• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swan/Dolphin vs Coronado

kiramay

DIS Veteran
We’re planning an adult trip this fall for F&W and considering these two resorts. We’ve stayed at CBR and POR most trips but this time it’s just two of us. I’ve always wanted to try the Coronado but it looks like the Dolphin is walking distance to Epcot and HS, which is where we plan to go.

Pros and cons?
Thank you!

We just stayed at Coronado for an 8 night stay with only 2 park days. We usually stay DVC and were impressed with the quality of the room and resort. Most deficiencies we found, such as certain food places being closed or crowded main pool, were all Covid related. We got a pretty cheap rate through a travel club and were very happy.

All that said, for a trip centering around F&W I would chose Swan/Dolphin EVERY TIME. The location can't be beat. We own at BWV strictly for our F&W trips. We usually do MK, HS, or AK in the morning...come back for pooltime/nap...then walk over to F&W each night. It is so convenient. After making a few (drink filled) laps of World Showcase being able to bypass Disney transportation and having a 5-10 minute walk back to the room it priceless to us.

I love Coronado, it's my favorite moderate resort but we tend to stay at Dolphin just about every trip. We will sometimes do a split stay with a value or a moderate the first night or two of the trip since we drive and get there around 2 and go right to a park. It seems silly to me to pay higher rates for that one night. Since you have to take a bus to AK no matter where you stay, we will sometimes do a second night in that value or moderate and do AK that 2nd day, then it's over to Swan/Dolphin. Epcot and HS are our two favorite parks and we love being able to walk to both. You can't beat the price.

Cons: Some people say it doesn't feel like Disney since they are Mariott Hotels, they are both convention hotels so, no, they do not scream Disney. You can not charge back to your room from the parks if that matters to you. Currently they are not using Disney buses but are using Mears buses to get to the parks. There have been mixed reviews about that but the biggest complaint is that they have to drop you off at TTC at MK instead of where the Disney buses drop you off.

Swan or Dolphin would be my choice for those 2 parks. The pricing is often equal to CBR.

However there are a few things to note:

No ME from the airport, $30 Resort fee per night. Parking charges are almost a wash as all Disney resorts now charge for overnight parking.

Also you don't get the option for $5 MBs and you can't charge back to your hotel folio using your MB from the parks.

Dave

That was pretty much our choice for our May trip and we went with the Swan. Major consideration was being able to walk to Epcot and DHS or take the boats. Prefer to stay off buses as much as possible. Plus currently there are more restaurants open at Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin and Yacht Club.

I've stayed at both and would chose Swolphin just based on location and access to Epcot and DHS. You just walk out the hotel and go right to DHS or left to Epcot! Or take the boats! The only downside to Swolphin is parking fee does not include parking at AK/MK parking lots (unless they recently changed). So that will add to your cost if you drive your own wheels.

We’re planning an adult trip this fall for F&W and considering these two resorts. We’ve stayed at CBR and POR most trips but this time it’s just two of us. I’ve always wanted to try the Coronado but it looks like the Dolphin is walking distance to Epcot and HS, which is where we plan to go.

Pros and cons?
Thank you!
We have stayed at CBR, POR, CSR, Dolphin, and Swan.

Of the 5, my favorite is probably the Swan. (Note: Construction around the Grotto pool should finish this summer. The OP mentioned going or F&WF. Construction should be finished by then. For others who plan to go swimming, avoid the Swan & Dolphin until the construction is finished.)

The Swan is an excellent, luxurious hotel with rooms that are larger than the other 4 resorts, and more "adult" than the other resorts (since the OP mentioned this is an adult trip):

Swan 01.JPG

Also, the Swan has some great views:

Swan 02.JPG

The Swan is conveniently located to the Disney Boardwalk, which has several dining options. The Swan and Dolphin also both have several excellent dining options.

From the Swan & Dolphin, it's a short boat ride to Disney's Hollywood Studios (DHS). (You also can walk but it's a longer walk since you have to cross over to the path next to the Boardwalk Resort.)

The Swan & Dolphin have expensive resort and parking fees (I think currently $35 and $29 per day). Be sure to take these into account when pricing out a stay there.

The Dolphin typically is a few dollars less per night that the Swan.

Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR) gives you access to Epcot and DHS via the Skyliner. The Skyliner is fun and relaxing in the middle of the day, but has incredibly long lines in the morning (for park opening) and evening (for park closing).

Skyliner.jpg

Coronado Springs Resort (CSR) has a new restaurant in the middle of the lake called Three Bridges Bar & Grill that's a lot of fun. The main pool at CBR also is a lot of fun. Of the hotels you are considering CSR should be the least expensive.

CSR 01.jpg

CSR 02.jpg

There is no announced opening date for Port Orleans Riverside (POR). We like the food court and main pool at POR.

The Swan and Dolphin are within walking distance of Epcot, but it's a fairly long walk. This Google Maps images gives you some idea of the walk. You also can take the boat to Epcot but this is rather slow because, when heading to Epcot from the Swan/Dolphin, the boat makes stops at the Yacht & Beach Club and at the Boardwalk.

Epcot.jpg

I've stayed at both and would chose Swolphin just based on location and access to Epcot and DHS. You just walk out the hotel and go right to DHS or left to Epcot! Or take the boats! The only downside to Swolphin is parking fee does not include parking at AK/MK parking lots (unless they recently changed). So that will add to your cost if you drive your own wheels.
Swan/Dolphin are considered on site resorts and you should be able to park for free at all Disney parks.

If going to EP, F&W and DHS are your goals, Swan/Dolphin 100%. You can walk or boat to both parks and Skyliner to DHS. It will be so much more convenient than staying at CSR.

Tower at CSR has been my favorite resort since it opened but I would recommend Swan/Dolphin in this case.

Before moving to GDT for our last 3 trips, we would typically stay at Boardwalk and loved to be able to walk to HS and Epcot. Just didn't think it was worth the price difference considering we now just walk from Epcot to Boardwalk and catch a $7 Lyft back to GDT.

If the main goal is Food& Wine and it's just the adults, go for the location.

Swan/Dolphin are considered on site resorts and you should be able to park for free at all Disney parks.
Correct since you are paying an overnight parking fee as the Disney resorts you receive free complimentary parking at all Theme parks. Just show your Swan / Dolphin room key or if you are using MBs and have your Swan & Dolphin reservation linked the CM can just scan your MB.

Dave.

For the F&W, I would stay at the Swan/Dolphin to enjoy walking or riding the boat. If you do stay at the Swan/Dolphin and are going to a area within WDW that needs bus transpo use the Boardwalk Inn's bus station because the bus service from the Swan/Dolphin isn't very good right now as they aren't presently on the WDW inner bus system. If they get back into the WDW bus system then that would be different.

I would definitely say Swan or Dolphin if you plan on doing F&W. We stayed at both CSR and Dolphin last time and while CSR is a lovely resort the location of the Dolphin was fantastic. We’ve managed to get the Dolphin for the same price as a tower room at Gran Destino so really a no brainer for us. Plus we got resort fee and parking included.

Another vote for Swan/Dolphin here! We have stayed at both Coronado and Swan and our next trip we will go back to the Swan. Especially if including Epcot and HS in the trip. Walk to Epcot is so easy....you go around Crescent Lake and enter at the International Gateway entrance. We thought it was really convenient and the hotel rooms themselves are much better than Coronado.

We like to stay at the Swan vs the Dolphin as the Swan has queen beds where the Dolphin has double beds.
Also if you book through the Marriott site you can use a Senior Discount or AAA Discount. Then just link the reservation to your MDE.
From the Swan/Dolphin it is a very easy walk to EPCOT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter