Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's fair to call people who are thinking of worst case scenarios "crazy". I'd even go so far as to call it inappropriate and bordering on rude. Please consider your words in this stressful time.

I personally do not fault anyone preparing themselves that the parks may not open for several more months. If that's what they need to do to relieve the sting, then so be it. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Sorry if I came across as insensitive. That was not my intention. I was just expressing my feelings at that exact moment and thinking about how I was sad it’s been 4 weeks already since Disneyland closed. I should have chosen my words more wisely. I don’t think anyone is actually crazy for whatever their view on this matter might be. Again I apologize

Sorry if I came across as insensitive. That was not my intention. I was just expressing my feelings at that exact moment and thinking about how I was sad it’s been 4 weeks already since Disneyland closed. I should have chosen my words more wisely. I don’t think anyone is actually crazy for whatever their view on this matter might be. Again I apologize

I truly do empathize. This is such a not normal time and many of us do not react immediately at our best. All we can do is take deep breaths and remember we're all in this together and we all want the parks to reopen as soon as it's considered safe to do so. No one wants them to stay closed longer than necessary.

Stay safe and stay strong. We will all get through this. Together. And it will be a glorious feeling when the parks return and we are all able to go home again.

Back to the airlines, out of boredem I went on United's website and all the prices to fly have skyrocketed. Our exact same flight for July has gone up almost $200 so something to keep in mind with that whole cancelling and 'oh, I'll just rebook if things are okay to go'- looks like it'll end up costing more than you might have originally paid.

After seeing the Avengers Campus delayed news tonight though we're likely postponing our July trip. I just can't decide as to when..

Thank you for clsrifying your last comment. I am going to delete it because it is not fully on topic for this thread. This isn't a venting thread, but a thread for official, factual information for people who need to know what is going on with the DLR Closure right now. Just about everyone here understands the sadness and sense of loss we share with the parks closed for so long. But I ask the participants in this thread to please stay on topic.

Dang, I just realized I have a fully paid FlexPass that expires in October. I forgot, do I need to call in and extend it, or will Disney automatically push the date out?

Glad this went smoothly and quickly for you! Can you share why you chose to go with the extension?
My last payment for it was in February, so no refund. And I just want the days back that I missed. I asked the CM, on the phone since my original expiration was 3/30 would I get back to 16 days since that is essentially what I missed, but she wasn’t sure. She said we will know that when there’s an actual date for opening.

Any more news yet or experiences for getting a “refund” for unused flex pass dates (paid in full). I’d rather not have the extension.
Likelihood of being able to request via email? I’m from the U.K. and so phone charges for a long hold would defeat the purpose. Thanks!

We paid in full and I’m still having a hard time deciding if we should get a refund or extend. My concern with the extension is that they’ll open the parks too soon, we won’t feel comfortable going, or it’ll be so reduced it won’t be a great experience. I’m also worried about what type of measures they’ll have in place to attempt to keep people “safe”.

I wonder if when the parks open, local/Southern California AP holders will be the only ones allowed into the parks for a few months to test out ways to keep everyone safe while keeping the fun level there. I would imagine if they did this, everyone else with APs would still have the dates added to the end of their pass. Then, open up to the rest of CA, go a month, then open up further. I don't know how they would add in people who have purchased tickets. It will be a big juggling act, to say the least.

I wonder if when the parks open, local/Southern California AP holders will be the only ones allowed into the parks for a few months to test out ways to keep everyone safe while keeping the fun level there. I would imagine if they did this, everyone else with APs would still have the dates added to the end of their pass. Then, open up to the rest of CA, go a month, then open up further. I don't know how they would add in people who have purchased tickets. It will be a big juggling act, to say the least.

I think it’s a real possibility that at the very least only local residents in Southern California are allowed in initially.... our governor is not going to allow huge crowds at first. He’s just not. Newsome isn’t going to have us stay home for 2.5 months only to allow Disneyland to open the gates June 1 or whenever, to anyone who wants to come. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it. So I think you could be right.

i feel that if they only opened to a certain group that would be wrong. I paid for my tickets too and should be able to have equal opportunity to use them. We were leaving in 9 day’s when it shut down. My kids are still sad, and bring it up almost daily. This was a huge deal to them. We don’t have the luxury to just pop over after work or on a weekly basis. We were planning our trip for a year. We are hoping it opens this summer, we have 2 separate weeks throughout the summer we could go, otherwise we have to wait another year or longer. Depending on sports/school schedules.

i feel that if they only opened to a certain group that would be wrong. I paid for my tickets too and should be able to have equal opportunity to use them. We were leaving in 9 day’s when it shut down. My kids are still sad, and bring it up almost daily. This was a huge deal to them. We don’t have the luxury to just pop over after work or on a weekly basis. We were planning our trip for a year. We are hoping it opens this summer, we have 2 separate weeks throughout the summer we could go, otherwise we have to wait another year or longer. Depending on sports/school schedules.

With all due respect, you may not think it’s fair, but the governor of California doesn’t really care if your kids are sad or if you have Disneyland tickets.... this virus isn’t going to just go away and everyone’s summer plans will continue as normal. I’m not saying they definitely will open to just locals at first, but Disney will have to adjust. As will the public. Opening the parks to locals only or local AP holders would be a way to keep the crowds lower. But who knows what they’ll do. I mean maybe it will be a free for all come summer and life will be normal, but I doubt it.

To clarify, since someone gave me an angry face, I totally understand why your kids are sad and I agree it’s unfair..... I’m a little concerned about what I’m reading etc about what’s going to happen in California regarding continued lockdowns and crowds etc.... worried it’s going to be very different and that we may be stuck at home out here through parts of the summer.

Last edited:
Since this is all IMHO:

I say not a chance. When the parks open anyone with a valid ticket will be able to enter. Opening in summer Disney will already be entering a decent period of AP blockouts which will naturally help minimize crowds. An easy way to further minimize crowds would be to slice FlexPass availability, drastically. And then open it up if everything operates right or parks are too empty.

I don’t think we’ll see crazy changes. They cannot keep people 6 feet away from each other, I don’t see them trying. They can stop mass gatherings for fireworks and parades and shows- which will conveniently save the budget. They will only space people out at restaurants if the state makes them. They might cut seated show capacity down so people can spread out more. They might have to run more trains than normal for the crowd level as people aren’t going to respond well to “slide all the way down to the next party”.

Sorry for your kids and family :( I was a week out from a WDW trip, it was quite the blow. Obviously I’m incredibly grateful in retrospect but that doesn’t make the loss feel any better.

Since this is all IMHO:

I say not a chance. When the parks open anyone with a valid ticket will be able to enter. Opening in summer Disney will already be entering a decent period of AP blockouts which will naturally help minimize crowds. An easy way to further minimize crowds would be to slice FlexPass availability, drastically. And then open it up if everything operates right or parks are too empty.

I don’t think we’ll see crazy changes. They cannot keep people 6 feet away from each other, I don’t see them trying. They can stop mass gatherings for fireworks and parades and shows- which will conveniently save the budget. They will only space people out at restaurants if the state makes them. They might cut seated show capacity down so people can spread out more. They might have to run more trains than normal for the crowd level as people aren’t going to respond well to “slide all the way down to the next party”.

I think you’re probably right..... the limiting to locals has been floated around, but I think it’s a long shot.

Since this is all IMHO:

The world is going to be a much different place when they start lifting the stay home orders. First, they will likely allow people that cannot work from home leave their houses for work, as long their employers can provide face coverings and maintain 6 feet between people. We will continue to see limits on how many people can enter stores at a time. Limits on how many people can gather at one time. Professional sports will likely start back up with empty stadiums. And if Disneyland opens in the June time-frame, they will limit who can enter. Limiting who can enter is the only way Disneyland can make sure people are spread out enough. I would guess that those staying at the Disneyland Resort will be allowed in, and maybe they will hold a lottery for other people to come in if there is space leftover.

If Disneyland isn’t willing to limit the number of guests that can enter, they might just hold off on opening the park at all until anyone that would like to enter can enter. Of course Disney would love to open its parks and be business as usually. But fully opening Disneyland to anyone who wants to enter is not up to Disney, it’s up to the Governor. And Governor Newsom has made it very clear that public health comes first, and we will just have to deal with the repercussions of the economy later.

The world is going to be a much different place when they start lifting the stay home orders. First, they will likely allow people that cannot work from home leave their houses for work, as long their employers can provide face coverings and maintain 6 feet between people. We will continue to see limits on how many people can enter stores at a time. Limits on how many people can gather at one time. Professional sports will likely start back up with empty stadiums. And if Disneyland opens in the June time-frame, they will limit who can enter. Limiting who can enter is the only way Disneyland can make sure people are spread out enough. I would guess that those staying at the Disneyland Resort will be allowed in, and maybe they will hold a lottery for other people to come in if there is space leftover.

If Disneyland isn’t willing to limit the number of guests that can enter, they might just hold off on opening the park at all until anyone that would like to enter can enter. Of course Disney would love to open its parks and be business as usually. But fully opening Disneyland to anyone who wants to enter is not up to Disney, it’s up to the Governor. And Governor Newsom has made it very clear that public health comes first, and we will just have to deal with the repercussions of the economy later.

This is what I wanted to say, but you said it much more eloquently. 🤣 My kids being home for a month has killed my brain cells.

With all due respect, you may not think it’s fair, but the governor of California doesn’t really care if your kids are sad or if you have Disneyland tickets.... this virus isn’t going to just go away and everyone’s summer plans will continue as normal. I’m not saying they definitely will open to just locals at first, but Disney will have to adjust. As will the public. Opening the parks to locals only or local AP holders would be a way to keep the crowds lower. But who knows what they’ll do. I mean maybe it will be a free for all come summer and life will be normal, but I doubt it.

To clarify, since someone gave me an angry face, I totally understand why your kids are sad and I agree it’s unfair..... I’m a little concerned about what I’m reading etc about what’s going to happen in California regarding continued lockdowns and crowds etc.... worried it’s going to be very different and that we may be stuck at home out here through parts of the summer.
You’re a delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter