TDL May2012/Tours in Japan/ Closures in TDL/ Itinerary advice needed!

blueeyes_two

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
We were so excited to find out that We are going to Tokyo for a friend’s wedding in May 2012 (WE just decided that we are going to be able to swing it and do it with a healthy budget.)

Figured we would leave NY on Thursday May 10 arriving on Friday may 11th. Get to hotel and get some food and go to bed. Sat May 12 just wander Tokyo - easy day- and maybe do and evening tour of Tokyo.
Not sure what to do Sunday. (Husband loves electronics, comics, anima) so i am sure that i can plan the day around that.

Sunday May 13th evening transfer from city Tokyo hotel to hotel at Tokyo Disney. Monday 14th wake and hit all the rides that may be closed on the Tuesday the 15th.
Tuesday do Disney Sea. Wednesday go back to whatever we want to see again and Wednesday travel to next hotel between Tokyo and Kyoto. Not sure where we will stop. But i think it would be nice to try and get a hotel with a hot spring. :cheer2:

The Wedding is to be held Sunday, May 20th Shrine in Kyoto so we would want to be arriving at Kyoto Friday evening or sat morning.
Monday May 21 or Tuesday May 22 we would leave Kyoto and pick up with a tour if possible. Sat we would head back to Tokyo and then we would then leave on Sunday May 27th.

This is just the tentative plan for right now; we are not locked into anything other than the wedding. We would also leave NY on Thursday May 17th arrive on Friday May 18th get on the train right away to Kyoto.

Some questions that i am hoping someone will be able to help out with:
I was wondering would you mind sharing what tours any of you have booked and been on in the past?
Do any allow for a 3-4 day stop over to Tokyo Disney??

How/who you booked it through? I get really overwhelmed and i don’t know which to pick.
We want to hit the top tourist locations, but would prefer a small group I think.

We would like to do the climb to mout Fuji but don’t think we are fit enough to do it. Is there any other way to the top? Does maybe a van travel up to the top?

I have been researching some tours about that last about 6 -9 or 10 days and i am not sure i want to get locked into something for that long but i know i do need a plan with some structure so that we get the most out of our time while we are in Japan.
I was thinking a 2-3 day tour of Tokyo would be great. And i would make my own hotel reservations. Any recommendations on where i could get a tour like that?

We had planned 3 days at Tokyo Disney and through my research i think we will reserve Mira Costa. - -do you think we should plan on 4 days? How large is it in relation to Disney in Orlando?

ALSO did you see on the site that the following will be closed? Does anyone have any insight on?
In Disneyland Tokyo:
May 7, 2012 - May 25, 2012 Monsters, Inc. Ride & Go Seek
May 8, 2012 - May 14, 2012 Mickey's House and Meet Mickey
May 15, 2012 - July 13, 2012 Beaver Brothers Explorer Canoes
May 15, 2012 - July 13, 2012 Western River Railroad
May 15, 2012 - July 13, 2012 Tom Sawyer Island Rafts
May 15, 2012 - July 13, 2012 Mark Twain Riverboat

Does anyone know if these mainly kiddie rides? Or are they adult rides??
I have not had a chance to really research into the rides yet.
This will decide if we need to get to the parks early in our trip - before the 15th before they close so that we can go on them or if they are kiddie rides then it will not matter for my planning.

And in Disney SeaMay 7, 2012 - May 25, 2012 Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Will be closed.

I know I’m a little all over the place with my questions but this is what they are for now. I have a lot more reading to do and i am sure i will have some more later on.

THANKS so much in advance for all your help!! :hippie:
Speak to you soon,
--L

Hello...hoping I can help.

First of all the wedding...has your friend explained the gift giving style here in Japan? This may not apply if the person they are marrying is not Japanese. If you need help let me know and I will explain about Japanese tradition.

As for Mt. Fuji...official climbing season is only open in July and August. It is still quite snow covered in May and without a guide or special equipment it may not even be possible to attempt it. I have climbedit 4 times now...the first time because I wanted to....the rest because someone else wanted to. It has always taken me between 8 and 16 hours to get to the top and that is starting at the 5th station which is about half way up. Then another 4 hours down. No transportation to the top. It isn't worth it anyway. It is best viewed from afar and very dirty on the actual mountain. Instead i would recommend going to Hakone and either taking a ride on the ships on one of the lakes or the ropeway....either offer beautiful views of Fuji if the weather is good.
Miracosta is a beautiful hotel, but quite expensive. Try to get a harbour view.

The TDL list you gave of closed attractions...the only one that is unique is Monsters Inc. and none of the rest are anything to worry about missing.
In Disney Sea however it is a real shame that you will miss Journe to the Center of the Earth.

Hope that helps

thank you for responding. No i dont know about the Wedding gift giving.

Mt fuji is out and i will take your advise on Hakone. i will research it.

also what other hotel would you suggest at Tokyo Disney?

Is your friends soon to be spouse Japanese?

As for hotels.....Miracosta and Tokyo Disney hotel are the nicest, but any of the bay hoy hotels likethe Sheraton and Hilton are nice also and abouthalf the price...well not quite half, but almost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter