hualalai and it was amazing.

I PM'ed you about sushi :goodvibes

And BTW... if your DH is a fan of sushi he definitely will NOT like Sansei. It's what we call "Mayonnaise Sushi." Glop glop glop. :sick: We had the tasting menu and it was just awful.

We ate at Alan Wong's a few years ago and it was delicious but very fancy and pricey. We wouldn't take our kids there, even though they are 11 and 9.

I will definitely try to keep you all updated! I am googling the bbq now. Sounds like something my kids would love.

Incidentally, I grew up in WNY (Batavia). My family still lives there.

Well hello former WNYer! We are in Medina!!!!! It is a small world.

In order to use our FF Miles with American we are flying out of Cleveland instead of Buffalo or Rochester. The flight out of CLE cost less in miles and gets us to HNL 5 hours earlier and only one stop (Dallas/Fort Worth). Otherwise we would have had a 5 hour layover in Newark or would have had 3 stops. Driving to Cleveland is well worth it to us.

I found the barbeque info for you. It is called An Evening at Kahua Ranch. Traditional ranch style barbecue of sirloin steak, chicken, locally grown potatoes, Waimea corn on the cob, baked beans, Big Island green salad, Kona Coffee, and dessert. After dinner: guitars, line dancing, several cowboy activities such as leaning how to rope, paying a game of horseshoes or branding. Stargazing with an 8 inch telescope. Campfire with storytelling and roasting marshmallows for smores. $125.00 per person. 808-987-2108 or www.evening-at-kahua.com

Hopefully when we go back to Hawaii after this trip (I told DH he will want to go back) we will do this. My guys would love this instead of a regular luau.

While I own VWL, I also own a 2 bedroom at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club and traded it for a 2 bedroom in Oahu at the Marriott in Ko Olina right next to Aulani. We did star gazing right from the beach in front of the Marriott and it was awesome. If you don't get to do it on the Big Island or want to do it again, I recommend it. The guy who ran it was a retired NASA employee. We also drove around the island of Oahu and ended up at Sunset Beach right at sunset. It was perfect.

lilpooh108 said:
For the Big Island, have you looked into the starlight gazing buffet they do at the Four Seasons Hualalai? It is pricey, but it's pretty special. They do star gazing for the kids at some point during the buffet. Turtles nest on the beach pretty often as well. It's just a lovely resort.

Waiola's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/waiola-shave-ice-honolulu#query:ailana%27s

There is a waiolas in kapuhulu right outside Waikiki.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter