Sunscreen

The Murfs

Addicted to Orlando!!!!
Hi

We have previously been to Florida in Feb, March and Dec. (Not in the same year) . We are going in Aug this year and are a bit worried about the heat. DH and DD suffer in the sun and come out in that red, raised, rash. We are looking to buy factor 30 sunscreen, but does anyone know if there is a very high factor sunscreen with added protection for skin allergies. Please, if anybody has any tips of how to avoid this rash. I have heard it said that you are best to stay out of the sun and keep covered up, a bit hard to do in Florida.

141 days and counting

Hi
We went last June and bought some Coppertone Sport SPF 30 which is Hypoallergenic while we were there , I suffer from psorasis and have to be careful what I use but it was fine.
We went swimming or shopping when the heat got too much!

Nikki

HI!

I bought Ambre Solaire factor 60 a couple of years ago when we went to California – it was hypoallergenic as I have the same problem. They did a factor 45 as well. I got it from Boots I think, though it could have been Superdrug.

Have a great burn and rash free holiday!
:wave:

My DH suffers the same and the two previuos recommendations are very good lotions. However I find that my DH still suffers in the face and neck area and that the suncream still doen't completly cut it for his face especially after shaving so after much research I stumbled acrosss the Body Shop face stick sun protector. It is brillaint looks like a pritt stick glue tube and he has never burnt on his face or neck. We also put some on his scalp even though he always a hat. Hope this helps.

Forgot something.

If your rash gets as bad as my DH did - he rubbed it and it bled. Go to WALGREENS(2 on international drive) speak to the pharmacist at the back and they will probaly recommend some anti-hystamins(?) which are a life saver and you can still have a drink!!! Oh and they are very cheap. Less than $5.

I had this problem a few years back, and antihystamine certainly did the trick in clearing it up - my GP suggested I always carry some with me in case of future flare-ups.

I was also advised that it was likely to be the perfume in the sunscreens which 'set me off', and was told to stick with the kind of lotion that blocks the light, rather than filters it. I find E45 sunscreen works well and doesn't affect me, but if I use more than a tiny amount it comes out very thick and white!:p

Hi

I don't want to be a pain, but DH swears by the Coppertone Sport 30 for his face as the Ambre etc seems to run into his eyes in the heat, making them very sore.

I thought I would try this on my face for a long hot day at Blizzard Beach, went on Team Boat Springs twice and then had to go to first aid as I was having an allergice reaction to something? As the reaction was affecting my throat this resulted in being taken to Celebration Hospital, in my swimming costume, by ambulance. BB and hospital staff were excellent and I was discharged with prescriptions by lunch time.

Note on antihystamine, I had taken Piriton straight away before reaching first aid, but both the paramedic and hospital doctor recommended Benadryl its non drowsy and would have worked faster, hence I stock up at Walgreens and carry them everywhere.

It was a real mystery as to what had cuased the reaction, I had'nt eaten anything, we made enquires to see if there was anything different in the water or mist at BB only to draw a blank conclusion. It was'nt until a couple of days later I had this Coppertone on again going to Typhoon Laggon, my face was starting to tingle and burn, I realised it was the suncream.

I hav'nt used it since and have been fine. Incidentally, I have used Dis Cove's sunscreen and had no reaction.

I am back to the good old Ambre Solaire, and looking forward to BB this year.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

:o Jessie

Hello to the MURFS!

I also have extremly sensitive skin (being a red head and very fair and freckled doesn't help either) and use antihystamine for other allergies.

I recommend Johnstones baby sun block, it's hypoallergenic and is great. I've also bought factor 50 from Blizzard Beach and found it BRILL! it's called Sun Sea and Swim and is also hypoallergenic and waterproof although i still slapped it on every hour just to make sure(you can never be over cautious where your skin is conserned.

Hope this helps you, you could also ask at Eckerd drug stores when you are there or ask your own GP if you are unsure, it's fine reading advice from everyone but as you know everyone is allergic to different things and just because these things work for us doesn't mean it'll necessarily work for you,

Happy Holidays,
Luv Audrey
xxxxxxxxx:)

Thanks for all the help. Will also take advice from local chemists.
Here's to a allergy free hol!!!

138 days and counting

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter