Team 6 - Team Ohana - Check in and introduce!

Hey Denny! -- Ohana means Family, and that means No One is Left Behind, whether you have high or low miles or minutes, or you don't want to track at all, we want you to stay with us if you want to! :grouphug:

I think that many of us are planning fewer miles this year for various reasons. I like tracking because it keeps me motivated, but I'm not trying to set any records, and I don't think anyone else is, either. It's just nice to have a friendly place to get to know a few WISHers better, and cheer each other on! :cheer2:

Maria :laundy:

Maria: I second Mel's question about your chin. How are you healing?

Lost and Ben. Love him as a character. I keep hoping he's good, though, just so I can be blown away by whatever plot twist makes it so. Preferably with more confrontations with some of the survivors and Widmore. And a little birdy--Mike--gave me an inside track on BSG online. I'll be checking it out tomorrow. Mike is now my favorite man, even beyond Shirtless Sawyer. (DOOD isn't jealous, as he knows how fickle I am.)

Mel: Awww, from Twilight Zone to Kiss the Girl. That kind of sums up your relationship, doesn't it? :rotfl2: :love: About the worthiness of Lost....Hmmm. I watch it, but I'm sort of conflicted on whether to recommend it. I guess it depends on the season. But the problem is that the series has a complex and even convoluted mythology, so you kind of have to watch all the seasons. If you're like me and watched the first season, loving it, I think you'd stick around for some of the weaker seasons. The series HAS gotten better since they've announced an end date, I think.

JenG and Jeanne, too: Actually, I was thinking that if you wanted to stick with Ohana but not track your miles, that would be cool. I believe we all benefit from our association with a team--from accountabilty to goal setting to tips to support--and any member of the Ohana family who wants to stay should stay, with or without tracking. Non-tracking was the "scream team" option I mentioned, except we would scream team for you, too. I'd just note you weren't tracking miles on our roster.

I think we're all in agreement with what Maria said to Denny:

Hey Denny! -- Ohana means Family, and that means No One is Left Behind, whether you have high or low miles or minutes, or you don't want to track at all, we want you to stay with us if you want to! :grouphug:

I think that many of us are planning fewer miles this year for various reasons. I like tracking because it keeps me motivated, but I'm not trying to set any records, and I don't think anyone else is, either. It's just nice to have a friendly place to get to know a few WISHers better, and cheer each other on! :cheer2:

Maria :laundy:

Nancy: Mel and I are co-captaining, I think. I don't remember how it came about, exactly, except that Jeanne and Jen deserve a break. Knowing me, it was probably a coup of some sort. :lmao:

Thanks for the link to the log--I'll check that out, too. I'm always looking for new ways to keep track. I too need the Lost recaps (and think there's actually new information in some of them?) I gave up on all the nuances of the show a long time ago, not that you'd know it by the way I rant at the tv someimes.

You did back-to-back spin classes? :worship: How's your BL challenge with Beth coming along? I don't know who to root for, as everyone's a winner! :cheer2: I'm with you.

Denny: What Maria said. I can't say it any better. We love having you here, and I think we can encourage you NOT to overdo the running. And I'm pulling back on the mileage so that I can focus on XT and strength training myself.

DAVE's UPDATES ON TEAM CHALLENGE

Again, I don't think any Ohana cousins should worry about tracking if they don't want to, but here are the plans as they stand now....

Well guys since Lily has given her blessing we can continue with getting the teams ready to go.

First step is to replace the old roster threads on the "Welcome to the WISH" section at the top of the Events and Competition. I will along with pretty princess Susie (Escape) make the changes to the master team roster and the individual captains and co captains will keep their team rosters updated.

Now on to the spreadsheet. I vote we chuck it and do this instead. The team captains can just keep a running total that they put on page one of each months team thread. Then if another team wants to know they would just need to check that. If a team member wants to puplish their running total individually they can do it in their signature area and update it as often as they want.

I will need a current roster of each team along with the captain and co captain. Susie and I will add new members to the teams that are lowest in members till all are even.

I have the tripple Ds roster already but not their co captain.

Please comment on what I've suggested and make recommendations.

Thanks guys

Team Panda:goodvibes

What do you all think?

Good Evening, Team!

My chin is much, much better. You can hardly tell it is injured, and the bump is about the size of a penny, so I'm considering myself pretty lucky!

I have no problem with submitting a monthly total of miles/minutes. That might be more practical, anyway. Surely I can remember to do it once a month...

I'm off to watch a very Duggar wedding. I have a minor in Anthropology, and that's kind of how I look at a family of that size -- I'm interested in how they live, and I might want to adapt some of the things from their culture (I'd love to have my ds do all the laundry! :)), but I want to learn about them rather than adopt their way of life -- I think I would be certifiable if I had 18 kids!

Maria

Maria: glad your chin is doing better :) I have to admit that I'm fascinated by the Duggar family too-- I know I couldn't raise that many kids, I have one wonderful little one and that is really enough for me, some nights I'm just so happy to make it through till her bedtime :sad2:

I'm happy to report once a month (that was usually all I remembered anyway :confused3 ) I keep my hours on a calendar that I print out monthly, so this works great for me.

I managed 6 miles today and decided to try intervals-- I just read Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals and decided to follow his run/walk program. With 4min run and 1min walk I managed to maintain a 12min/mile average pace the whole time which is really good for me. I now have to decide if we are really going to go to FL for the Princess 1/2-- I really want to but am having trouble justifying the money (and finding a sitter for DD5).

First, the two important issues:

Maria, glad to read that your chin is better.

Debra, you're a LOST fanatic too! Awesome. That show is so addictive. I've only seen part of Season 1, and seasons 3 on, so everyone once in a while, I have ? ( Such as, "who is santa lucia and libby?") I need to go back and catch up on seasons 1 and 2 so I have the full background.

Well, keep me on the team. I've re-inserted my Ohana membership card into my wallet, next to the picture of the family that was in my wallet when I bought it. I am working out 6 days a week, but my miles are nothing. Just let me know when and how I should start reporting in.

Hi Team!!

I've been so busy lately that when I finally had the time to come back there were quite a few posts to catch up with. I am sure I didn't follow a lot of it, but I felt better just trying to catch up.

I've never been the best poster, but would love to stick with the Team again in 2009. I am planning to include some biking riding in my regular training this year, so my miles should increase, even if my time does not.

Next weekend, I'll be doing a local 5K trail run, and then next month (Feb 15th) I'll be off to Austin for another half marathon!

Maria--You weren't alone in watching the Duggar wedding, although I fell asleep about 1/2way through last night (later showing), so my DW recorded it on the DVR.

It's great that so many of us (all of us?) are coming back for our "Sophomore Year" on Ohana! I love the new tracking idea for the group - it sounds much more elegant and potentially less burdensome for the captains. With so many of us working on weight loss this year, I am wondering if it would be fun/useful/interesting to track weight lost as a team as well? In the interest of being less burdensome to the captains, I would be willing to serve as numbers-keeper for that if called upon to do so.

Nancy - I have printed out some calendars from that page. What a great resource! Thanks for sharing!

I can't imagine what you'd hate about those meetings! Oh wait, I think I can. ;) I do think there is something to be said about support, but really, I don't think I ever actually found a whole lot of that at the meetings I have been to.

Maria - thank goodness your chin is doing better. I am so glad you didn't break anything!

I've found a great new workout that I am loving - did I mention this before? It's the Gaiam resistance band workout and it is helping my back feel SO much better, I almost can't believe it.

So do we start tracking on Feb 1??

Maria: So glad to hear your chin is better, with hopefully no scarring. (Although you'd have such bragging rights if you did scar!) Can you believe I'd never heard of the Duggar Family? Another culture indeed!

JenB: Great job with pace of your RW intervals! Is that a strategy you're thinking about keeping with your races? I hope you can participate in the Princess Half--it sounds like a lot of folks will be there. We're still up in the air about traveling during the time of the Princess Half. (We'd come to Disney during spring break, catch some spring training baseball, and just scream team the race.) Like so much of travel plans, we wait until the last minute. :sad2:

Denny: I love that you're a card-carrying Ohana-ite, and we rank right up there with your other family for the privileged wall real estate! :rotfl2: I had no idea you were a LOST fan. You skipped season 2? I'd let the cat out of the bag as to those characters, but don't want to spoil it for you. If you're hooked it's worth watching to fill in the blanks. I even suspect that catching season 2 as a backstory might be more fulfilling than watching it straight through. What do you other Losties think?

Richard: Yay! Richard's back! I knew you couldn't resist Ohana's sweet siren song! ;) I didn't realize you have a trail run coming up in addition to your half. You're going to rock both!

Jeanne: Can you feel the love tonight? YES!!!! Oh, wait, that's probably the Hakuna Matata team's song. :lmao:

Corrina: Thanks for the heads-up on the Gaim resistance band workout. I'm obsessing about my back strength these days, and will look into it. Hey, don't you have a show coming up? How's that going?

Mel: Speaking of other aspects of one's life, how's your new gig?

TEAM UPDATES

Here's Ohana's sophomore class so far...

1. CHIMERA: Mel (Co-Captain)
2. CORINNAK: Corinna
3. DEEKAYPEE: Debra (Co-Captain)
4. DENNYHA: Denny
5. GATORPHIPPS: Christa
6. GRIZBUZZ: JenG
7. JBUCCI: JenB
8. JEANNEG: Jeanne
9. JEN117: Jen
10. LAUGHINGPLACE1999: Julie
11. PADISNEYFAN: Nancy
12. TIBERIUS: Richard
13. WORFIEDOODLES: Maria and WORFIEDOODLES’ DH: Dennis

Did I miss anyone? I haven't heard back yet from Robert and Linda, Morgan, or Kayci.

We start tracking Feb. 1st, I think. It looks like some rules for recording are being suggested/hashed out as of tonight.

I like Corrina's idea of tracking weight loss as well, for those of us who have that as a goal. Because the recording of miles/minutes is fairly streamlined, I think we can probably get away with one thread???

On the new thread, I think it might be a good idea to have each of us (re)introduce ourself with our experience, this year's goals, and maybe a little personal information. That will help our new Ohana teammates get to know us. We're very welcoming--drinks anyone?--but I always like to have a "cheat sheet" of names/backgrounds/personalities when I join a new thread.

Did everyone get a chance to see Jeanne's suggestion about team visitations? I really like the idea!

Good Evening, Cousins!

I'm a slacker...but now I have TiVo! :woohoo: I blew off my workout because the cable company couldn't make their original time, so they were here during my workout. I'm a little sad, but honestly, I'm so psyched about the TiVo! I just put BSG on a season pass (oh! I need to do that with Lost, too!), so I won't miss an episode.

I am happy to report no scarring at all! :thumbsup2

I think we are a fine-looking group, and I look forward to welcoming new cousins! :grouphug:

Debra -- Have you ever read G.A. McKevett? I really think you would like her Savannah Reid series. She's a p.i. in Southern Cal, and there seems to be alot of murder in her small town. She's actually a Georgia girl, all the kids in her family are named after towns in Georgia. Anyway, they are quick reads but I find them fun in the Plum vein. The first one is Just Desserts. :coffee:

Corinna -- I'm up for counting the weight loss -- I certainly can use another place to be accountable! ;)

Jeanne -- Just to clarify, what exactly won't you drink to? :lmao: Sorry, I had to be a little evil! I hope you are laughing, 'cause I am!

Richard -- I am just discovering the wonders of the DVR, and I think I love it! ::yes::

JenB -- I started out with MfM, and it hasn't failed me yet! I really like the plans, I hope you find they work well for you. :cool1:

Denny -- I agree with Debra, if you like Lost it is worth catching up. I thought the new episode was very well done. :happytv:

Nancy -- How is the BL competition coming? Beth is a whirlwind with getting those workouts in, so I know she's keeping you honest! :goodvibes

Mel -- and anyone else who's interested -- I just saw the release date for the new Diana Gabaldon -- I believe it's 9/29/09, and the title is An Echo in the Bone! Oh, and the new Plum is titled, Finger Lickin' Fifteen -- now doesn't that just scream Lula?! :rotfl2:

Jen, JenG -- 8675309. I think that says it all. :wave2:

Christa, Julie -- I don't have a song for you, but I'll wave anyway! :wave:

Adios, Amigas!
Maria :upsidedow

Jeanne[/B] -- Just to clarify, what exactly won't you drink to? :lmao: Sorry, I had to be a little evil! I hope you are laughing, 'cause I am!

I get it from Nancy....she's such a bad influence! :lmao: This is us after the famous V&A wine pairing dinner!
TerrysCD004.jpg

Maria: I love the 80's songs :thumbsup2 We had lengthy discussion at work today about fav 80's tunes and bands, I'm thinking of making an 80's running mix for myself

Deb: I have no idea if I will do the strict intervals in a race. They seem to be working well on the TM, but the race environment is so different and I always worry about pissing someone off if I stop to walk in front of them but have enough trouble worrying about myself that I'm not great at noticing who is behind me... I'll see how it goes but I really do seem to be overall faster this way...

I've asked our friend who was the emergency sitter for Marathon Weekend if she'd be up for a weekend in March (in NJ, not as fun as WDW). Still waiting on a response-- 3 days no e-mail reply, probably not good news but we are supposed to see her tomorrow so I'll find out then :rolleyes2

Another big plus for the princess 1/2 weekend is a Bare Naked Ladies concert at Universal on the 7th-- of course I should goto bed early if I plan to run but who can pass up a good concert?

Debra - I am definitely back! Thanks for the kind words!
Maria - Watch out for that DVR; you'll never be able to go back to life without one....but you'll love the feeling of control over the television like venver before!
JenB - Another big supporter of MforM. It got me through my first half marathon (of 8 and counting, plus other races, too!). I still find that I do better with the run/walk than I do running alone.

Hey, Hey Ohana! Who couldn't resist coming over here and looking at the people in the great pics???

Debra, Maria, Jeanne, Nancy and everyone! How the heck are you all? So glad we are all playing the game, again! C'mon over to our side anytime!

XX Connie

Hey, Hey Ohana! Who couldn't resist coming over here and looking at the people in the great pics???

Debra, Maria, Jeanne, Nancy and everyone! How the heck are you all? So glad we are all playing the game, again! C'mon over to our side anytime!

XX Connie

Connie, we just have no idea where these people have been. Just look at those pics of them laughing and acting like they are having fun. Some People.

Hi guys:wave2:

Visiting Panda:goodvibes

XX Connie

Yay, Connie.....where you been, girl? Long time, no see! I see you're signed up for Goofy in 2010.....:worship:

Jeanne, come over to the dark side with me and Debra!!!! Suzy, (escape) will be there!, We will get this bad boy under our belts and be the Queens of the world!!! Us go, Goofy 2010!!! :thumbsup2

Jeanne, come over to the dark side with me and Debra!!!! Suzy, (escape) will be there!, We will get this bad boy under our belts and be the Queens of the world!!! Us go, Goofy 2010!!! :thumbsup2

Only if you promise me we can get wasted afterwards......... I gotta have something to look forward to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter