TCD is a VIP! A FW Cabin trip report May 2009

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
Way back in the day, the TCD crew began their camping history at FW by staying in the Wilderness Homes, and then the Wilderness Cabins. The TCD kids were real young back then. Then, we tried real camping, with tents and rented units. In 1999, we bought our pop-up camper. We haven't stayed in a cabin since.

But, as Mothers Day weekend approached, the TCD kids and I discussed what we could do for good old Mrs. TCD. We agreed that it would be nice to take Mrs. TCD to the Flower and Garden show at Epcot, maybe have a nice meal, and spend the night at a WDW resort, and then head home. We talked about AKL, where we have stayed before.

But, we are a family of 5. And the TCD DD's are all teenagers now. There are not a lot of good options for WDW resorts for parties over four people. We could squeeze into one hotel room, but it isn't real comfortable. And, when you start pricing two rooms, it becomes too expensive.

So, I suggested that we try a cabin. Everyone loved the idea. I tried to book one on-line for one night. Nothing. I tried for a couple of days, nothing. That seemed odd. This is not a super-busy time at WDW. I tried some other date ranges, and found that I could book a cabin at a passholder rate, including the Saturday night we wanted, by booking for 5 nights. So, that's what I did. And then I called a couple of days later, and dropped the extra nights we didn't need. Viola- we had a cabin reservation.

Well, we got up early Saturday morning, May 9th, and made it to Epcot for rope drop. The weather was great. Warm and clear. Not too hot early in the morning. We hit all the major attractions in Future World, and headed to Mexico at 11. I asked at the hostess stand in the restaurant if there was any availability for lunch, and they said I could have a table as soon as they opened at 11:30. We rode the ride, and by the time we got back, we were being seated in a table right by the water!

We had a great meal, then headed over to Norway and rode the Maelstrom, and looked around the gift shop. It was starting to get hot now. We headed back to Future World, and visited to exhibits in the Wonders of Life pavilion. It was getting to be near 1:30 pm, so we visited Spaceship Earth, and then headed over to the Fort to check in.

When we arrived, there was a line of traffic beginning right after the guard shack. We could see that cars were parked everywhere, and there was a cast member stopping each vehicle as it pulled in to speak to the driver. This was odd. Something was going on here that we did not know about. There isn't usually this kind of traffic in this area.

When we reached the castmember, he told us that there was going to be a triathlon at the Fort on Sunday (the next day), and that folks were arriving for a pre-triathlon check-in. I think the contestants were supposed to park in the Magic Kingdom parking lot and take a shuttle, but apparently a lot of them decided to just drive to the Fort. That created a bad situation. I told the castmember that I needed to park somewhere so I could go inside to check in. He said that I could park wherever I could find a spot. Gee, thanks. There were no spots, and people were parking in the grass and other places that were not parking spaces. But, as soon as I pulled away from the castmember, someone pulled out, and I pulled right into a parking space. Sweet!

We went in to the Reception Outpost to check in. There was a bit of a line, and there were a ton of people in there, but all of the windows were open, and I didn't have to wait long for a hostess. I will note here that I did see the on-line check in window. But, there was a mother with a couple of kids at that window for the entire time that I was waiting at line. She had one of her kids, who was about two, sitting on the counter while she obviously discussed every minute detail of her stay with the hostess. I kept on thinking that kid was going to fall off the counter, because mom was not watching him! I am glad I didn't check in on-line, because I was called to my window, and checked in before that mom resolved all of her issues.

So, we check in. The hostess tells us that our cabin is ready. She pulls out the map, and writes the cabin number on it : 120. Sweet! That is one of the two VIP cabins on the 100 loop. You cannot reserve it. You cannot request it. You just have to be lucky to get it. Really lucky. Like TCD!

We also had reserved a golf cart for the day, and we went ahead and picked that up.

And, we headed back to our cabin.

When we arrived, there was a housekeeping cart in the driveway. That is odd. We already had our keys, and the hostess said the cabin was ready. But it wasn't. There were two castmembers still cleaning the cabin. They said it would be another 15 minutes. So, the DD's took off on the golf cart, and Mrs. TCD and I walked down to the Settlement Trading Post for a look around.

When we checked in, I got this letter about the triathlon. Didn't sound like too big of a deal:

FW595102009.jpg

But, as we walked toward the trading post, I could see that there was a lot of stuff set up for the race:

FW595102009001.jpg

FW595102009002.jpg

We looked around the trading post, and then headed back to the cabin. We sat outside at the picnic table for a couple of minutes, and then the castmembers came out and said it was ready to go.

Here is a photo of the cabin's porch. This is different from the porches on the other cabins. It is narrower, and they provide two rocking chairs. The regular cabins have wider porches, and the picnic tables are on the porch:

FW595102009004.jpg

The weird thing about cabin 120 is that it is a mirror image of all of the other cabins at the Fort. As you face this cabin from the street, the entrance doors are on your right. All of the other cabins at the Fort have their entrance doors on the left.

Except for everything being a mirror image, the inside of the VIP cabins is the same as the other cabins:

The main room:

FW595102009012.jpg

The kitchen:

FW595102009013.jpg

The bathroom:

FW595102009007.jpg

The bedroom (note the bed is on the right, instead of the left):

FW595102009008.jpg

FW595102009009.jpg

The bedroom TV:

FW595102009011.jpg

The main room TV had a DVD player. I thought I heard somewhere that there was supposed to be a DVD/VCR combo. But we only had a DVD player. And, I'm not sure if the other cabins have a cable modem, or if their internet comes from a DSL line or something else. But, we had a cable modem:

FW595102009015.jpg

I am surprised that the cabin TV's are kind of old and, pardon my language, crappy. The TV reception was pretty poor. I have heard that the cabins were renovated. I am not sure if this it the kind of TV's that they give you in the other cabins, but if they are, I say get with it Disney. These cabins are not cheap. I have had better TV's in Comfort Suites and Courtyards by Marriot. And payed a lot less for the room. And got a free breakfast. So, let's get with it here, Disney.

I have heard of bounceback offers, and have seen this flyer before. But maybe some of you haven't. This was in our cabin:

FW595102009014.jpg

Here's a shot of the front of the cabin:

FW595102009016.jpg

This is a photo of one of my DD's holding a towel animal up in the window. I guess these things are a big deal to some people. I say just clean my room, and hold the towel animals, and I'm good:

FW595102009017.jpg

Since we are in a cabin, and only spending one night, I think it took us 10 minutes, if that, to get our stuff in and get ourselves situated. Then, it was time to explore.

First, we headed down to the old River Country area, because it looked like a lot was going on down there. This trailer and some bikes were set up in the grassy area next to the Settlement playground. Doesn't look like that many people were going to be participating in the triathlon:

FW595102009018.jpg

Here is a look at the Fort's beach area:

FW595102009019.jpg

FW595102009020.jpg

As we passed toward the back of Pioneer Hall, this is what we saw set up in the back the area behind Pioneer Hall:

FW595102009021.jpg

I'll have some better pictures of this later, but what you are looking at here are rows and rows of bicycles.

I didn't catch the part of the letter that said that there would be approximately 2200 athletes participating in the triathlon. 2200! That's a lot! How is this going to work? How are 2200 athletes going to get to the Settlement. Where will they park? Where will they eat? Where will they go to the bathroom?

This is sounds crazy!

It was!

I have it all documented.

And photographed!

First, about the bathrooms.

Here are a few that they set up in front of the old River Country entrance:

FW595102009022.jpg

And, there were plenty more in other places.

Here is another shot of the bike area behind Pioneer Hall:

FW595102009023.jpg

Only 20 photos per post, so time to finish this one.

Don't worry, there's plenty more to come.

TCD

Continuing on, we headed back toward the old River Country entrance. Here is another look at all the Porta-Pottys:

FW595102009024.jpg

Here we have a little bike workshop, with the Fort Wilderness pavilion in the background:

FW595102009025.jpg

Off to the side of the pavilion, there was a big board set up for the contestants to check their race numbers:

FW595102009026.jpg

FW595102009027.jpg

Registration for the event was inside the pavilion:

FW595102009028.jpg

FW595102009029.jpg

FW595102009030.jpg

FW595102009031.jpg

FW595102009032.jpg

FW595102009033.jpg

FW595102009034.jpg

This chart tells me that the swimming part of the race (the first part) will start at 7 am, but the racers will go in waves, all the way up until 8:

FW595102009042.jpg

Here is a map that shows where everything is set up in the Settlement area:

FW595102009044.jpg

Note that it looks like the 2200 racers will bike behind my VIP cabin, and then come back in front of it. This should be interesting.

It was.

I also have some photos of the maps showing the race course, and I will post those in a bit.

Some more shots of the contestants doing whatever it was that they were doing:

FW595102009045.jpg

FW595102009046.jpg

FW595102009047.jpg

Next up, we take a spin around the Fort. . .

. . . and some photos of the 900 loop.

TCD

What a sweet Mother's Day gift! I hope the gobs of athletes didn't mess with your plans too much. Good grief at the sea of bikes! I can't wait to read more!

What a sweet Mother's Day gift! I hope the gobs of athletes didn't mess with your plans too much. Good grief at the sea of bikes! I can't wait to read more!

This triathlon could have caused us major problems if we had specific plans to do anything after Epcot. But, we didn't. So, it was fun.

It will take me a while to get this mother of a trip report (pun intended) finished, so I had better share this tid-bit:

There will be another triathlon at the Fort this coming weekend.

So, if you plan on being there this coming weekend, be prepared.

TCD

We were there in 2006 while this was going on. The were a LOT less competitors then. Plus we left early in the morning and didn't return until all the mayhem was over. I am hoping when we go back next year, this will be over with. :-)

Love the report and pictures. Can't wait for more. popcorn::

This triathlon could have caused us major problems if we had specific plans to do anything after Epcot. But, we didn't. So, it was fun.

It will take me a while to get this mother of a trip report (pun intended) finished, so I had better share this tid-bit:

TCD

I was reading through your report,(which is great of course:thumbsup2) and thinking how glad I was that this year we missed the Triathlon!! We arrive on Thursday, and I guess it really has never been all that bad. I know one year in fact they extended the 11:00am check out to the afternoon sometime due to the fact that leaving was next to impossible as the bike riders streamed out and then back in. I usually have an account to service on Sunday night, but next weekend I don't. Maybe they will let us stay an extra night for the all the bother???;)

While it was interesting to see the preparations going on for the triathlon, I was more interested in checking on the state of things around the Fort.

My first stop, of course, was the pool. I have already posted all of my photos of the pool and splash zone in the "Something is Happening Near the Pool" thread.

Suffice to say that the pool was very crowded. I shudder to think what it will look like on Memorial Day weekend. But, the splash zone should be ready to go by then, and perhaps folks will spread out some more, and things will be better.

Next stop was the 900 loop. Surprisingly, there were still some men working on things on this Saturday afternoon. They were working on the irrigation lines for the new landscaping. It looks like all of the pad expansions are done, and the new grills and most of the picnic tables are in.

Here is a bundle of tree stakes that was laying there at the 900 loop entrance:

FW595102009053.jpg

Here are some of the workers' vehicles:

FW595102009054.jpg

And some more shots from the entrance area (note that I will be sneaking back later for a walk around the loop; these are just shots taken from the golf cart/spymobile):

FW595102009055.jpg

FW595102009056.jpg

FW595102009057.jpg

I have seen this cart at the Fort before. It was parked in front of the Meadow Trading Post:

FW595102009058.jpg

I say good job on that cart!

When we go out looping, we always check on the 2000 loop. There is always something interesting going on there. Here are some campers who decorated their site with bats and Halloween decorations (on May 9th!?):

FW595102009059.jpg

We then headed down to the group camping area, where we saw this sign at the bus stop:

FW595102009060.jpg

FW595102009061.jpg

Hmmm. . . .

This bus stop is going to be closed for a long time tomorrow. I wonder why?

Here are some more porta-pottys and water set up in the middle of the jug-handle across from the 2000 loop bus stop:

FW595102009062.jpg

FW595102009063.jpg

There is another sign at the 2000 loop bus stop:

FW595102009064.jpg

FW595102009065.jpg

FW595102009066.jpg

Yikes!

No buses until 4 pm?

The 2200 bus stop is a bit of a hike from the 2000 loop.

That stinks.

It turns out that the running course will come right by here. The jug handle area is where the runners will be turning around before they head back to the Settlement area tomorrow.

From here, we head back down to the Settlement area to look around some more.

TCD

I was reading through your report,(which is great of course:thumbsup2) and thinking how glad I was that this year we missed the Triathlon!! We arrive on Thursday, and I guess it really has never been all that bad. I know one year in fact they extended the 11:00am check out to the afternoon sometime due to the fact that leaving was next to impossible as the bike riders streamed out and then back in. I usually have an account to service on Sunday night, but next weekend I don't. Maybe they will let us stay an extra night for the all the bother???;)

Tony- The triathlon this past weekend was the Danksin Triathlon series. Almost all of it was run inside the Fort. The distances were relatively short (half mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run), so everyone was gone by noon. Next weekend's event is an Ironman 70.3. It will be held on May 17th. I would think this will probably be going on for most of the day. I don't know exactly what will be closed at the Fort, but it will definitely make an impact. Here is a link that I found with information about the next triathlon: http://www.floridahalfironman.com/2009IMFHAI.pdf

I'm sure you will have fun anyway.

And, I will not be there next weekend, so it is your turn to take photos.

I am thinking that maybe, the splash zone will be open.

TCD

TCD

Gosh, I hope there isn't another one the weekend after that! Actually we're planning on taking advantage of the fun stuff at FW a lot on this trip (less park time) and it sounds like a mess even with the shorter triathlon. Buses closed and everything. ack!

Sounds like a great trip! Congrats on getting one of the "special" cabins!!!
What- no picks of exactly how crowded the pool was? you're scaring me dude. LOL

Oh wait- you said on the other thread so I'll head there next. LOL

That DVD player looked new. I was in a cabin in the 2200 loop last month, and I had the DVD/VCR combo in my cabin. I would imagine that as the combos die out, they are replaced with just DVD players.

Glad you had a fun weekend!:thumbsup2

Gosh, I hope there isn't another one the weekend after that! Actually we're planning on taking advantage of the fun stuff at FW a lot on this trip (less park time) and it sounds like a mess even with the shorter triathlon. Buses closed and everything. ack!

Sounds like a great trip! Congrats on getting one of the "special" cabins!!!
What- no picks of exactly how crowded the pool was? you're scaring me dude. LOL

Oh wait- you said on the other thread so I'll head there next. LOL

Not to worry. There is a triathlon at the Fort on 5/17/09, and then there won't be another one until 9/6. There is also one on 9/20. That looks like it should be it for the year. These events do cause a bit of a disruption. If I was only able to go to the Fort once in a while, I might be upset if one of these events was being hosted during my stay.

Here are some pool pics from 5/9 (this is too crowded for me-and it will undoubtedly be more so on Memorial Day weekend):

5909FW018.jpg

5909FW019.jpg

5909FW020.jpg

That DVD player looked new. I was in a cabin in the 2200 loop last month, and I had the DVD/VCR combo in my cabin. I would imagine that as the combos die out, they are replaced with just DVD players.

Glad you had a fun weekend!:thumbsup2

That DVD player was not new, and it did not work very well. It was like the ones you see for sale for $25 these days. What about your TV? Was it new, or like the one in my photos? How about your internet connection? Was it a cable modem, or something else?

TCD

Here are some more porta-pottys and water set up in the middle of the jug-handle across from the 2000 loop bus stop:

FW595102009062.jpg

FW595102009063.jpg

TCD

TCD, What is it with those porta-potties. They look like they are for munchkins...i mean vertically challenged folks????

TCD, What is it with those porta-potties. They look like they are for munchkins...i mean vertically challenged folks????

Must be the camera angle, and that the area where they were is in a bit of a depression. These were full sized port-potties. And, that is a hand-wash station next to it (I haven't seen a portable hand-wash station before).

TCD

Now we are back in the Settlement area for a look around. It is surreal. Usually, there is no one around back in this area. But, this afternoon, there are people everywhere.

There is a big bird house on a pole that sits outside the Fort Wilderness pavilion. I wonder what the birds thought about all of this:

FW595102009067.jpg

FW595102009068.jpg

FW595102009069.jpg

FW595102009070.jpg

FW595102009071.jpg

FW595102009072.jpg

FW595102009073.jpg

FW595102009074.jpg

FW595102009075.jpg

FW595102009076.jpg

I know what you are thinking. . .

TCD took too many bike pictures.

I guess you are right.

Sorry.

But, that is a lot of bikes.

Who knows when you will ever see such a thing again?

Do you think they have enough porta-potties?

I am not so sure.

So, from here, I think I went back to the cabin to sit in the rocking chair and drink some beer before heading out on my next mission.

I am going to head back to the 900 loop, because I know those guys won't be working late on a Saturday afternoon.

TCD

TCD,
Here is my picture of the sea of bikes from when we saw the Mens race back in 2006:
dsc00099.jpg

Now we are back in the Settlement area for a look around. It is surreal. Usually, there is no one around back in this area. But, this afternoon, there are people everywhere.

There is a big bird house on a pole that sits outside the Fort Wilderness pavilion. I wonder what the birds thought about all of this:

FW595102009067.jpg

FW595102009068.jpg

FW595102009069.jpg

FW595102009070.jpg

FW595102009071.jpg

FW595102009072.jpg

FW595102009073.jpg

FW595102009074.jpg

FW595102009075.jpg

FW595102009076.jpg

I know what you are thinking. . .

TCD took too many bike pictures.

I guess you are right.

Sorry.

But, that is a lot of bikes.

Who knows when you will ever see such a thing again?

Do you think they have enough porta-potties?

I am not so sure.

So, from here, I think I went back to the cabin to sit in the rocking chair and drink some beer before heading out on my next mission.

I am going to head back to the 900 loop, because I know those guys won't be working late on a Saturday afternoon.

TCD

TCD,
Here is my picture of the sea of bikes from when we saw the Mens race back in 2006:
dsc00099.jpg

Hmmm.

That's a lot of bikes, too.

Your ticker says you are going in 5 days.

Do you know that there is another triathlon on 5/17?

That's in five days, too!

TCD

Thanks for the info & pics! Was your cabin within walking distance to Pioneer Hall?

I'd say yes. :)

In fact, this cabin is within spitting distance of Pioneer Hall.

I'll post some photos later that show that you can see the cabin from Pioneer Hall.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter