Talk me into OKW for March

Degli

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone,
I need some pros for OKW. We are used to staying at WL or VWL where everything is at your fingertips. No car needed to get around. To go to the pool for a swim after the parks, it's a short walk from your room. Is OKW very spread out? We plan on taking our 72yo mom and worried about the walk to the pool, bite to eat or steps up to the room. Is there an area close to everything that I should request? What are some other tips? I have heard nothing but good things about the resort from friends staying there. I can get so much more for my points. It's just hard to tear myself away from our favorite VWL. Thanks

If you drive or rent a car, you'll literally park outside the door of the villa. Depending on which pool you'll want to use, you will find several quiet pools located throughout the resort and can take the bus from the stops farther back in the resort up to the front pool where the slide is.

As far as travelling with someone elderly, I think OKW was more convenient for me when I travelled with my mom (who was in her mid-70s) since I could park just outside the door and didn't have to walk down long hallways. You might want to consider asking for a first floor villa for medical reasons, esp. if she suffers arthritis. Plus, the rooms are larger.

If you can budget the time, take the boat over to DTD to shop. The boat only runs at certain times and the trip is longer now that it stops at SSR but it's just an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

The boat dock is by the check in area and Olivias. I would definitely ask for a first floor ( peope say first floors may be noisy ) or a building with an elevator. It's the lack of elevators that will keep OKW a last resort choice for me. We've stayed once, had a building with an elevator and loved our stay, one of our nicest yet.

Bobbi :flower:

How many buildings have elevators? Are any close to everything? Does OKW have an internal shuttle? Would rather not have to rent a car.

My parents LOVE Old Key West, and we will be back there this March. During spring when everything is blooming, the resort is particularly nice. My Mom and Dad appreciate being able to park right outside the room, but I admit we have never been there without a car. When we did Wilderness Lodge last spring they loved it, but the walking to the lobby and pool exhausted my Mom. When we stay at Old Key West, we drive to the main pool or restaurant and walk to the closer pool. Mom steps outside the room and the car is right there waiting for her!

The big rooms are a real plus. If we are heading to a park and my parents are too pooped to join us, they hang out in the room or out on the wonderful balcony. My Dad likes the boat ride to DD and they both enjoy Olivia's. We always ask for a ground-floor room, which is easy to get because most folks seem to request upper floors. A few buildings close to Hospitality House (main area) DO have elevators. I guess I am trying to say that while the other resorts have lobbies, the steps add up. If you have a vehicle at OKW, it is very user-friendly for anyone with limited mobility. If you want to stay without a vehicle, just ask for a building close to the main area. This will give you easy access to check-in, restaurant and shopping, plus the main pool. If this request can't be granted, every bus stops at this main area so getting down there is easy.

Just back for OKW with my 76 year old mother we did not have a car. We were in bldg 35 a short walk to the bus stop and quiet pool we were on the 2nd floor the stairs are split so she had no problems walking them though she said she was glad we were not on the 3rd (no elevator) this was our 2nd stay at okw and she loved it.

if you often travel with your mother - get DVC to note it - they will try to find a first floor for the elder.

I love the higher floors because the views are so much better there.

I am a big view person.

the first floor is nice, but I like studios. the studios views on the first floor are pretty bad. mostly you can see the air condition units or you are surrounded by plants, trees, shurbs, bushes.

on the second and upper floors you only see the views. OKW has some really great views.

the elevators are only in building 62, 63 and 64.

these are close to the main building where everything is located - resturants, gift shops, tennis court, basketball (half court), main swimming pool, sandy beach for the littles ones to play, small gym, community hall, library, bike/boat rental, and the boat to DD are all here.

There are 3 buildings (numbered in the 60's...like 62, 63, 64 or 64, 65, 66) that are on Miller's Road which have elevators. They are also very close in terms of walking distance to the Hospitality House (HH) area, which is the main area that includes check-in, the gift shop, Olivia's restaurant, the main pool, the kiddie area, the boat dock (to get the boat to DTD).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter