Support Animals being banned on Delta

It really doesn't matter to me whether a dog is too tired to walk. They don't belong in grocery carts where food is going. The owner should carry the dog in a carrier if it needs to be close to them, otherwise it should be on the floor.
what about kids with their shoes in the cart where food goes and I am not talking about in the seat?

The problem with this, of course, it that it's all illegal -- and has been since ADA was passed in 1990...28 years ago.

You simply can't force disabled people to jump through hoops -- it's against the law.

Actually they can. The ADA is not the only relevant law here and the laws and regulations governing the airlines do give them some ability to make you "jump through hoops"

And that's exactly what Delta has decided to do, use the law in it's favor instead of allowing those who are now screaming "foul" because they have been abusing the law to continue the abuse.

Actually they can. The ADA is not the only relevant law here and the laws and regulations governing the airlines do give them some ability to make you "jump through hoops"

And that's exactly what Delta has decided to do, use the law in it's favor instead of allowing those who are now screaming "foul" because they have been abusing the law to continue the abuse.
Exactly.
Airlines are not covered by the ADA, although the airport would be. Airlines are covered under the Air Carrier Access Act, which puts Emotional Support and Psychiatric Service Dogs together in the same category. This link explains/summarizes the law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/382.117

The things that Delta is asking for are in compliance with the Air Carrier Access Act. Airlines were never required to allow unusual animals (like Support Turkeys), but they were required to assess the risk of flying with those kinds of animals. Now, they are using the law to their benefit in those situations.
This is the link to the Delta forms for Emotional Support and Psychiatric Service Animals.
https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/policy/EmotionalSupportAnimal-RequiredForms.pdf

Last edited:
I do understand that there are small service dogs that assist with medical issues (seizures, etc) BUT not every animal in the stores these days is a service animal and I think that is purpose of this.

Now, see, my life got infinitely better when I decided that if I see a dog in a weird place that I would simply believe that it’s a service dog and I would then move happily along with my life, comforted by the fact that more and more people with issues like seizure disorders and diabetes are getting help.

It’s something I highly recommend.

We used to live on a hospital route for emergency vehicles. One weekend it was just incessant. So loud. I said something on my FB like I was sad that people couldn’t stay ok and healthy etc. And a friend wrote that I was seeing it from the wrong side. That I could instead be glad for those people that help got to them in time and they were being taken to people who can help.

I’m glad that people with disabilities are able to get scooters and able to visit more places and are able to get service dogs. It’s more than it used to be. I assume it’s because of more education, more information, and more availability of such conveyances and dogs!

BUT geez I make a random comment about dogs in the grocery store and am to that has nothing to do with transportation - series you are going to tear my post apart that much.

No one tore your post apart. We are giving you info.

If you wish to bring an animal into the cabin of an aircraft, you should have to provide some proof that the animal in question will not pose a danger to other passengers

And that’s exactly what Delta is doing. Right?

No one is crying foul as OCC said about this. Not here at least. If anything, those of us who know the situation are saying “meh, what’s the big deal?” and bemoaning hysterical news headlines. :)

It really doesn't matter to me whether a dog is too tired to walk. They don't belong in grocery carts where food is going. The owner should carry the dog in a carrier if it needs to be close to them, otherwise it should be on the floor.

I nearly got sidetracked.

What we think about it isn’t the point; it was said that someone with a dog in the cart is obviously someone with not a real service dog. Our feelings about cleanliness aside, it’s just not true.

And the federal guidance is that the dog should be either walking or carried in a grocery store. https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html.

Good to know. I’ll read it in a minute.

But...not everyone knows everything. So it still doesn’t mean that a dog in a cart isn’t a service animal.

My MIL wants us to be all sorts of illegal with her absolutely bonafide handicap placard. Doesn’t understand why we don’t use it when she’s not there etc (two of her grown kids have the hangtags because we’re the ones that drive her places and she doesn’t have a car).

And I’m not sure of the legality of it, but she always wants me to drop her at the front then park in a HA spot. Nope. Not happening. Even if that’s allowable I’m not dealing with any altercations regarding how it would appear.

She has a bonafide HA placard and multiple issues that got her the placard. And she doesn’t know how to, and how not to, use it.

Editing to add....

I read through it. “Generally, the dog must stay on the floor, or the person must carry the dog.”

“Generally” is a word with meaning. And it doesn’t mean “always”. So...

Last edited:

[QUOTE="bumbershoot, post: 58738088, member: 141567"

What we think about it isn’t the point; it was said that someone with a dog in the cart is obviously someone with not a real service dog. Our feelings about cleanliness aside, it’s just not true.

[/QUOTE]

Even minus the pets, if you think those carts are clean, you are kidding yourself. We have carts where I work, and we never, and I mean never, sanitize the carts. At most we wipe of spills and dump out any crumbs or crud.

When you use a cart assume it is a giant germ with wheels. Sure clean off where you put your hands. But know the basket is not clean, and don't toss anything in there without a container of some sort. People putting loose fruit in the carts gives me the heebie jeebies. Just don't!

[QUOTE="bumbershoot, post: 58738088, member: 141567"

Even minus the pets, if you think those carts are clean, you are kidding yourself. We have carts where I work, and we never, and I mean never, sanitize the carts. At most we wipe of spills and dump out any crumbs or crud.

When you use a cart assume it is a giant germ with wheels. Sure clean off where you put your hands. But know the basket is not clean, and don't toss anything in there without a container of some sort. People putting loose fruit in the carts gives me the heebie jeebies. Just don't![/QUOTE]
just think about those leaking packages of fresh meat on bottle of cart and not clean after

It's sad people are abusing the system so people who really need service animals have to work harder to prove their animals are legitimate. Saw on Inside Edition how easy it is to get "documentation". A producer or someone got the "documentation" to show how easy it was and flew with a pig.

A legitimate animal is one thing, but I hate seeing people who have their "service animal" with them in the grocery store. I'm talking the ones without the vest or ID sorry for in the cart, etc. Of course the stores can't do anything but it's gross. Glad airlines are clamping down on this.

Agree this title is bad..,

To all, I agree the title needs work LOL !

There's a story today where United declined to fly a peacock. Most of the stories describe the bird as a "support peacock," but actually the owner paid for a seat for the bird. I'm not sure who thinks a full-grown adult peacock will fit in an airline seat without some drama for the bird, other passengers, and crew -- but apparently the Brooklyn "artist" thought the fame was worth the ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter