Tell me everything I need to know about Disneyland

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
Ok, so when it comes to Disneyworld, I've been going there since I was 4, so I'm familiar with everything. Disneyland...never been. Were thinking of doing a california trip in 2007. Figuring 1st week of May timeframe maybe? (opinions on this?) Anyway, our DDs will be aged 5.5 and 3 yo at the time. Trying to figure out how much time we need, what attractions are a must see, what restaurants to eat at, how transportation works. We've decided we're staying at Grand Californian already, just not sure of which view, etc. And what we were thinking, is 1.5 days at Disneyland and .5 days at California Adventure. We thought we'd focus on rides that are unique to CA, since we're going to Disneyworld later this year. SO, please give me any suggestions, tips, information that you have on everything! Thanks.

Just want to subscribe as we are considering a trip to CA/DL and area sometime this year. We've never been to DL and don't know much about it. It took me forever to find it on the map in our atlas last night!

Everything you need to know? That could take a long time. I'll have a shot at a few suggestions.

I would suggest going for at least 3 days if you can. Transportation is easy as the Disneyland Resort area is very small compared to WDW. The have Disneyland, then just across a walkway is California Adventure. Their 3 hotels are all in walking distance as well, with Downtown Disney on the way to the hotels. So, unless you plan to go places besides Disneyland, you really won't even need a car while you are there. On our last trip we rented a car just to get us from the airport and then returned it near Disneyland, then on our last day they picked us up so we could rent a car again for a day. It was cheaper than a shuttle as there were 3 of us.

The Grand Californian is a beautiful hotel. As far as the views, I think it just depends on your budget. I usually get the standard view at hotels and sometimes get a complimentary upgrade. If it is a big price difference, I think of what I could get with that extra $ and always decide to stick with the standard view, but everyone has their own opinion on this.

As far as good food goes, it really depends on what you like. It would be a lot of fun to do a character breakfast with your kids. They have one in each of the parks and the hotels. Some of my favorite foods are the snacks (dole pineapple whips like in WDW, ice cream at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor in a fresh made waffle bowl, Wetzel's Pretzels in Downtown Disney, etc). I hear great things about the Blue Bayou (haven't tried it yet, but will this Saturday). I usually go the cheap food route. DH and I got soup in sourdough bread bowl at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in California Adventure and we enjoyed that (it was nice to not have traditional fast food). The Carnation Cafe gets good reviews as does Red Rocket's Pizza Port. I know there is a old thread on this board that talks about best & worst food at Disneyland, so you may want to do a search.

Attractions depend on your interests. We went in September with my 5 year old nephew and 2-1/2 year old niece and they loved almost everything. The 5 year old went on everything that he was tall enough for and enjoyed it (especially Star Tours, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain). The 2-1/2 year old didn't really like the dark rides in Fantasyland. They both loved Gadget's Go Coaster in Toontown, the tea cups, and all of the rides in Flik's Fun Fair at California Adventure. Also make sure to see Turtle Time with Crush.

I've never gone in May, so I can't really give you an opinion on that. The crowd patterns are very different that WDW. I know weekends are always a lot more crowded (especially at night) because a lot of locals come for the fireworks and on dates and stuff. Just know that holiday weeks and Saturdays are always more crowded. California Adventure is always less crowded.

Happy planning and have a wonderful trip. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me. I love live vicariously through others as they plan their trips.

Oh where to start...

First welcome to the MK Forum. Next prepare for a landslide of suggestions.

A couple of questions to start.

1. Any interest in visiting San Diego (Zoo, Legoland, SeaWorld, etc) on this trip?
2. What type of rides do you DD like / dislike?
3. Are they little princesses or tomboys?
4. Will there be a 'babysitter' along to let the parents be alone for a while?

If you're just talking about the parks, 2 full days should be ok, but you might consider a third day if you want a little down time.

As for dining locations, are your DD picky eaters, require a kid friendly location or can go just about anywhere?

1. We are planning to visit other areas. We're planning probably 7 nights total, not sure where. DH & I would like to visit a nice beach resort at least one night. Other possibilities, legoland, maybe seaworld (not as high a priority), Hollywood, bev hills, universal. so any recommendations on which to go to and avoid are good.
2. DDs like anything! We took them on their 1st trip to Disneyworld 2 mos ago, and DD(now 4) went on everything she was tall enough for. My 1.5 yr old went along and was scared of nothing also. So by May of next year, they both should be good to go on whatever they can
3. I think some of both?
4. No babysitter...we want to enjoy the vacation with the girls, and adjust our dining and activities to make it enjoyable to everyone. We most likely will not be visiting downtown disney this trip either. No too-fancy restaurants for them, but any casual, sit-down meals with french fries or a hamburger or something are fine.

You may want to look into getting a Southern California citypass for your tickets. It comes with 3 days Disney, Sea World, Knott's Berry Farm, San Diego Zoo. Costco sells them cheaper, or you can go to citypass.com and get the details.

I definitely think you'll feel too rushed going for only 2 days, even if you have done the rides at WDW. A lot of the "same" rides here are actually different. I suggest 3 days as my top suggestion. As for other things to do, Universal doesn't have much for little kids to do. Sea World or Legoland would be much better for their ages. I know you've already decided on GC as your hotel, but DL is not like WDW. The offsite hotels are just as close as the onsite ones, and much cheaper. That would allow you to stay longer.....Anyway, have fun!

I suggest you visit other disney boards and sits as well... mousesavers for some savings tips and Micechat... a VERY active disneyLAND board (and not so active DisneyWORLD board... the opposite of these DISboards). I'll be going to Disneyland in April for the first time in 15 years, and this will be my first time staying for more than one day, the first time staying at a hotel near there, and the first time to see California Adventure and their Downtown Disney. We're also going to Legoland one day, and another driving north on Scenic Highway One, with a stop at San Juan Capistrano ; Newport Beach for a harbor cruise and lunch, then onto Santa Ana for a brief visit to the Science Discovery Museum. Those are the PLANS and they can all be shot to @#%# if the traffic is a nightmare.

My suggestions (for what they are worth ;) ) would be stay 3 days. Disneyland has a lot to do and see, don't go thinking its a smaller, paler version of WDW that doens't have a lot to offer. Also, don't get too hooked into the comparison game. I visit both WDW and Disneyland and have learned when I get too busy comparing, I forget to have fun and just enjoy. I notice a lot of WDW regulars who come back from a visit to Disneyland with less than stellar experiences spent a lot of time comparing and went with a lot of preconceived ideas. Both have a lot of similarities, magic but a lot of uniqueness too. I love Disneyland and never miss WDW when I am lucky enough to be there!

If you are going to San Diego we have stayed at the Loew's Resort on Coronado and loved it. Very relaxing, not as far from downtown and the old town district as you might think and a beautiful beach right there. La Jolla and Del Mar are also places we have enjoyed while in the San Diego area. Good luck and have fun with your planning!

When I am planning a trip to a new locale, I generally buy a guidebook or two about the area. Disneyland is much too big for anyone here to tell you everthing you need to know. I would recommend Birnbaum's Disneyland 2006 and The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2006. Between those two, you will learn a lot. At that point, what people post here will make more sense.

The Grand Californian is a great choice, especially for your first trip to DL! I would suggest a Downtown Disney view. It is still affordable, and it is really nice! We loved being in our room and being able to go out to the balcony and view the people and shops/etc. below. If you can get floor 3, it is actually better to be closer to Downtown Disney, as opposed to floor 6, because you can actually hear the music below if you open your door, etc... It is quiet with the door closed, though, so there is no noise problem. If you're lucky enough to get the right location, you could have live violin music playing below you and enjoy it from your room-it's really nice!

I think that you're not giving yourself enough time to enjoy the Disneyland Resort. It is smaller than WDW, but there is still a lot to do there, and if you really want to enjoy it, I would do at least 4 days, since you've never been there before. Remember, you also want to enjoy the hotel and Downtown Disney, not just the parks.

You definately won't need a car, since you're staying onsite. You can walk everywhere you want to go.

The rides at Disneyland are not exactly the same as at WDW. Even Dumbo, although, the ride is the same, is set up totally different, with water under it-I was so missing this at MK! All the Fantasyland rides are different, plus there are ones that aren't at MK. Once we realized this when we were at WDW, we were just riding everything and re-discovering the rides! I think you will do the same with Disneyland! California Adventure is also a really nice park. I think you'll want to spend more than a 1/2 day there. There are many things there the kids will like-Monsters Inc, Bug Land, Aladdin, Disney Animation, etc... Also, Disney Animation is totally different from at MGM, so be sure not to miss it!

If you're going to San Diego, I would encourage you to go to either the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park-they are fantastic-the best zoo's around! Your kids would probably really like Legoland-they have a lot of rides and activities for younger kids. Universal might not be as good for the ages of your kids. Sea World is always fun, but it is just a regular marine park-dolphin show, whale show, etc...-nothing extra special.

Goofy's Kitchen is great for the character breakfast. I've also heard the new Lilo & Stitch character meal is good over at the Paradise Hotel, but I haven't done it yet. I don't care for the one at the Grand Californian. There's also one in Disneyland that's ok, and one at CA Adventure that I haven't done. I think you really can't go to wrong with Goofy's-it's at the Disneyland Hotel.

Happy Planning! :)

Thanks for all the info. We've bought a few guide books, just need to find time to sit down and go thru them now! The reason we were planning only 2 days at Disneyland parks was because we wanted to make this more a 'California' vacation then a 'Disney' Vacation. Since theres so much to do, we wanted to try to visit some other places, and stay at some other nice hotels, maybe one on the beach one night. We'll see. Maybe I can talk DH into 3 days at the parks. The reason we don't really plan on Downtown Disney is because even when we went to Disneyworld a few months ago, we didn't go there in the evening with the kids. Even with their naps, they were done for the day by 9:30. Anyway, thanks for the info everyone, and if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter