Swimming at DC if you can't swim????

annie123

Earning My Ears
I know this seems a really stupid question, but Can you swim with the dolphins if you can't swim???.

My friend has booked to take her 8 year old to DC over xmas and she doesn't swim. Its such a lot of money for her to waste if she will have lots of problems.

I have a 9+5 year old who are confident swimmers, but I wouldn't take them until my youngest was the age he could go and he is so skinny he would freeze at the moment.

Please help - because as Vernon said in the previous thread its a once in a lifetime experience.

Yes,

Most of the action takes place in waist deep water. It's a beach, leading into a lagoon. About 20 yards or so out, it drops off to about 30 feet. You stand at the edge, and trainers bring the dolphins to this area and let you pet them, get a kiss, send them off to do a flip, and talk.
For those who can swim, you paddle to the middle of the lagoon, and get a ride back to the shore. You can't go underwater because the required vest keeps you on the surface, so even if you can't swim, it's no problem. For those who can't swim, they get what is called a "slingshot" ride. These people start their ride from the edge, holding on to the dolphin, which takes them to the middle, and brings them back.
A person in my group did this and they had a blast. The trainer will ask each person how you want your ride, and it's no problem to do the slingshot.

Check out my web site with pictures to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.pompano.net/~robvia/SeaWorld1.htm

The trainers were very good at talking to the groups and making sure what people's abilities were. As has been said the vests are bouyancy aids and you really can just bob about in the water with a minimum of effort. That , unfortunately, doesn't help someone who can't swim and feels uncomfortable being out of their depth. It is confidence in the water, if the child will feels fine having their parent right next to them then they are probably going to be OK, but it is a risk that they will panic. It's the same with the "slingshot" idea it will certainly work, they will have fun if they do it and there is plenty of help on hand if they can't keep hold of their steed. BUT if the child decides they don't fancy it, it isn't going to happen. If that is the way things turn out I'm certain the child involved is going to be happy with the experience as they have it (waist deep) petting and spending time with the dolphin, it is more likely the parent will feel they haven't quite had as much value as they could have. The temptation in that situation is to "encourage" the child to take part in something that the child REALLY doesn't want to do. The risk is turning what was a really nice experience for the child into one that is most traumatic

I'm sure most parents , if they think about it ahead of time, wouldn't force their child to do something they REALLY are scared of. Without that pre-thought there are many who will think "argh this has cost me $X and they aren't even doing that whole thing" and try to talk/force their child into something the child isn't ready for. The kids will LOVE it , let them go at their pace and let them have what they consider a great time, not what the parent thinks they should be doing. JMHO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter