• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Takeaways from our Fantasy 11/9 Western Caribbean Merrytime with Small Kids

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
Hi there! We just got back from our 11/9 Fantasy Western Caribbean cruise and I wanted to share a few thoughts. I remember a big stressor for me was the difficulty of choosing DCL excursions with a four year old given the age requirements, so I especially wanted to report back on those for others in the same "boat" (haha). Overall it was a really amazing experience and I am very glad we went on the cruise, so my critiques of the less-than-ideal aspects below did not really detract from the overall experience.

Dining
Our dining service team really blew us away. Our server, Johnny, was like a magician: he could tell right away if someone didn't love their dish and brought a replacement, and always had some kind of thoughtful extra step that I would never have thought to ask for (e.g., shelling my shrimp on my seafood pasta). We had amazing table mates as well and are so glad we didn't opt for a private table--I have a feeling we will be lifelong friends. My only complaint with dinner was that the Dine & Play at early seating never materialized--we only saw it at the late dining, which is too bad because I was looking forward to it being offered at early dinner as well since it was listed in the first-day navigator.

Entertainment
The Frozen show newly offered on the Fantasy blew us away. The others were nice too, but Frozen is really special.
We also really liked all the little shows in the D lounge like Mirror Mirror.
I do wish the ending of Aladdin wasn't quite so scary--the new movie did away with the horrifying giant snake but it was still in the show. My youngest son just buried his face in his hands but there lots of terrified children screaming and crying in the audience.

The kids really loved the kids club, and from the open house and pickups, I can see why. The character interactions are very elaborate (e.g., Dr. Strange teaching children to open a portal; tinkerbell leading kids in a talent show). And the star wars simulator is incredible. Also, I splurged on the Princess Tea for my princess-obsessed youngest son (I was able to request the "princess" rather than "prince" theme for him and it was allowed, in case anyone else in the same boat), and was amazed at what an amazing experience it was. He kept asking every day of the cruise if he could go to tea with the princesses again and he loves playing with his princess dolls, charms, and music box.

The Merrytime aspect was just so-so for us. Most of the events were in the atrium between early and late dinner, and they were PACKED. We were sandwiched in elbow to elbow (someone pushing through actually knocked over my child), and so many kids had to be raised on shoulders blocking the view for everyone. We went to a few and then avoided the atrium like a plague whenever there was a Christmassy thing. And I know the ship was not crowded because we had plenty of room on the pool deck at sail away and on pirate night, and the pools were always pretty quiet--it was only the Christmas events that were a nightmare. We did do the gingerbread men, and it wasn't the greatest either. They only gave white icing and one (!) kind of candy for decoration, and the cookies tasted like cardboard. I think this is the last "themed" cruise I will do.

Ports
We did the following excursions, which were a range of experiences from terrible to incredible:

Cozumel: Cozumel Ruins & Discover Mexico DCL excursion. This was just awful. The ruins on Cozumel are nothing like the mainland and are just a few piles of rocks. The site was absolutely overrun with mosquitos, and even though we blanketed ourselves in Off spray, I counted over 40 mosquito bites on one leg alone. The tour then stopped at a museum which was fine but nothing to write home about, where we had a just-okay lunch (tacos, not very flavorful) and a piñata activity (ok, but I wish they had waited for the kids to break it instead of giving the kids one turn and then the tour guide breaking it), and then a third location with a chocolate demonstration, which was interesting for us but disappointed the kids, as the historically authentic chocolate is grainy and bitter. At every stop, the tour guide pushed everyone to go shopping at the end for tourist-y junk at the gift shop. We declined, but had to wait for 30 minutes for everyone else to shop at each stuff, and ended up getting back to the ship almost 2 hours late, which we were very unhappy about as we had planned activities on the ship for the afternoon that we missed.

Grand Cayman: SeaWorld Semi-Submarine. This was fun. There was a great view of the shipwreck and fish. But it is a very short excursion (about 40 mins), and a long transport process there and back due to tendering and waiting for the excursion meet-up at the port (about 1.5 hours), so next time I'd either stay on the boat at Grand Cayman or spend more time on land.

Falmouth: Deluxe Jewel Beach. This was amazing. The beach was gorgeous, the pools and lazy river were beautiful, and the food was out of this world (especially the local food specialties like grilled pineapple pork and meat pastries). The views from the bus are gorgeous too so we did not mind the long drive. It was the most expensive and longest (full day) excursion, but worth every penny.

One parting thought: I did miss the stateroom navigator delivery, since you can see the movie times, characters, and activities all in one place on paper but not on the phone. I made a run to get one before breakfast every morning, but the in room delivery was much more convenient.

One parting thought: I did miss the stateroom navigator delivery, since you can see the movie times, characters, and activities all in one place on paper but not on the phone. I made a run to get one before breakfast every morning, but the in room delivery was much more convenient.
Did you mention this on the after cruise survey?

We've been on the Fantasy twice(2017, 2019) early dining both times. The cms for the dine and play never came into the dining rooms to gather the kids. They just stood at the entrances and waited for parents to bring the kids to them. I had gotten up to use the restroom, otherwise I wouldn't have seen them.

Thank you for posting this. I had such a hard time finding info on excursions with kids when we did this cruise last March. (Can't believe it was less than a year ago. Seems longer).

For those interested in ruins in Cozumel, I would suggest a private driver. We used one and had a nice experience at San Gervasio with our 6 year old. Since we weren't with a group, we has time to wander around and see the extent of the ruins. None of the buildings are large, but there are a good number of them. We were told it would take 3 hours to do the full loop (which we did not do). We are wildlife enthusiasts and also enjoyed seeing the birds, coatis and iguanas.

We used a picaradin based bug spray after being eaten alive while wearing Off in Costa Rica.

Did you mention this on the after cruise survey?
Yes! I really hope they switch it back!

We've been on the Fantasy twice(2017, 2019) early dining both times. The cms for the dine and play never came into the dining rooms to gather the kids. They just stood at the entrances and waited for parents to bring the kids to them. I had gotten up to use the restroom, otherwise I wouldn't have seen them.
Yes, we did go to the entrance the first couple of nights but no-one was there. We also had a table right next to the entrance at animators (where we dined 3 times) and I kept an eye out in case they came late/early and never saw them.

Cozumel: Cozumel Ruins & Discover Mexico DCL excursion. This was just awful. The ruins on Cozumel are nothing like the mainland and are just a few piles of rocks. The site was absolutely overrun with mosquitos, and even though we blanketed ourselves in Off spray, I counted over 40 mosquito bites on one leg alone. The tour then stopped at a museum which was fine but nothing to write home about, where we had a just-okay lunch (tacos, not very flavorful) and a piñata activity (ok, but I wish they had waited for the kids to break it instead of giving the kids one turn and then the tour guide breaking it), and then a third location with a chocolate demonstration, which was interesting for us but disappointed the kids, as the historically authentic chocolate is grainy and bitter. At every stop, the tour guide pushed everyone to go shopping at the end for tourist-y junk at the gift shop. We declined, but had to wait for 30 minutes for everyone else to shop at each stuff, and ended up getting back to the ship almost 2 hours late, which we were very unhappy about as we had planned activities on the ship for the afternoon that we missed.
THANK YOU!!! For posting this, we are booked on a similar excursion - I think I'm going to change it.

Yes! I really hope they switch it back!

Yes, we did go to the entrance the first couple of nights but no-one was there. We also had a table right next to the entrance at animators (where we dined 3 times) and I kept an eye out in case they came late/early and never saw them.

I wonder if they stopped doing it at early dinner then? If so, that's really bad, especially since it was in the navigator.

I wonder if they stopped doing it at early dinner then? If so, that's really bad, especially since it was in the navigator.
Hmmm.... if it had been me, I probably would have asked the Oceaneer's staff "what gives?" Maybe it was being tested, and the test is over?

Its so hard to get excursions for little kids. My DS will only be 2 1/2 on the cruise, so my options are VERY limited. Actually in Jamaica they offer NOTHING (except pay for a private driver)! We just gonna walk to Margaritaville. Im just disappointed a FAMILY cruise line has nothing for the whole family.

Its so hard to get excursions for little kids. My DS will only be 2 1/2 on the cruise, so my options are VERY limited. Actually in Jamaica they offer NOTHING (except pay for a private driver)! We just gonna walk to Margaritaville. Im just disappointed a FAMILY cruise line has nothing for the whole family.
Well, DCL doesn't own the tour companies. They can only broker whatever tours are available in the port.

I am sorry that you were not able to utilize Dine and Play. We are supposed to be in an area where we can be seen, or walk around the restaurant. The Fantasy is the only ship that has Dine and Play at the early seating. I am not sure why it wouldn’t have happened on your cruise.

I know but if you search the port activities there are some that say 0-2 then when you go to book they change the age to 3.
That's because of the liability issues. If DCL lawyers feel the excursion is hazardous (legally) for under 3 year olds, then the cruise line raises the age limit. DCL standards are often higher than others.

I am sorry that you were not able to utilize Dine and Play. We are supposed to be in an area where we can be seen, or walk around the restaurant. The Fantasy is the only ship that has Dine and Play at the early seating. I am not sure why it wouldn’t have happened on your cruise.

We were on the Fantasy in June with early dining and had a similar issue - and the one or two times we did see them, we weren't even to dessert yet. Someone in our group would just walk the kids up after dinner if they wanted to go.

We were on the Fantasy in June with early dining and had a similar issue - and the one or two times we did see them, we weren't even to dessert yet. Someone in our group would just walk the kids up after dinner if they wanted to go.
Sorry about that! We are scheduled to come at a certain time and because of the way our schedules are written, we have a certain amount of time to do Dine and Play. Because of this, the servers are usually pretty good at getting the kids meals finished by that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter